Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ignition for magneto.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Z=ke, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Z=ke

Z=ke
    from Long Beach

Newbie here. A friend of mine is asking ME about wiring on his '32 Ford 2-door sedan. It's a pretty cool car that he has owned for 60 years (he's 75) and it's nearing completion of its 3rd build. More on that later when I get some pics.

Here's where we are: we have a typical 4-pole aftermarket switch. I don't think we're going to use this one because it has ON, START, ACCESS and OFF. What would we do with ACCESS these days?

Anyway, the flathead motor runs a magneto. We found a relay in the box of electrical parts removed 20 years ago. I think what the original electrical guy did was wire a normally closed relay to the ground of the mag. Turn switch to ON and the relay breaks continuity; OFF and the relay closes grounding the mag.

This seems fail safe to me and a pretty easy way to get the job done. Any advice?

Oh, BTW, I'm Zeke over on the GJ but there was already a Zeke here.

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

A better idea ( and pretty failsafe) would be to use a Vertex Mag switch directly from mag to a good ground.
    The relays seem to have more problems etc.....
    However you cant just use any switch its got to be a good one .........

3. Z=ke

Z=ke
    from Long Beach

Thanks, Bubba. We were trying to avoid a 2 step shut down of the motor for the less intuitive. After I posted I thought someone might mention an overall battery kill switch which is always a good idea. Yet, that mag would continue to fire. The good thing is this rod runs a LaSalle tranny so he can always stall it with the clutch.

At 75 YO the owner is doing this for posterity and his 2 sons. I don't think the sons are into this stuff at all, but they say they will keep the '32 in the family. I think you can see why I want to keep it simple.

4. TV

TV

I run a mag a ( vertex ) I just use a on/off switch the red airplane looking ones. I have never had any problems in 5 years.--TV Mine is wired direct to the mag and ground.

5. AG F/C

AG F/C

Got a Vertex/Joe Hunt magneto in my 32 with a 409. I did exactly what you are thinking about doing with the relay. I wanted a normal on start run key switch. The run contacts on the ignition switch, energize the relay coil, ungrounding the mag "P" terminal. In the event of a problem (never had one) I can remove the "P" lead thumb screw from the mag and off we go..

I used a 30 amp silver contact, triple pole double through relay and paralleled two of the NC contacts to do the grounding.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  6. Z=ke

Z=ke
    from Long Beach

I'll check the rating on the relay we found. However, I might recommend we get a new one. My friend loves to use old original stuff. I think he would have bought used wires if he could have found them.