Register now to get rid of these ads!

POR-15 application INSIDE a waterpump?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EZFEED, Dec 16, 2013.

1. EZFEED

EZFEED

Hey guys, I'm rebuilding the waterpumps on my 337 Lincoln right now and I've blasted the housings so I'm wondering what I could use to coat the insides to help protect against corrosion.
    I was thinking about using a thin coat of POR-15. Any reasons why this wouldn't work or be a good idea????

2. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Not sure but I think por 15 is for rusty metal. Will it stick to clean metal?

3. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

intersting idea. I'd call the POR folks and ask them.

4. henry29

henry29

I think por-15 makes an engine paint, but from my experience with regular por-15 it peels right off clean metal.

5. Gotta read the can, the instructions are right there.
    Por 15 loves blasted metal, you just need to prep it with what they tell you how they tell you.

The tech sheet is on the can.

Inside water pump should be safe from corrosion if it is running coolant/antifreeze - the inhibitors are in there.

6. EZFEED

EZFEED

Yep, it loves lightly rusted and blasted steel. I just figured it'd be an extra means of protection.
    I'm going to try it unless someone pops in here and has experience with it inside the engine.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Anti-freeze is already anti corrosion. How long are you trying to make it last? 5...10 years?

8. EZFEED

EZFEED

Well lol! Funny you should say that cause I went to long lengths to find some rebuildable cores so I guess I am going a little overkill on it.

9. I would look into Glyptal - you can get it from Eastwood. designed for oil drian back but it seals metal and is salt and corrosion resistant.

10. EZFEED

EZFEED

I Glyptal'ed the block/valve covers/etc. POR-15 has a temperature resistance to 600 degrees so I'm thinking it will work.

11. 1960fordf350

1960fordf350
    from ohio

Glyptal is used to insulate electrical connections. You can find it at a lot of places that sell industrial stuff, WW Grainger, electrical supply depots.

12. squirrel

squirrel

Use anti freeze, and change the anti freeze every few years, and don't bother with any coatings.

There's a lot to be said for maintenance.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

That was going to me my advice as well. Bob :)

14. fsae0607

fsae0607

This. By the time any corrosion starts to affect the pump structurally, the bearings/seals will be shot.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Use good antifreeze and don't worry. The antifreeze you get today is way better than the old stuff from before the 80s. Today you can take apart a 20 year old aluminum motor and the water pump and coolant passages are like new.

16. You going to paint the inside of the block too ?

17. buckd

buckd

Glyptal Has been used by the best engine builders in the country for coating the entire interior casting surface, pans and covers of race engines for many years. it not only helps with heat dissipation but helps return oil to the pan quicker. BUCKD

18. toughnut

toughnut
    from Arizona

Call the folks at KBS. They will be glad to help. Glyptal is old technology. It still has a use, but there are better products out there.
    As I understand it, KBS is headed by the guy who developed POR. They supposedly do not cut corners at KBS. I am very happy with their products. I have had POR peel off prematurely, but have never had a problem with KBS. They have a solution for almost anything.

19. blackout

blackout

If it peels off it will make a mess that will never clean up. Look into a product called "No Roison".

Would a thermal coating like is used on headers work?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  20. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

Anti freeze will take care of the corrosion. It is now for year round use. When the pumps were originally installed, I'm sure they saw straight water in the summer, hence the rust.

21. Ceramic paint??/...both heat and corrosion protection...

22. Use antifreeze, besides taking care of your rust problem, (I want to see you paint the inside of the water jacket) it is what lubricates the pump.

Glyptal was developed as an electric motor varnish, it does stick to the inside of an engine block well, but does it really do anything in there. Yes, the oil slides off quicker, but is that 1/2 cup of extra oil on your block walls cause any harm?

23. A point a lot of you missed is the cavation/water circulation that the pump will make will act like a sandblaster and pull most coating right off, clogging the system. Just use anti freeze and it will be fine.