Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for textured aluminum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doppleganger, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Doppleganger

Doppleganger
    BANNED
    from ...

I've seen a few postings for this over the last few years but either the OP never got a good answer or the links were no good.

Has anyone redone a dash and been able to find a textured aluminum (or any material for that matter) for their dash? This piece is about 4" x 2" - to give an idea on the size of the texture. There has to be a source for this kind of stuff somewhere.....maybe not exact, but similar materials. I've seen engine turned finishes - which is my Plan B, but I'd sure like to find something like this. :cool:

Plan C would be to take my sample somewhere to see if it can be made. I know I'm not the only one who'd like it / use it.

Thanks in advance. This site is great.

[​IMG]

2. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

did you see the other thread recently where the guy was running the alum through the slip roll with some lace? Let your mind run wild.

3. Doppleganger

Doppleganger
    BANNED
    from ...

No. Sounds interesting though.

I did find this: http://www.astonservicedorset.com/db4_chasis.html

Apparently Aston Martin sells "sheets" of this mesh look....they call it "polka dot". 49" x 16" sheet = $286/each.....not including the ride across the pond.

Ouch.

4. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Search Google images for "aluminum pattern sheet" and "decorative aluminum sheet". Noticed a few patterns that werent too bad, and even some of the perforated styles might look good with a colored panel behind them. Maybe try some different terminology also.

5. Try McMaster-Carr; they carry 'decorative' aluminum sheets.

6. Found mine in a friends garage... aluminum flat storm shutters

7. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Check Ardmore Textured Metals in Edison, N.J.
    and Rigidized metals: http://www.rigidized.com/samples.php
    Both hard to deal with directly for small quantities but they can help you find local distributers
    Do a google image search for textured metal and rigidized metal

8. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

how about having the aluminum "acid etched" with your or any pattern on it? i have labels for the pro-audio stuff i make that i had etched by "nelson label" in L.A. Ca. they look like old labels that would have been on a old well made American machine from the 30's- 70's. mine are aluminum, but they can do brass and more. after its etched, they paint the lowerd (etched) part black to highlight the pattern. the detail is really good.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Go to an appliance sales store and look at the front panels on dishwashers and refridgerators. Many come with a few different patterned sheets, flat, colored, and textured.Bob

10. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Do you have any place that makes storm windows and doors ? you can also check for shops that do restaurant kitchens both these sources use pattern aluminum sheeting or stainless pattern sheeting.

11. Doppleganger

Doppleganger
    BANNED
    from ...

Good idea and great link. I'll check that out.

Lots of great suggestions - I'm pursuing them all. I'm making a semi-custom dash with a center console and want to keep it period style correct. :cool:

12. bobadame

bobadame

Believe it or not, Homer Depot carries a few different textures. I think they are about 2' square.

13. Speedway Motors offers machine turned sheets in different sizes. HRP

[​IMG]

14. Alliance vendor http://www.fpmmetals.com/

use to cut out their engine turn panels for air planes, duesenbergs, cords, etc

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably not going to be popular here on the H.A.M.B. but I do vehicle wraps for a living and 3M has some killer vinyl that would be awesome on a dash. Brushed aluminum, engine turn gold and silver and others that I guarantee you if you just wrapped a piece of sheet metal cut out for your dash and installed it, you would never know it was vinyl (even if you touched it)!

16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Photo is of large engine turn gold but I have several sized of the turns plus it comes in silver as well or Florentine Designs. I use this kind of stuff a lot on my rods...

17. Doppleganger

Doppleganger
    BANNED
    from ...

What photo?

That Rigidized Metal's place has about 3 I'm going to try to get samples of. :)