Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Year in Cars: 1957

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Agreed !!!!!

For those that were not around in 1957 (me included) just look at a side by side comparison of any of the 57 Mopars to any other make and you will see why Mopar sales jumped up that year. The Mopar roof lines were several inches lower than the competitors. Unfortunately, Mopar rushed these cars to market and they suffered from horrible quality and some serious design flaws that led to very early rust out. My dad told me his 57 Desoto was already rusting through by 1958!! Then its head warped and he sold it.
    They sure were beauties and I am glad some have survived.

2. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

By 1957 hot rods had reached the mainstream's consciousness and Detroit responded with "factory hot rods".

Attached Files:

3. sixbangr

sixbangr

used mine for a figure 8 car, many cool cars were there in the 60's and 70's. You could buy most older cars for $50 or so running.

4. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  5. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  6. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

So many fine looking cars came out in 1957, but make mine a black Fairlane 2 dr. hardtop.

7. So true. The quad lamps and rooflines on the Mopars put them at the head of the pack in '57.

8. In my early days I always liked the top of the line model 57's........over time my faves changed and the 57 150 Chevy's with the283 2x4 package or the FI cars along with the 57 Ford 300 sedan have become my favorites from 57.....but the Nomads and Safari wagons are still strong contenders. What a year for cars...great thread.:)

9. I have always wanted a Skyliner. Someone in my town has one they bring to an annual show that is perfectly restored. These cars are awesome in pictures, but way better in person. Real cool. :D

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

My first car was a 57 Chevy 210 2 door in 64. I love the Chevy's and the old GM cars in general. That red and black Buick wagon is OUTSTANDING!. It was interesting to hear that the Fords might have been used up stock car racing, just don't see many, always wondered , why? John

11. Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  12. Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  13. Rare bear - 1957 Nash Ambassador

[​IMG]

14. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Winner winner chicken dinner..57 Ford

15. 57 was a great year for almost all makers and I love 'em all but my favorite will always be my coveted 57 Pontiacs.
    Speaking of fast 57 cars, who won the Datona 500 in '57? Yep, a red and white 57 chieftain sedan with the nascar 347 cu in motor.
    What motor do I have for my 34 coupe? A 57 Poncho motor punched out to 370 cu in.

Attached Files:

16. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

I would have thought for sure that a Roadmaster would have had the 3 back windows? I have seen quite a few 57 Buicks with the 3 back window setup and a bunch without, were there options when ordering or was it that some models just didn't come out with them? I have a 57 Buick 4 door hardtop Century parts car and it has the four ports on the fenders and the 3 back windows......
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think the explanation is that Specials and Centuries shared their body with Oldsmobile, and had the 3 window top. But Roadmaster shared its body with Cadillac, and had the wraparound back window.

18. 1957 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer convertible.

[​IMG]

19. One of the best Cadillac years IMO. Everyone talks about the '57 Chevy, fine, but I think Cadillac hit the home run at GM that year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014