Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it practical to add a door where none existed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wchamb, Dec 17, 2013.

1. wchamb

wchamb
    from Texas

This is another question related to the wheelchair accessible panel delivery. Is it practical to add a second side door to a panel delivery sort of like the side door on a van? I know most anything is possible. Really what I'm asking is can it be done with reasonable expectation of good sealing, no leaks, etc? It almost doesn't matter to me what style of door hinge. Even a single gull wing would be ok. Have you seen any examples of added doors?

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It all depends on how much thought and work you put into it. Like you said, anything can be done.

3. What kind of panel truck are you referring to,Ford,Chevy,GMC or what?

It might help to researcher Paul's (Kripfink) build thread he is confined to a wheelchair and is a quadriplegic.

He is a super guy and can probably guide you in the right direction. HRP

Check out Pauls albums. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=64594

4. If you can use an existing opening from a donor, like the van example. An opening could be cut from one side of the donor, reversed, and put into the other side of your van.. Big job, but very doable.

5. 1955IHC

1955IHC

There's a handicap accessible suburban I see at the shows in my area. Its a 57-59 Chevy if I remember correctly. It has the back doors modified into one unit that folds Dow to make a ramp and the entire roof hinges up to provide clearance while entering/exiting. It's orange and cream two tone. Wonder if anyone knows it as I'm sure the builder could provide you with some insight.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

6. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Attached Files:

7. This? HRP

[​IMG]

8. Pauls ramp. HRP

[​IMG]

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That orange one is pretty boss , I've gotta say .

I'll agree with whoever said it , using an existing setup would probably be the easiest way to do it . Anything is possible to fabricate 100% , but completing the project is where a lot of folks fall short . I like the fold-down rear door , as it seems achievable & looks right too .

Holy crap , I just looked at the latest pics of it that were posted while I was typing ... that fold-up roof is quite a feat ... and awesome !

10. henry29

henry29

That suburban was built by a local hot rod shop here in town, I have a bunch off pics of it before it was finished.

11. wchamb

wchamb
    from Texas

Wow - these are some great ideas and completed projects. Thank you! Is there a builder in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that could pull off something like this?

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Has been done successfully. A friends old 40 Willys sedan delivery.

Attached Files:

13. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Yes HRP, that's the one looks like a photo from Grundy County Fairgrounds. I'm gonna guess Jalopy Fest 2012.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If its a sedan delivery a door behind one of the front doors could be added,I have found that most sedan deliveries used 4 door doors so a 4 door rear door could possibly be added to gain more room to get in.

15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Now you got me thinking Jeff. If it's a panel, maybe suicide a door from the opposite side?

16. 327Eric

327Eric

Think crew cab truck or airport limo. the addition of the support structure and door from another pick up cab could be added. a suicide rear door, like a modern extended cab pickup would give the best side access. Another thing to consider is the difference between a short wheelbase, and a long wheelbase body, as the long wheelbase could accomodate a larger side door. I know its a bit of work, but there are some true artists on here who could do it.
    here is a Crew Cab
    http://bringatrailer.com/2011/11/17/orevill-crew-cab-1957-chevrolet-napco-4x4/

or an airport limo

http://my.net-link.net/~dcline/l_s_own1.htm

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What kind of vehicle are we talking about? It makes a difference. If you can adapt a door from the same make of body as others have suggested.

Anything can be done given unlimited time and money. But some easier and cheaper than others.

You mention a panel delivery. It might be simpler to start with something like a Suburban station wagon style body, and blank off the windows.

I don't get the idea of the panel body. Do you want your disabled friend riding in the back of a panel truck with no windows to look out of?

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The rear entry rods are sweet but a side door entry is really nice for every day parallel parking or when someone parks behind you. That said, putting in a side door and jamb is quite an undertaking as others have said. If it were me I'd try and fall in love with something that already had side access. Check out the '60s Van thread, some cools stuff there.

19. wchamb

wchamb
    from Texas

The disabled guy (me) is also the driver. 99% of the time it's just me driving, my wife in the passenger seat, and no one in the back. I drive lift equipped full size vans. My previous van didn't come with factory windows and had limited visibility. It worked ok. I'm thinking panel because I like vehicles old enough to still have the fat fender look. Best I can tell suburban-type vehicles with windows are relatively recent creations.

20. wchamb

wchamb
    from Texas

Regarding the 60's vans, since I already drive a van I'm just looking for a change.

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Chevy Suburban date back to the thirties, might take some searching to find one.

22. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Not new at all.

Attached Files:

23. wchamb

wchamb
    from Texas

Nice! Were they called Suburbans pre-1960-ish? It's not so much the lack of windows I was looking for. I mainly need headroom and hopefully room for an additional side door opening. I got fixated on panels since it looked like they would have more room than anything else. One more thing that could help decide between makes, models, and maybe even years is that more interior width is better, too. Thanks for all the feedback. Please keep it coming.

24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, they were called Carryall Suburbans in the mid thirties.

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Attached Files:

27. 1955IHC

1955IHC

There's also the IHC Travelalls.

Attached Files:

28. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

boy, i love the yellow one. half the door is glass.

29. wchamb

wchamb
    from Texas

30. 1955IHC

1955IHC

That's not pilarless look closely and you can see it. I would look at late model four door pickups or vans for latches to use for a pilarless set up.