Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need carburetor advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

3. luckystiff

luckystiff

well whatda ya get? do keep us in suspense hahaha...

4. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

5. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Yes, do tell us! No matter what you did, there's a line of people waiting to kick you for not doing it their way.:D

6. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

7. Probably,but it's my car and I have to live with it.

I used my Summit gift certificate.

I bought a 600 CFM automatic chock Edelbrock and my old Deuce runs better and smoother than it ever has and after sitting a week I don't have to pour gas in the carburetor to get it cranked,,it doesn't leak down like the old one.:) HRP

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  8. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

My Dad always told me "carburetor" is a French word that means "don't fuck with it."

9. After reading this thread-Lot's of good info,and or opinions......
    Probably a simple problem in the carb itself.......
    For the Q-Jet guys= you know. Good carb/stuff. HRP- IF you went with a Q- try to find an original and have it rebuilt.DO NOT go with a rebuilder carb,(not a carb rebuilder)as you might end up with a "frankenstien" carb=IE a different base plate/body/and bowl. Happens more than is known.
    For ease-many easy solutions and brands to choose from.
    I will only chime on my experiences with these two- Edelbrocks seem to work well from the get go,and on your application,should not require any tunning to bolt on and go.But,like anything else,some horror stories.
    Holley's are good also,but I would stay away from the newer aluminum stuff.They just seem to not be up to par,and always seem to have issues.
    It's always hit and miss......sometimes things are golden,and other's they go in the toilet.....My vote-stay with an edel......

10. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Good Deal, I'm glad it worked out for you.:) Since you started this I've picked up Vizard's book on the Holleys and Cliff Ruggles book on the Quadrajets , and thanks to United Airlines I've had plenty of time to read them both....now I know enough to be dangerous in a lot of different ways.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  11. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I put a 600cfm electric choke Holley 4 bbl on my 390 ford ."remanufactured" from national carb on E pay$ 200.00 that was 2 yrs ago.NO PROBLEMS!