Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FLATHEAD GURU: Who's Your Pick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Don and Bob Baxter, Baxter Ford Parts, Lawrence KS
    Had a speed shop for all takers starting in 50's, went strictly flathead in 70's.
    I know they're not big name folks but tons of Ford knowledge.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

Allan Mest in Gardena CA

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. prpmmp

prpmmp

4. khead47

khead47

Henry is dead!

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

Ray Helger in Little Compton RI.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I don't think that you'd want Henry Ford's vision of what the flathead V8 should have been.

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Art Chrisman would be a great choice.

8. couverkid

couverkid

9. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I agree with all of the choices so far that I know of and would add John Bradley.
    A good friend and one of the fastest in his day. I applied some of his ideas to circle track engines and they worked.

10. 33Tudor

33Tudor

He gets my vote!

11. Luke Balogh from LUKE'S CUSTOM MACHINE. This fellow is a master machinist, has built record setting flatheads also extremely knowledgeable about Ardun heads.

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

Isky is looking like the top choice so far.

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

14. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

In addition to the already mentioned i would add Walt Dupont from the ford barn.
    Walt said to me one time the difference is many have built a few flatheads , i have built them my entire life !!!
    Good quote.

Each area of the country has their own list and i dont think any one person really serves everyones area!

Ex: Barney Navarro and Isky Ed are some killer flathead builders but i dont think either one of them have ever built some in Indiana.....

15. flatcat

flatcat

Seems to me if the book is any good and the author knows his stuff he does not need someone famous to do a forward. Like Ron Holleran's book Nostalgia. All his own writing and still a very good selling book mostly by word of mouth. Same with JWL's book Flathead facts. JMO Bill

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Except that publishers require one and it must be written by someone other than the author.

17. lucky ink

lucky ink

Old man Don Broyles Dayton Ohio

18. flatcat

flatcat

You may want to get a different publisher. Neither Ron Holleran (Ol'Ron) nor John Lawson (JWL) have one in their books "Nostalgia" and "Flathead Facts". Both books are among the best flathead books written.

19. John Stien, nostalgic hotrods PA.

20. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Don Ferguson
    Art Chrisman

21. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

For me personally, I would have to say Bruce Lancaster. Any question I have ever had about building a flathead he has had the answer to and then some. He is also a very good writer. This is a great list with many big names in the flathead world. I just wanted to list someone I have dealt with personally. Thanks for helping me Bruce. Jesse

22. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who,? enlighten us please

23. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Joe Abbin has written several Flathead performance books recently from the mild to wild stages of performance. Any new book on the subject should start out a notch above what has already been written or they're wasting their time.

24. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree absolutely , but as you know anyone afflicted with the flathead disease still reads everything , good or not.
    QUOTE=CNC-Dude;9440623]Joe Abbin has written several Flathead performance books recently from the mild to wild stages of performance. Any new book on the subject should start out a notch above what has already been written or they're wasting their time.[/QUOTE]

25. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Also, remind the author that he is the boss, not the printer or publisher, and if he wants to stray from the normal book formatting, it his perogative to do so. Things like Foreward's and Preface's don't even have to be part of the book if he does want them to be. I've written 2 books myself, and if you want to make every other page upside down he can if he chooses to. Good luck with it though.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013