Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Austin Speed Shop - RoadFarmer 1955 Chevy Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kail, Oct 22, 2013.

1. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

It's been a few weeks.where is the updates?

2. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Didn't mean to sound rude or like the guy that's paying you.

3. BSL409

BSL409

4. derbydad276

derbydad276

dammit its just like givin me a cold beer after a hard days work

give me a little and I want more !!!

great build so far keep it up !

5. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Sorry I haven't been able to post updates, with shop manegment stuff, sema, and the crunch to the 54 chevy ht project to paint I haven't been able to work on Steves car as much as I want, let alone update the thread.

Next on my list is to mount the front clip and make it tilt, make a motor plate, ladder bars, and finalize steering, then we will be waiting for the motor. Once December rolls around I will have more time for her and you should see more updates.

So here we are.
    tacked up the wheel wells, I made them in three pieces since the top was pretty much flat and the bottoms had to roll in to match the shape of the quarters.
    Once I got them all tacked in and fitting nice I welder her up, taking my time to avoid wadding up the quarter due to excess heat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then bent some tubing to start the front end mounts
    I made these plates with brackets welded to them which will then be glassed in the hood to provide mounting plates for the tubing
    I then welded on small brackets the connect the tubing to the other bracket, this allows the bar to be removed for paint or chrome leaving the tabs glassed into the front clip. I had to weld them on at 7 degrees to match up with the shape of the hood area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a bung to attach a hiem joint and then mocked them up. I quickly realized that in my calculations on where to place the pivot so the back end of the fender didn't scratch the door when coming up I didn't take account for the front splash pan tipping into the frame
    The image further explains. But even though the frame stub is still long and not rounded and capped off it would still hit, so I did some math and found if I moved the pivot forward about 2.25 inches is would clear perfectly.
    Also I made some front mounting plates to go under splash pan which I don't have pictures of, but illustrated below.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Sorry for such blurry pics, its my phone cases fault.:eek:

7. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Ok! We got our fix for a few days anyway.thanx kail you are doing a great job.

8. D-man313

D-man313

This is coming along great! Can't wait to see it finished.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. CGkidd

CGkidd

Love how you are bracketing the front end. I need to do the nose for my Stude this is looking very nice.

10. davidh73750

davidh73750

You guys could probably come up with radiused quarter kit for 55's. nice attention to detail

11. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

12. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

I remember that car when it was in Oklahoma

13. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Great build thread. Nice to see the front end tilt design, and the rear fender treatment. Thanks Andy

14. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Awesome, can't wait to see this one done!

15. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Alright it's been long enough since sema.you had to have somethiing done by know?

16. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I have stuff to post, just no time to edit resize & type. Be patient.

17. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

I'm just playin.you know how it is on the hamb.
    Just mak' n sure you didn't forget about us.

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey, nice work!!!!

So you keep us in the dark for six pages, and then it slips out you are do three pedal. That one big step in the right way!

But the last big step that can make this go way up, or make this blend in and disaper. Engine???

In my book a 300hp/350 N/A crate motor is not gonna cut it!!
    Mighty fine 409 or bad ass 454, would really rock my boat!
    I know it's not my boat that needs to me rocked, but thats my .2 cents.

Great craftmanship, and good vision. Keep it up.

I would rather have a souped up straight-six then a out of the box SBC. 350!

19. thedreamer

thedreamer

Looks great. I'll be in Texas in June and would love to check out the shop. We'll be in Dallas and San Antonio but could probably stop between the two.

20. Nice work Kail looks really cool. As for the engine goes. I have an old 60's 55 chevy gasser that had a 427 with a Pontiac 12 bolt locked rear. It used to run at union grove dragway.

A Sweeeet 427 would be cool daddyO

21. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

All in fun! This is a slower paced build compared to other projects we have going, for many different reasons.

Thank you very much.

Don't worry it will not have a lame little crate motor, Our newest edition to the family Keith Tardel, is heading up this engine build him self. Currently the machine shop is doing the machining, and late January it will be out here for assembly.

Like I said its not a fast paced project, we will be showing it at our big Roundup Party this year in april.
    It will be in bare metal with the motor ready to fire.
    You will have to come by the shop to see it.

We will be operational in the new (to us) shop here in South Austin next month, check the website for address update when you come out. And ask for me and I will show you around.

22. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Just wondering.Did you ho to any type of schools to build hot rods? If so such ones? Thanx

23. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Wich ones ? Stoopid fone:-D

24. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Here is what I recommend:

Instead of spending 30k at schools like wyotech do the following at a fraction of the cost with better results in less time:

-Learn to weld GOOD (community college, do it all through advance tig)

-Buy a used tig welder some basic body hammers, metal shaping tools maybe an english wheel and planishing hammer... put in hours, as many as you can.

-Buy some videos, books etc get the basics. Ron Covell, or youtube, go on metal shaping forums.

- Then once you get a general idea take a few private classes. Fay Butler, Clay Cook, Lazze Etc.. Practice what you learn then go back or take a different class, then practice.

- Make something awesome, then intern at a shop.

- Then don't act like you know everything and just try to learn as much as you can. Learn from everyone you can, even if they have been doing it for less time than you. Strive for perfection and never achieve it, but do it better than the last time.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  25. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

What Kail said!

26. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Thanks for the advice guys.been thinking of metal shapeing class and welding of course.I already have all the welders.I inherited them from my dad,he was a pipe fitter for many years and taught at the union school for welding.he showed me a few things but when it came to anything importand I just had him do it.

27. richie rebel

richie rebel

love 55 gassers,not jacked to the moon,doing a great job on this build,keep up the fine work............

28. mr shiftys used cars

mr shiftys used cars
    from sedalia,mo

great looking build I hope to see it at the hamb drags this year!!!

29. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Alright! What is going on here?It has been way to long since we got an update.Way too long.
    Can you hear me on this thing?Is this thing on?
    Kail?R U there?