Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 to 261 swap '53 sedan water pump ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Dan

Dan

Preparing to swap the 235 for a 261 in our '53 chevy sedan, seems I remember there being some issue with the water pump?? Is this true or am I thinking of something totally different?? thanks-

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Depends on the year of the 261. Late ie 55 up have a big round hole in front of the block,if this is what you have buy the adapter to use the 53 style. That will put your fan etc. in the correct area. If your block has 2 small round holes you are good to go.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'54 261 is a bolt-in. '55 up will need a shorter pump & some mount work.

4. Dan

Dan

Here is my 261, assuming its a '55 and later? So I need an adaptor to use the 235 pump on the 261 block so everything lines up, correct? Where do I get said adaptor? Not too worried yet about the mounts, think I have that handled but will see...thanks-

Attached Files:

5. 36 Vette

36 Vette

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Buy a '55-'62 235 pump & shorten it yourself.

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep later block. Shortened late pump is not a good way to go as it limits badly the size of the fan and mounts it too low. The old Chevy vendors should have that adapter . No screwing moding the pump and finding a suitable WP pulley.

8. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I'm curious why a shortened pump isn't the way to go; which is what I've always done and have never had any issues. I use a late 60's Ford pulley; which is the same diameter as the stock Chevy, so there isn't any problems with the pump turning to slow or fast.

Here is some more reading on the subject.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search.php?searchid=9059296

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Like I said mounts the fan real low which means a smaller fan to clear things. Also you might be able to find a stock early pump on the road but fat chance on a moded one. Years ago the only option was to shorten the later pump,now with the adapter you can use stock pump and fan.

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

My memory of the early 235 pumps, was with the wider fan belt; which meant that you had change all of your other pulleys to use the wider belt. I suppose it is just a preference issue. I'd think that it would be easier to find a later water pump than an earlier one if I was on the road. Other than sliding the hub back a little, I don't really see a big problem with modifying one if needed. But of course if we are looking at what if scenario's, trying to find almost any parts for these old engines while on the road is going to be difficult.

As far as a problem with the fan, each application is going to be different. I've run a 235 in my 47 Chev for years with a modified water pump without any problems. I ran an after market 6 bladed fan, which didn't seem to be too small.

I suppose we can agree to disagree, neither way is wrong.

11. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

53-54 cars used a narrow belt and I think that started in 51-52.

12. Snarl

Snarl

Ever been stuck in traffic for a half hour when it's 90 degrees out?

13. Snarl

Snarl

Narrow belt started in '53.

adapting a '53-54 water pump is the better way to go for all the reasons mentioned.

14. sololobo

sololobo

cool info on the mighty blue flame motors

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a 53/4 water pump and adapter on a 57 235 in my 37 Chevy p/u and no problems so far,I originally had a shortened pump with a 216 size pulley on it for a few years but it broke so on went a the older pump and adapter. I could never use a mechanical fan with the short pump on it but now can.