Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Any hamb things to do in key west the week of 12/22

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroded, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Just don't wear a shirt with a rainbow on it like my clueless friend...

2. Never been "down south" to the keys but vacationed a few years ago at Sanibel Island, lots of retirees..sounds like you need to pack your eye patch, cod piece and your high heels when going to the keys!!

3. Model T1

Model T1

Just have fun. Even if you don't drink stop at all the bars and look around. The Hogs Breath has more Tee shirts than drinks. There are a few old cars and trucks sitting around as advertisments that make good photo shoots.
    I stopped in to see Jimmy Buffet and have a burger in paradise.

Attached Files:

4. Check out: http://www.southernmostcarclub.com/

They use to and probably still do, hold a Show n Shine at the Sugarloaf Lodge, mile marker 17 on US-1 on the 3rd Sunday of every month. Verify before you go.

5. He will really experience Key West then...............

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  6. As legion goes a ships captain gave Ernest Hemingway a white polydactyl cat that he named snowball and that cat has sired many generations of 6 toed cats.

The last I heard there is approximately 40 of them living in and around the Ernest Hemingway home & Museum. HRP

7. Model T1

Model T1

Yes there are a flock of cats. Also a herd of wierd looking chickens around the Mallory Square area.
    Don't get these confused with the wierd looking locals who wander around too.

There are car clubs in the Keys. We attended a nice show on Islamoralda Key at Holiday Isle resort one year and another up near Long Key at an Arbys.

8. So there is a car club that far south thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. When I was down there in 64 I turned 21 on the Tuesday before payday.With 50 cents in my pocket I hit all the bars in town.They gave you your first drink free on your 21st birthday.Got totally shitface and came back to the base with the 50 cents still in my pocket.The cab driver even drove me back to the base (Naval Air Station on Boca Chica)for nothing.
    Only bar I remember on Duval Street was the Habana Madrid which I am sure is long gone.The locals didn't like Navy personnel all that much and especially "Yankees"(I was from Massachusetts)so I got into my share of fights.
    I do remember hearing about a race track on Stock Island but the only thing I saw there was the Boca Chica Bar when it wasn't off limits(which was most of the time).Some good memories.

Hope you have a great time.

10. Ok get off the plane drive 1 mile
    Bam I see this
    1387746254217.jpg
    There was a 64 impala but it was on the property
    Oh yeah its freakin 80 and Sunny

11. OK,It's official...I hate you,it's raining and cold here! :D HRP

12. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

BO's Fiish Wagon for a grouper sandwich. Royal Red shrimp at Conch Republic. They may not be on the menu but ask for them, you'll thank me. Have 2 Pappa Dobles at Captain Tony's Saloon. Drink both before 10 am. This is where Hemingway drank, when it was Sloppy Joes back in the 30s. There's on old Ford dealership where Hemingway stayed and wrote while waiting for his model A to be delivered. It's a gift shop with an indoor garden you can visit for a couple of bucks. Blue Heaven for good food. Lots of other bars and restaurants. Danger Charters for a sailboat trip.

Of course Sloppy Joes. I participate in the Hemingway look a like contest there every July.

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  13. Well hotrodprimer this won't help you like me anymore then
    1387759459079.jpg
    1387759485809.jpg
    Oh and its still 80 degrees buddy

14. Beautiful view..have fun & you know I'm just pulling you chain. :D HRP

15. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

i just spent 6 days tampa and 8 days south beach miami... it IS SO NICE!!!! now to drive back to cold arizona... to sell my stuff and move to the Miami area!!

16. Haha cold Arizona...that's a good one! the high for Thursday 4*, today it was 12*.

17. Ok since there isn't any snow in key west Santa drives around in this
    1387790635346.jpg
    Playing Christmas music
    Pretty nice houses too
    1387790727992.jpg
    I real was trying to get this hot lady to come drink.with me she wasn't budging
    1387790789958.jpg
    Tomorrow I'm renting a scooter and plan on going on a treasure hunt for hot rods!

18. As I sit here in the airport in key west with a bloody Mary in hand and think about all the fun I had renting a scooter and seeking out every hot rod on this island I have come to the conclusion there aren't to many here but this place has a lot of other cool things to offer sand, boats, babes, history all the way back to black beard the pirate.
    I recommend if work and car building is burning you out come here to take your mind off stress.
    Some recommended restaurants are
    The hurricane hole just over the bridge on stock island, red fish blue fish, Willy t's for good bloody Mary's and appetizers around duval st
    And the half shell bar for raw stuff on the end of margeret ave.
    These are the places I ate and they were reasonable priced and in my budget.
    There are beautiful restaurants here with steaks and all the fixings but I figured its a sea town eat local food.
    Also local bar the green parrot was alittle slow with service but entertaning Kool local people.
    Here are all the hot rod related.things I found
    1388076943379.jpg
    1388076967175.jpg
    1388076985251.jpg
    1388077007591.jpg
    1388077032695.jpg
    1388077088718.jpg
    1388077117867.jpg
    1388077144242.jpg
    1388077187999.jpg
    1388077211204.jpg
    1388077255884.jpg
    1388077289223.jpg
    Thanks to the hamb for letting me post my findings about key west and to all the people who made suggestions and pointers
    Hotrodeo out!

19. khead47

khead47

Thanks for the posts. I'll be heading to the Keys in 10 days! Sure do miss that big yellow orb!