Register now to get rid of these ads!

do you enjoy working in the garage on cars as much as driving? a poll.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Bomber, Dec 1, 2013.

1. ZachB

ZachB

Working on them brings back childhood memories but driving them is the goal. Personally for me I like them about even

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You've got to work on them to drive them, and sometimes driving them leads to working on them. It's all relevant. That's always been my experience. These days, I would rather just drive them, but if they need any work, nobody does that but me. Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. Great idea for a thread. Would have made a good poll. Whole bunch of responses sounded like I typed them. The truth is I enjoy the builds more than driving. The problem solving, puzzle building, acquisition of parts, etc. Bringing a 49 F1 back for a for a fellow HAMBer now.

4. dollsratrod

dollsratrod

working on them sorcing parts making parts fitting parts is whole lot more fun than driving them and when you do all the poses in there cars just make you want to find something else to do in the garage

5. desotot

desotot

I love driving with a destination, or cruising with other guys.Show and shines get old fast but I will always have a weakness for swap meets.

6. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i enjoy working on them more a this point, but if i lived in a less crowded area that would probably change. the few times i've had one of my old cars out past midnight, it's pretty nice driving with no traffic.

7. loudbang

loudbang

Cars are like chasing women. You work hard to accomplish your goal like building an old car but before you are finished and take "your first drive" I'm looking around for the next one to go after. For me finding, the chase, and building are more fun LOL.

8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For alot of years, my old '32 buckboard has been A. rip around a few miles B. problem of some sort develops C. figure out and fix D. repeat. I stare at the old fart about every day, always get inspired just looking at her. But when I get her out; I'm 16 all over again. It's one of the only cars that does that to me.So , its sort of a 50/50 deal with me.

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nothing beats driving them....specifically if you built it yourself !!
    I like messing in the garage, but NOT for repairs, just upgrades.....
    Good post here.

10. lonestar395

lonestar395
    from Australia

I can relate to this post, It seems most here would favour working on/ modifying...driving them is secondary.

11. buckd

buckd

From the time I was 15 it seemed that the only way I could have the ride that I wanted built the way I wanted was to do it myself. Later the notoriety of having built my cars myself gave me a boost. But the total motivation to build cars has always been having them finished to drive. The vision in my mind of how it will look and drive is what spurs me on to finish the project asap requiring every waking hour in the shop! BUCKD

12. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

yes, but to do the driving in the summer and the working on it in the winter

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Put me down for working in the garage. Thats why I got back into this hobby in the first place. I'm almost gun shy on the driving part after some woman recently rolled into me while I was stopped a red light. Fortunately it was a Volvo with a flat plastic front end that didn't do any damage. Besides anyone can drive an old car but not everyone can build one.

14. I love tinkering more than heavy duty repairs or work. Like making things work better. If I had the choice of pulling engine /tranny or driving, I'll take the drive.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. I enjoy the build, and the first cruise around the block. I have quite a few running driving hot rods,but as soon as I finish one I start a new build. I always like to see the progress of a bunch of parts in a pile to a running hotrod.

16. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Do I like working on my car in the garage as much as driving it? YES
    Do I like working on someone else's POS ? No

17. Used to. 16" of titanium rods and screws in my back kind of took the joy out of it. :(

18. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I have 3 cars. A driver and 2 race cars.
    It's about 1/3rd each for me. Driving, building, circle racing.

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Depends... Don't like working on something that's broke. Love working on a new project.
    So driving causes breakdowns.... mmm. Why do I do this??
    Give me a new project any day....
    Give me a 70 degree morning or 70 degree evening of driving any day. Those days are worth the wear and tear and breakdown repairs.

20. parts37

parts37

I love driving my coupe, Ive always liked working on cars but I dont like cleaning them. As i get older i guess I just like tinkering.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. I'm more into the drive than the build. In fact my last four cars were all purchased as done cars. Problem is they are never done so I end up doing my thing to them to get them the way I want them. I leave the heavy fab, paint and upholstery to the good friends I have made and focus on things I feel comfortable with. If I do take on a sizable job like putting A/C in our former 39 Ford coupe I can't wait to finish it and get back on the road.

22. scoop

scoop

Drive,I'm getting to the age where I would rather drive than work on them.But with the long MN winter I need to be in my shop so that being said,I'll have to work on them also.

23. hellerods

hellerods

I can only afford to own a hot rod if I work on it myself, so if I really had a choice, I'd rather drive one than work on one.

24. DWest

DWest
    from Missouri

I fixed cars for a living for 37 years so that got to be just a job, a way to make enough money to keep my dirt track cars going. Building the race cars was something I loved to do and I enjoyed that almost as much as driving them. I still work on cars some, my wife or one of the kids always seem to have car problems of some sort and I am building a vintage modified. It has the remains of a 1932(I think) Chevy 5 window coupe body, a home made frame, and a sbc.

25. stimpy

stimpy

I like both , the work can be a pain at times but you feel better acomplishing things , and the driving is the reward , but until the garage gets cleaned out the car is stored away from the house . and in the winter the toys sit and the Dailys do there job of sacrificing to the salt gods .

26. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

I must enjoy working on it more, as so far I've worked on it over 3 years and driven it not 1 inch.

27. trollst

trollst

I posted before, but building is fun, AND, that first high speed (oh my god, how fast are we going, are you sure everything is tight), ride is the ultimate, best ever orgasm possible. You pull into your own driveway, get out, look and have a true appreciation for those long hard hours. That's what I enjoy.

28. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

despite what I may think, my past and insurance say I'm a bad driver. Lucky for me I'd much rather be in the garage. Most of the time no music just peace and quiet. When I work on something ill hit it hard and get it drivable then sale it. It's no fun after that point

29. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Here's a retarded answer for you.....I love to drive em...love to work on them even more, the sense of accomplishment is like nothing else........BUT, what I love even more than the other 2 is to pull my latest in the shop, turn on the overhead lites and pull up a chair at a distance and stare at it while enjoying a 12 pack of ice cold ones. That is when my mind goes into overdrive........the planning/dreaming/scheming stage is my favorite!
    It costs very little and the only thing stopping you is your imagination.

30. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

While I like driving at any time in any weather (that's for everyone)
    I Enjoy the build most finding ways to engineer better than in the past or my mates
    getting that extra hp stronger lighter smoother ect