Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947 Flxible Clipper build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bingo66, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bingo66

bingo66

The work on the frame Steve has ben extensive so I don't have any issues with modification (I get where you are coming from though). I'll ask them to take some detailed pictures of the work so you can see what's been done.

Not sure what the Lever is, I'll ask and get back to you.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Damn thats a big project.
    Theres is one up the road that some super nice older guy has says its powered buy a 440 mopar and the inside is fixed up with some white diamond tuck and it is killer. He also has a 50s GMC bus that still has the original 6 in it that he said Cadillac made?
    Hats off to you for saving this one.

3. twolane1956

twolane1956
    from Mass.

4. bingo66

bingo66

Fantastic vehicle and a lot of money spent on it but I can't get used to that raised roof look. Lovely bus and I hope the guy sells it but the look is not for me!

5. bingo66

bingo66

Steve, the lever on the floor is the engine kill switch, a straight mechanical shut off.

6. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I'm with you,not a fan of the raised roof.Nice work on yours

7. bingo66

bingo66

Interior has now had the insulation installed and the partition walls are now going up. We are using modern materials and techniques but the overall look when it's finished will have a retro feel to it.

Attached Files:

8. bingo66

bingo66

Ceiling board has now gone up and more of the wall structure is in place.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. bingo66

bingo66

seats and overhead cabinet carcasses are in place. The couches have to be fixed properly with the arms sited correctly but it does give a good idea of how things will look. I'm glad I asked for the Flxible logo to be stitched into the seat backs.

Just starting on the outside paint this week.

Attached Files:

10. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I have a '46 that my grandfather gave me before he moved south. He bought in 1961 from a bus line in mich. Yours is awesome, I am thinking about doing mine after the other projects i have sitting here. I really like the couches with the logo in them.

11. bingo66

bingo66

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated. If yours is a '46 then it will have the very rare front name plate with "Loudonville Ohio, USA" missing from underneath the word "Flxible". Mine was one of the last buses to have this name plate before they changed it. I've been offered $2,000 just for that so make sure you keep a close eye on it!!

Would love to see some pictures of the bus you have:eek:

Attached Files:

12. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the updates. A flexy is on my bucket list.Great work so far.

13. bingo66

bingo66

Thanks Doc. Never actually seen one of these buses in the flesh so can't wait to get this back to the UK!

14. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I will have to find the pics i have with my gramps in front of it. He passed away last winter so the bus is something i plan on keeping. I am going to have to look at the name plate on the front of it now and maybe take it off for safe keeping. I found a service manual in it when we were cleaning out all the junk he stored in it. At one time it had a 400 pontiac motor and trans in it for power. I was about 13 that was the only time i remember it moving under its own power.:D

15. Your bus looks great! I really like what they are doing with it. I also have a 47 Clipper. Bought it about 20 years ago, but haven't done much with it since the city got on my case and made me move it from the yard to a storage yard. I finally bought a shop this winter, and hope to move it in soon so I can get back to work on it. I will be installing a 3208T Cat diesel / Allison automatic combo in mine, and re-doing the dated interior conversion. Glad to see so many Flex owners on the HAMB!

16. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I got home last night and went out and looked at the name plate on the front of the bus. It is the one without the city on it. It was getting dark so i didnt look at removing it. How hard is it to get off?

17. bingo66

bingo66

Good luck with the restoration Jeff. Would like to see some pictures of the Flxible if you have any?

18. bingo66

bingo66

Not too hard to remove but be careful, they can crack where the main body thins out to the wings either side.

19. bingo66

bingo66

Main colour is now going on the Flxible. GM Nassau Blue or Bright Blue in some catalogues. Looks a bit much but there are white strips and a band of white around the bottom of the bus to break up the blue.

Attached Files:

20. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Is it bolted on from the inside or is it clipped on? I cant see the inside of the front with all the heater stuff in the way.:eek:

21. bingo66

bingo66

The nameplate has 3 bolts attached to it, protrudes through the front skin and fastened with 3 nuts on the inside.

22. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Thanks, i will see if i can get it off this weekend for safe keeping.

23. bingo66

bingo66

Paint detailing now being applied. Chrome should be back next week.

Attached Files:

24. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Looking great! I love the styling of the old Flxibles.

25. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Hubba hubba.

26. cshades

cshades
    from wi

That looks awesome. I just had one of my customers bring me a flxible bus paperweight. It is pretty cool. I looked on ebay and there was 2 of them on there for 199 bucks and he gave this one to me.

27. Ben38

Ben38
    from Minnesota

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking GREAT.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

29. Oh man I love these things. One day when I'm retired I want to hit the road in a converted bus. Not sure I want to be the one to build it though.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.