Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leaf spring lateral movement?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bgbrnbby, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Bgbrnbby

Bgbrnbby
    from Tacoma, WA

Working on my 64' F100... Flipped the rear axle with 15x8" reversed wheels out back. (2.75" backspacing) Still working on mounting the fuel tank under the bed, but I thought I'd better check fender clearance before I get out on the road. How much movement is there usually in the rear end side to side? I have about 1/2" between the tire and fender.(Maybe a little less) Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Stand beside the truck, grab the top rail of the bed, push back and forth sideways hard, I bet you get more than an inch each way. Time for a Panhard bar! How is the clearance on the inside, looks like those rims have an awful lot of positive offset.

3. Ordinary tire roll and you will be rubbing,,that's close. HRP

4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have 1" clearance between the tire and fender well on my Deuce roadster and it doesn't rub. 1/2" sounds a little close.

5. 1955IHC

1955IHC

That looks pretty tight. If you haven't already I would replace the bushings in the springs and on the shackle. Then roll the wheel lip under. If that still doesn't get it I would look at installing a panhard bar.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

6. Bgbrnbby

Bgbrnbby
    from Tacoma, WA

Lots of room on the inside due to the offset. I'll try the push test.

7. Bgbrnbby

Bgbrnbby
    from Tacoma, WA

I'd given thought to a panhard bar. Wanted to check to be sure I needed one before I committed.

8. Is she on parallel leaf springs ?

9. If you have parallel leafs there should be little or no side movement. If there is you probably need to replace the bushings in the springs.

10. What ?

11. 1955IHC

1955IHC

X2 On the "What":) Lots of lateral movement from parallel leaf springs even with fresh bushings.

12. 117harv

117harv

A panhard bar where one isn't needed, and roll the fender lip? The problem is the wheels, get some different ones with the right offset and the problem is solved...JMO.

13. Not to start a shit storm here but how in the world can you have lateral, side to side, movement with a bunch of spring steel bolted together and bolted to the rear axel? The only movement I can see would be in the rubber bushings moving around the mounting bolt.
    My Fairlane, Falcon and 53 all have parallel leafs in the back. My Falcon has less than 1/2 inch between the tire and inner fender and never rubs. My Fairlane has a touch over 1/2 inch and never rubs. So why do you say they have lateral movement??

14. 1955IHC

1955IHC

A leaf spring moves in more directions then just a vertical plane. They also twist in different directions. Think about how the suspension cycles, it moves in an arc twisting the springs. The lateral movement is even more pronounced with the narrower springs on older vehicles.

15. It is "spring" steel, that is what it is meant to do! Plus give in the shackles and bushings will always give some movement

16. 1955IHC

1955IHC

17. "It's not what you don't know that get you into trouble,
    It's the thinks you know for sure that just are not so."

18. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Also, the more arch there is in the leafs, the more lateral movement there will be at the axle.
    Also, if the leaf springs are not parallel, with either the front or the rear spring mounting points closer together then the other two, there will be less lateral movement.

Back in the day when tire sidewall clearance was an issue for me, I figured I needed 3/4" clearance between the widest point on the tire and the closest point on the body. I had to be able to slide my fingers between the two easily. That would have been with Mopar performance cars.

The correct fix is to get the proper wheel offset. But years past I have been know to flatten the wheel well lip, stretch the body a bit, even opened up more then a pair of wheel well openings for clearance. As a last resort, (actually, maybe before opening the wheel well up) add a panhard bar (though the bar was seldom added, doesn't take much to gain 3/4" on a previously undisturbed wheel well.) Gene

19. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

It is mostly normal tire roll/sidewall flex that is going to get you. A panhard wont do squat for that.

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I didn't think leaf springs flexed much to allow lateral movement until I hung my video camera on the frame and went for a drive! Boy did I get a lesson in how much they flex and twist while cornering! That big stack of springs is thick, but it's down to a single leaf towards the end, and my video showed that area where it's 1-2 leafs really flexes under body weight in the corners, even with new poly bushings!

21. williebill

williebill

Good information on this thread. Thanks to all.

22. I waa tought that you should have 3/4" min. for sidewall flex. There has only been one time this rule has failed me, and that was on an ot truck. I cut a new set of tires on first test ride.

23. the wheels are your issue and you are close can you find a set that you like with different off set?

24. I had less than 1/2 inch clearance on my old 50 delivery using 15X8.5" wheels and 285/70s. With a full tank of gas and luggage for 2 weeks the car wouldn't rub on the outer body with only about 1/4" gap. However, the inner would occasionally rub on a big dip in the road, going around a sharp corner. Had original rear springs with fresh bushings.

Attached Files:

25. Bgbrnbby

Bgbrnbby
    from Tacoma, WA

Ok. It passed the "push on it really hard from side to side" test. The tire flexed pretty hard at the bottom. I do still have the original Gennies. They are going to be painted with the truck. If all else fails I'll run the 15x7's in the rear with the originals up front. Looks like I have about an inch of clearance upon closer inspection.

Attached Files:

26. CFster

CFster

Problem with a panhard bar is the axle will move to the side under suspension compression or droop.

27. Bgbrnbby

Bgbrnbby
    from Tacoma, WA

Hope to get it buttoned up and maybe painted this weekend. I'll post up how the tires hold up. Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and experience!

28. 8flat

8flat

Yeah...A panhard bar would bind as it tries to go through its arc...putting lateral pressure on the leaf springs.

I'd love to see a video of rear leafs with an undercarriage cam while a car is hitting some good lateral G's. ..I wouldn't think they would deflect very much? Maybe I'm wrong.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  30. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I ran a 69 Road Runner on a dirt track (would have been about 74, low miles car in decent shape), stock rear suspension except for racing shocks, 10" wheels, 2" backspacing, cut wheel openings, 11" wide, old, stiff, dirt track racing tires. We had 2" of sidewall clearance between the tire and the stock inner fender, sitting in a static position. Noticed no movement from the push sideways test. During the 1st race, we had noticeable tire smoke coming off the turns onto the straight from the right rear wheel well, with little noticeable car lean through the corners. After the race, we had tire rub marks (nice clean, shinny, bare steel where the tire cleaned everything up) on the entire inner wheel well. The rear axle was shifting sideways 2" under load. We had to add a panhard bar. A video would probably scare the heck out of a lot of people. You should see how much the front suspension pulls sideways under loads! Gene