Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first Merc 51

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hurri, Dec 18, 2013.

1. hurri

hurri
    from sweden

Hi you all crazy custom freaks.
    At last my modesty rusted out merc arrived home.
    no floors , no rockers, badly shopped roof, rust here and there and so on ,,
    still happy as a kid on christmas eve :)

the original engine is there with the transmission , and it seems to be complete .
    thats a keeper i think. eventually a swat for a merc o matic in the future.

gona start trying to figure out the roof and the chopping . then the floors and the 4d to 2d conversion,

i guess the first thing in order to do is to fix the back window frame they cutted apart. then maybe unchop it a bit, dont like the chop now way too brutal about 6 inches, goint to weld back about an inch , good that they kept all the pieces they did cut out.

Attached Files:

2. hurri

hurri
    from sweden

oh forgot a pic on the floors.

Attached Files:

3. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like a huge project, but looking forward to seeing it come together. I've seen some really beautiful customs being built in Sweden, must be a pretty good following there.

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I always said if you going to chop it, make it worthwhile.
    Mine is 6 1/2" in the back and 4 1/2 in the front.

5. autobilly

autobilly

Lots of work, but these things don't grow on trees, especially outside the USA.
    Very cool that you've got the off-cuts.

6. hurri

hurri
    from sweden

anyone know how much shorter the 2d roof is .,

7. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

A two door roof and a four door roof are the same, with the exception of door openings.

It looks like you've got quite a project ahead of you. I'm not sure the person who chopped it had a lot of knowledge about chopping, but it sounds like you can fix it if you have the cut off sheet metal.

See the Mercury Parts link in my signature for a lot of good 49-51 Merc info.

Posted using the Mild Kustom HAMB App...

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Wow,looks like your "to do"-list will be really long..
    Well,good luck with the project!

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Welcome and good luck with your project, A lot of Mercury knowledge on this forum. John

10. Salvageable for sure. Glad it's your project and not mine! Makes me tired just looking at the pictures. :D

11. spot

spot
    from usa

I really like the rear suicide doors.
    Looking forward to seeing this one progress

12. hot rust

hot rust

13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  14. hurri

hurri
    from sweden

yeah it has a ton of work on it. but with this one im gonna take it easy , 51 mercs are really hard to find specially in sweden.
    its one of those cars u gotta have on your bucketlist.

and im thinking of ordering a custom back window to it , dont have any glass so i still have to buy one , so why not buy a custom made one, i kinda like the original 51 window but maybe a litte bit smaller.

i tacked together the old window frame last night and cut it out. thinking of stretching the piece between the trunk and window frame. and shorten the roof a little bit .

yeah have already read the whole area 51 merc thread , really nice car , thou you guys in the states have it so mutch easier than we , hard to find donor cars and parts gotta order every thing from the states.

Attached Files:

15. hurri

hurri
    from sweden

Decided that i had to unchop it a little bit , 1 1/4 inches . looks much better now i think, still low but not crazy low

Attached Files:

16. choptvan

choptvan

NNOOO!! Coming from experience you want to keep a factory rear window opening. Wether you repair the 51 opening which is a bit more difficult to use, or you throw in a 49/50. Either way don't have glass made. Not as easy as you think. Plus the cost is out of this world! It would be a huge mistake that would end the build on your car most likely. I have gotten cars cheap cause someone thought that was a good idea. Repair them and then sell em. Be careful. I like the fact she is a moredoor. Real cool.

17. I have seen a few guys in Sweden who have had windows made for their cars. I get the feeling that it is WAY cheaper to have done over there that it is here. Probably less expensive than trying to find a Mercury rear window.

18. choptvan

choptvan

Man I hope so! This thing just has so much potential. Would hate to see it go to waste

19. LOL he is already way ahead of what the original builder was doing so lets hope he keeps it up.

20. choptvan

choptvan

Agreed. Very far ahead.

21. hurri

hurri
    from sweden

its not so much more expensive to make an window then to buy a new 51 window, there is this place in finland they make all the windows from there own or customers molds.

i have ordered several windows from them, thou have not made any own molds yet ,
    well i will see what to do about the rear window.

had a little more done this evening too bad i run out of gas to the welder.
    finished all of the weld front , and started to mock up the rear pillars
    not so happy about the looks of it , but i guess they wont be visible at all when i put on the rear side window frame ,

to bad that the previes owner did start the chopping. would have been easier i guess to make it a 2d before the shop, and then shop.,

Attached Files:

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I guess you ment Kuttilan autolasi?

23. hurri

hurri
    from sweden

yes kuttilas .

24. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Sometimes there is an advantage to a clean drawing table. It allows the artist a lot more flexability and no pre-imposed limitations. I'm not sure of European cars that might have a back light frame that could be flowed into the design or not but at least it opens up the possibilities.

Your floors look pretty normal for a Merc of that era. Only in the desert southwest of the USA do you find ones that you can't see through as well. Coupe rockers are available if you are going to convert. That and some floor pans from Matt could save you some time. Rear quarters & coupe doors are out there but likely a long way from you.

25. hurri

hurri
    from sweden

finally i had a free moment to spend with the merc.
    had some small stuff done ,

before i can continue with the back pillars i must do some rust repair on the top of the rear fenders,. where the roof meets the fender,.
    one side done now one to go ,
    still unsure of what back window i will use , i think i leave it for the time being and concentrate on the side window frames and the door pillar,

i think i will go with the stock back lights, i kind of like them
    and old european cars are not so easy to come by here,

Attached Files:

26. Looking so much better already! Good save!

27. Subscribing, always like to read about another '51 coming together!

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

29. hurri

hurri
    from sweden

No. Not now are in thailand for vacation. Been here 4weeks now. But soon back home again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. rustryder

rustryder
    from Dinuba ca

here is a four door made into a 2 door using a 50 ford back window upside down

Attached Files: