Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Crate Motors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by michaelvz51, Dec 18, 2013.

1. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Hello everyone,
    I'm in the middle of my project and was wondering what everyones experience has been with buying Crate Motors, specifically, the Ford Motorsport M-6007-X302, small block roller motor.

What has been your experience as to the best time of the year to buy one of these motors with pricing and accessories etc?

Is it now, springtime, early summer or????

Most of the vendors are oofering free shipping and no tax which is a big savings and I am afraid that next year things may change?

2. Times wasting,free freight and no tax,,nothing wrong with a create engine get that thing on the way. HRP

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I will assume from your avatar that you are a custom car person. That being said, I have more fun building TRADITIONAL engines from the block up. I know there's some benefit to crate engines (please do not call them motors) such as a guarantee (perhaps) makes the car construction go more quickly, etc. But the engine is actually the item that makes these cars HOT RODs. I understand that not everyone has the time or talent to properly assemble an engine, and if that's the case, then go for it. I didn't have the time or talent either...until I did it a few times under proper tutelage.
    My shortfall is body work. If I need it, I have to use my wallet to get it done. Same would apply if you're not as savvy at the engine stand as you are at the English wheel.

4. I have had one of those MOTORS for about 8 years now, it's been in two different cars. It is a great motor for the money. Would definitely consider another one.

Remember, they come from Ford MOTORsport, which is part of the Ford MOTOR co. and are used in forms of MOTOR Racing and even MOTORboats. :rolleyes:

5. luckystiff

luckystiff

we actually just sent a 351w out to our engine builder yesterday for a customer. He looked at the crate engine option and even with the free shipping and what not it was still in the $4k range for a long block. that comes with a 2yr/24k warranty. Our builder offers the same warranty and it's about half the cost of the crate. we are putting new carb,intake, distributor, etc on the rebuild and he's gonna have about $3000-3500 in the whole deal. even if he had to buy a rebuild donor it would still be cheaper. And if you use a reputable local builder like we do if there's a problem he comes and fixes it. With a crate engine 9 times out of 10 a major problem means packing it back up and sending it back to them for repair.

All new and nice is nice but not necessary...ken....

6. I don't think that you can get a rebuilt motor with ALUMINUM Heads, a Roller cam, Forged Pistons, Forged Rods, Double True Roller Timing set, New crank etc with all NEW parts (except the block) for that kind of money. The lower cost comes in lesser quality parts. Just a thought

7. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Thanks for your reply and yes I am a "Kustom Person" building an old sled. I posted it here on the Hot Rod page because there are many more people here who have used or use crate engines or motors. Just trying to find out when is the best time of the year to purchase one of these much like buying a barbeque in September versus June. I don't want to get into the whole "Kustom" versus "Traditional Hot Rods" engines and or motors discussion. I do agree with you that body work will be done by my wallet as it takes great skill, especially on a Kustom.

8. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

This is exactly why I am putting a Ford product in my Ford Product!

9. Now free shipping in most states no tax!

10. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Not for approximately $3700.00 typically, especially out here in So Cal

11. indyjps

indyjps

Ford Motorsports puts out a hell of a product, the parts counter often has the best performance parts. GM is coming around but only recently. If you want hassle free and can afford the crate, go for it. I don't think I will ever buy one, I like buildings engines too much, used to buy cars just for a reason to build the engine.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Support your local builder. Pick the quality of parts YOU want, not some guy in accounting. Have a beer with your builder, when he fires it up for the first time.

13. Who is offering free freight?

14. Jeg's is on GM Performance and Ford Racing engines...actually Mopar too

15. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I bought a X306 that your talking about. Wow what a engine, runs like a scalded ape. I changed valve covers, and found it has nice roller rockers they dont even advertise.

16. A warranty is nice and most local builders of "souped " engines give ya none.

17. 5window

5window

Yes, I don't think a local builder can really compete unless it's a special motor (engine, whatever). We're talking the economy of scale here and buying parts one at a time versus buying in bulk, added to an assembly line production versus one at a time building never will compete equally. The hangup has always been shipping and if that's free, you're very likely better with the crate product.

Here is PA, you'll pay tax either way :). The benefits of the local builder are that it's money spent in your community and that, theoretically, the builder will be there locally to fix any issues. Sometime s that works and well,...

Personally, I'd go for the crate product now, but that's just me.

18. 5window

5window

Form WordNet:

• A motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion.
    • An engine is a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work.
    So an engine is a specific type of motor. That's why it's not incorrect to speak of a motorboat, or a motorcar, or a motor speedway, even if the boat or car is clearly powered by combustion.
    Note that if there's no combustion, there's no engine. Purely electric cars don't have engines.

End of discussion, right? :)

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I like enginecycles.

20. Unfortunately, probably not :cool:

21. 1955IHC

1955IHC

I like motor boating! :D

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

22. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Now were talking!

23. 5window

5window

Hence the smiley. To my aging mind, "motor" just sounds more hotrod.

24. 1955IHC

1955IHC

So would this be a "motor turned" gauge panel? :confused:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  25. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Attached Files:

26. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Damn that's funny............but TRUE!!

27. 5window

5window

28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

How this became another engine versus motor thread, I'll never know.

To the OP, crate engines (motors if you like) are like bottled beer (or ale or lager or pilsner or porter or stout.) It's what's inside that counts.