Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Will it fit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZachB, Dec 20, 2013.

1. ZachB

ZachB

So I have a 49 chevy fastback. I'm wanting to do a traditional engine build instead of what everybody has been doing for the last 40 years. Last year I went to a show and my biggest complaint is under the hood everything was the same and it got stale. Everybody goes to the V8 and sticks it in there and I don't have a problem with that I just feel it's over done. I do like V8 engines but I want to use a strait 6 because it's not something you see every day. My thoughts are to use a 292 in this car but I'm not sure it can be done without cutting the firewall back like pontiac did or making the fenders longer like Buick did. I know there is more room under the hood because of the 235 but is it enough. I have searched and searched and have found nothing on using a 292 as a hotrod engine. I'm wanting that original look to the point that the average person won't know what's different but anybody who spends time around these creatures knows what has been done. I can't measure the car because my front fenders and hood are being held on my a rope of a mock up on how bad the damage from drees growing next to the car is. Does anybody know what will need to be done. I don't mind changing the mounts but extending parts is not what I want to do because it changes the look more than I want.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The 292 is the same length as the 230 and 250. They will fit although, you have to move the radiator ahead. It is also 1" taller but you have plenty of room in a 49 Chev.

They are a very powerful, high torque motor similar in output to a 305 in stock form.

The sixes use the same bellhousing as a 55 up V8. It will bolt up to the stock 49 transmission if it is the right trans. There are two trans casings with the bolt holes in slightly different locations. You may have the right one but if you don't you can get one. They are often found in 1/2 ton pickups. All the internal parts interchange.

You will have about twice the horsepower of a stock engine so you need to baby the drive train a bit. Don't pop the clutch when you take off, ease off the line then give it the works once you build up a little momentum and you should be fine.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In US production, none of the passenger cars through 1954 models used the wider trans bolt pattern found in trucks. US passenger cars got the truck style pattern in '55 models.

IMO, you would be better served by converting to an open driveline and using later model, stronger parts behind the 292. If you want to keep the 3 speed shift on the column, a mid '60s up Saginaw full syncro 3 speed trans would be easily adaptable to your stock shifter setup. Expect to adapt/modify the shifter rods, but that is not particularly difficult.

The 292 is great engine....although they have a reputation as being 'thirsty'....a 250 would also make a nice street engine and is more abundant. In any case, best wishes with your project.

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've got one in my 46. It also has a 69 Camaro sub, so the enigne might sit a bit higher than usual. I raised the pocket in the firewall for extra valve cover clearance....the 292 is a bit taller than the 250, not usre about the dimensions of the 235/216.
    Made my own motor mounts, and I'm using an early 60's truck bellhousing and 5 speed. The truck bell uses a hydraulic slave cylinder, on the passenger side, so it gives you a bit more clearance for exhaust, esp. if you leave the master underfloor. Hyd. clutch also is easier than fabbing clutch linkage, esp. if the engine is not in a stock location.
    The 292's are infamous for being V-8 beaters, tons of torque. There are lots of speed goodies for them as well. I'm running a Clifford 2 x 4 intake (water heated) with 2 2 bbl Holley-Webers, Langdon's dual exhaust manifolds, "propane" pistons for higher compression, a mild cam, and finned alum. valve cover and side cover.
    Not quite on the road yet, but running and drive-able, so I can't give you performance data.

5. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

If you want to get a little more unique and don't mind doing a little scrounging for parts, there is also a 302 GMC version of that engine used in trucks. I also think you should be looking for the later tranny and a stronger rear. If you put the power under the hood, you just know that you're going to want to stomp on it once in a while...

6. ZachB

ZachB

Thanks. I figured I would at least beef up on of my old transmissions out of a late 60s car and change the gear ratio for a little more speed but not enough to hurt the engine. As for the rear end the one under the car is trash anyway. I thought I would look for one that would almost fit the same. I know the late 60s early 70s tend to be the best for this. I probably would use a 302 but I happen to have a 292 that a yanked out of a truck a few years ago. I and I know availability is not very good so it would be different. The dirt rally racers dried up the 292 supply in my area.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Except for the "nostalgia value", the 292 is a better engine choice than the old GMC 302 for several reasons. Among the reasons, 7 main bearings vs 4, no costly adapter needed to fit later GM transmissions, better head ports, lighter weight .........

With a mild overbore, the 292 can become a "302". Since 292's were also used in GMC trucks, it isn't unreasonable to call it that if you are so inclined.

EDIT: there is great performance book by Leo Santucci that thoroughly covers the GM 6 from 194 thru 292......available at Motorbooks and other sources.....well worth the price.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I don't have any valuable input on this, but I wholeheartedly approve of the idea!

Here's a Google Search of the HAMB for 292 threads. It looks like there's a good bit of info to be found here.

I took a peek over at Summit and that indicates you can get stuff for this engine pretty easy. There's a couple Offenhauser 4bbl intakes for <$300, Cams, vlavetrain, timing, & 6-2 headers all on the shelf there and probably most of their competitors.

AND an Offy cast valve cover that I wish they made for my big Ford 6.

9. ZachB

ZachB

Thanks for the info. I am actually coincide ring getting away from the carberator and fuel injecting it however I am also bouncing on the idea of 3 ones or one 4 barrel. I suppose I have plenty of time to think about it. I have to get to get the actual car where it will hold it first.

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You're right, you DO have plenty of time to sort that stuff out. Worry about getting it together, making it move, getting it on the road, then make it fast and pretty!

I'd suggest you consider starting out lookin into an Offy 4bbl carbed setup if you want to eventually go EFI since those fancy (and expensive) new bolt on throttle body units should mate up.

I know Speedway carries the Offy triple carb manifolds for the Chevy 6's too. This will look really cool.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

12. ZachB

ZachB

Yeah lots of stuff is out there for the 292. I will likely use a single one carb for a while. Because everything is already there for it. I will probably go to a 3 one setup latter for looks and power. Might run it like that for several years before I even go for EFI.

13. Check out www.inliners.org. Inliners International has a wealth of Chevy 6 technical info, too.

14. check with BobK, his Chevy has a 292 and has been all over the world!

15. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Which fi were you thinking of using? I was thinking of using a howell tb kit on my 235 in my '54 and it should also work with the 250 I'm dropping in when the 235 craps out on me...for just over a thousand its not too bad when you think of the benefits (no flooding, no warm up time, no jet changes for elevation, looks like a 4 barrel carb, no tuning, better fuel economy, smoother running). When you factor in the price of the 3x1 intake, three carbs and 3 air cleaners youre pretty much at the same price point or at least pretty close. Just a thought

16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

292 in a 37 chevy. recessed the firewall and running an electric fan. it's easier to put one in a 49-54

Attached Files: