Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac is Dead... Who Cares, Right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRH, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I care.Here are my two HAMB friendly ones.I also have two non HAMB friendly ones:a 1994 25th Anniversary T/A I've owned since new and my wife's 2009 G3(Daewoo made);the last Pontiac.

Attached Files:

2. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Pontiac was bound to die due to the fact that is was no longer politically Correct. Just think . A car driving around with a dead Indian on the hood. And the name Chieftain. OH NO. And Pontiac Star Chief. And what about a Firebird. OH NO. Not a little bird on fire. And a Star Chief OH NO another Indian name:eek: And of all things. A Banhee OH MY God. This is the most racist car ever built. And of all things a Super Chief:eek:. No wonder GM got rid on the most non politically Correct Car ever built;)

3. adam401

adam401

Pontiac. Fancy Chevy or shitty Oldsmobile. You be the judge.

4. The first car I bought brand new from the factory was a Pontiac.
    Wish I still had it.

5. How about Stingray, fish have feelings too.

6. I sure hope that was a poor attempt at humor, as you couldn't be serious :rolleyes:

And what the hell is a Banhee?

7. slammed

slammed

Banshees are usually seen by a person who is about to die in a violent way such as murder.
    Although not always seen, her mourning call is heard, usually at night when someone is about to die and usually around woods.
    The banshee can appear in a variety of guises. Most often she appears as an ugly, frightening hag, but she can also appear as a stunningly beautiful woman of any age that suits her. In some tales, the figure who first appears to be a "banshee" is later revealed to be the Irish battle goddess, the Morrígan. Hell'a name for a modern car eh? Back to PONTIAC Any one have a dual quad powered one? Would love to put a early '60's Poncho into a '60's GMC someday.

8. dmikulec

dmikulec

Nuttin' stopping GM from bringing it back someday. Stranger things have happened.

9. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

hodroddon. This is a concept Pontiac Banshee. I'm sorry you can't see the humor it this post. This is the same bull shit that is going on with the Red Skins. Lets laugh a little:)
    [​IMG]

10. R.I.P. GM Holden 1917- 2017

Attached Files:

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Yep Holden is gone, RIP. No more GTO's, but Chevrolet SS's. After that, it's anyone's guess. Nth. American & European based GM in RHD guise? All part of globalisation and standardised platforms.

12. 270ci

270ci

Yah!!!....A politically incorrect frikken outrage those Pontiacs!!!

Makes me so damn proud to be an American!:D

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

For some reason, this makes me think of the Snuffleupagus(sp):p

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pontiac has been dead for a long time, all they did was bury the moldy carcass. Sure made some good looking cars in thier heyday though...

[​IMG]

15. Falcongeorge, that bubbletop is beautiful! No wonder they are priced so far out of reach.

16. CruZer

CruZer

I second that emotion.
    55-64 Pontiacs were always cars I lusted for. They are beautiful alright.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd take one of those HANDS DOWN over a '61/'62 Bel Air. One of the best looking cars of the decade, IMO.

18. gtowagon

gtowagon

I have always owned pontiacs and always will and don't realy care if they are not in production anymore

19. 30panel

30panel

Got one "avatra" !

<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden"><input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

20. 270ci

270ci

Easy there slugger...that sarcastic pun was absolutely said in jest! Kinda thought the big grin :D made it self explanatory. A "politically correct" fan I am not...just ask some of my embarrassed friends. And I am very proud to be an American, as I chose to be one, my friend. ;)

21. DrJ

DrJ

I worked as a service advisor at Salta Pontiac in Long Beach, CA. the early '80's.
    My Dad worked tune up at Arman Pontiac in Compton, CA. in the early '70's.
    He was the guy all the tri-power owners went to for a tuneup.
    He told me he went to the eye doctor to get "trifocals," one for driving, one for reading and he took a screwdriver with him to get the third lens to focus at the distance of his arm plus to the end of that screwdriver so he could see those idle screws! ;)
    I think Pontiac, like Oldsmobile, seriously lost their way and there wasn't anyone with the balls, (or the lack of them, judging by the choice for the new female CEO?) to tell them they are fucking up.
    The most blatant screw up is the "Grand Prix."
    It is/was supposed to be a two door "personal touring car"
    but at the end you could only get that name on a dowdy four door sedan.
    In the mean time, they invented the "Grand Am" which was originally a Grand Prix appointed car but a four door... which ended up being the only two door offered? WTF is up with that?
    Major name identity screwup!
    I learned to drive in an Oldsmobile.
    I have owned three of them and like them.
    (I have owned three VW's and they were just ok..)
    Olds was always the "luxury sporty car" of the GM line. They were way upscale from a Pontiac but had a firmer "sportier" suspension than a Buick. This was back when it was considered ostentatious for a Doctor, who works for a living, to drive a Cadillac so he drove a Buick...
    This was obvious to me as a kid when My Dad worked at a Cadillac/Oldsmobile/Ferrari dealership, because those names were NOT in competition with each other's market.
    Oldsmobile was a test mule for Cadillac.
    Did you ever notice that the Toronado came out a year ahead of the FWD Eldorado?
    It's because they wanted some real life road test miles on the drive train before letting it out in the Caddy.
    They remembered the '58-'59 air bag fiasco...
    (My Dad took me to the GM training school with him for the air bag system training when I was 11 years old and they talked about the bags leaking and owners finding their cars sitting on the ground in the morning and being the life long lowrider that I was even then thought " what's wrong with that?")

But then they screwed up, they only built "Old man's Oldsmobiles." Dowdy looking square box on wheels sedans without the sportiness that held the kind of clientele they had before, and believe me, we were still looking for that sportiness in an Olds!
    If either of these brands are to come back they need to cure these issues.
    Pontiac needs a made in USA GTO that will run the paint off any Dodge built and a mid size(?) Grand Prix that only comes in a two door coupe and convertible, and a Bonneville that comes in a sedan, and a two door coupe and convertible.
    Olds needs the same with the Starfire and 442.
    Saturn was the nemesis of the established names and it was only invented as a ploy against the labor requirements of Detroit, and it blew it thrice fold.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  22. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

Attached Files:

23. telekenfun

telekenfun

I need to make some comments that I hope will express my respect for the PONTIAC brand. In retrospect It is easy to see that Pontiac's demise was inevitable. But it was not the fault of the management of the Pontiac Division of GM but the fault of the overall Corporate management at GM. The bean counters at corporate had no way of factoring into accounting the value of Pontiac's attempts at leading edge style, experimentation and performance designs. Corporate was happy to allow Pontiac to stretch out from the other divisions but were unable to justify it to the accountants at Corporate. Pontiac stylists and engineers, I believe, strived to create a better product in every way possible to increase their market share but where in the end stymied by corporate constraints.
    Pontiac at least since the Post War were forced to share basic body shells with all the other GM cars. However, their stylists were always able to create a nicer looking automobile. Pontiac engineering was also pushing the envelope with cooperation with Chevrolet in the development of Fuel Injection. Later they introduced "Wide Track" suspension as an improvement in road handling and stability.
    Throughout the years Corporate GM has been more and more restrictive with the divisions until there became little distinction between the marques which culminated with the establishment of corporate engines and drivetrains.
    The best example of Pontiac exceptionalism would be their design and development of the Pontiac FIERO. In the midst of the gas crises of the 70's and 80's and the constraints of corporate their engineers where able to reach into the corporate parts bins and create a totally new two seater commuter car. Every component, engine, transmission, suspension, etc, came from existing parts that they made into the mid engine car in American manufacturing. Additionally, the body they developed for it was the first production use of polyurethane paneling. This is the paneling also used on all Corvettes since 1984, prior to then Corvettes were made from fiberglass.
    Pontiac was really and secretly designing a true american sportscar in the Fiero. With the eventual V6 /5speed and Lotus suspension the 89 prototypes out performed the 89 Corvettes on the GM TEST CENTER. When Corporate got news of that they immediately pulled the plug on the entire Fiero Product line. Corporate couldn't allow their performance ICON to be challenged. This had to be devastating to Pontiac's Engineering and Design Departments. Not much ever came from Pontiacs thereafter.
    Although, my comments may not seem HAMB relative, the tradition of design excellence and classic design of the old Pontiacs does.
    Best Regards to all Posters and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB aka telekenfun.

24. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] This one. ANY bubble top is better than no bubble top.

25. tuckpoint

tuckpoint
    from omaha,nebr

Did a 69 Firebird convt for a friend ,started with a rolling pile now it a damn good car 400 auto the family will keep it for ever.(but the Vettes are for sale)

26. Marvin Thighblaster

Marvin Thighblaster
    from Australia

I'm working away on saving this '62 Bonneville moredoor hardtop. It was a "parts car" but it's too good to let rot :)

Attached Files:

27. GRX

GRX
    from MD

Great subject. Well worth reviving an older thread for. Pontiacs have always had a special place in my heart.
    One reason I've had my '69 GTO since '86.

The experimental 427 OHC Hemi is one I'd like to see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. gasser dad #1

gasser dad #1
    from Minnesota

Makes me want to keep the 39 sedan I own.

29. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

I'm keeping the Pontiac name going here in the UK. I have a '66 lemans with a later 455ci that I'm restoring, I've built a 461 stroker that is now in a street strip Firebird, and am currently researching to build a 400 blown engine to put in a 60's style '41 willys gasser.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. wicarnut

wicarnut

Evolution of auto industry is ever changing, like everything, good or bad, the Best Pontiac ever, IMO, 64 GTO. The first muscle car, Pontiac made some serious muscle in the 60's. John