Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hokey Ass Career suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Woods, Dec 2, 2007.

1. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

That update was great. So happy you have made it. Wish you the best and remember to pay it forward. Remember there are other kids out there like you.

2. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Great Story and update! Nice to see you kept pluggin' away! :)

3. fedjeffy

fedjeffy
    from socal

Here is the reply my dad sent me ! He can't remember his password to reply on this site. Thanks for your advice.

Found your post on the HAMB and I very moved. That was a great idea; to go back and give the rest of the story now that you've become successful. I never knew so many people had come and offered their opinions... I am very proud of what you've accomplished, and I'm very proud of YOU, for who you are and what you believe in. When/If you become a father, you'll find out that you never quit being a father once your kid has grown up, so I still will worry about you, the decisions you make, etc. because I'll always love you. You've been my best friend all these years!

Now, some advice -- never give up, never be satisfied with what you've accomplished... there's always more to do, more things to learn, more fun to have. You didn't accomplish all you have now overnight; it was a day by day, week by week, month by month effort... keep going! Keep learning; work around the obstacles that stand in your path. Just don't settle; don't say "this is enough" .

Life is one big competition --so far, you've cut a good light, the car's hooked up and headed straight down the track, but you've got a lot more ahead of you before you and God decide to pull the 'chute. Focus on that tach, make a clean one-two shift, check the oil pressure, and don't let the other guy get ahead of you. Ashley, your mom, your sisters, your friends, and your old man are all in the stands cheering for you --- we all want to see that "win" light come on at the end of a long career. Some of us might not be there to see that -- I'll probably be over at the great swap meet in the sky -- but we'll hear the roar of the crowd nonetheless.

4. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

Way to Go! Too many get discouraged early on. You are lucky to have a Father that has instilled that drive in you to succeed.

5. Good to hear things worked out,...so, after all this; how's your back doin? just curious.

6. WOW, What an inspirational thread! Thanks for getting back to us on here to let us know how it all turned out for you. Keep moving forward. I don't even know you, but I'm proud of you nonetheless.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Joined the USAF as an aircraft mechanic. After discharge became an FAA licensed A&P mechanic for a major airline. Rose through the ranks into aircraft maintenance management. Resigned before the airline went bankrupt and hired on with the FAA as an Air Carrier Aviation Safety Inspector. Rose through the ranks and retired from the FAA as the Manager of the Kentucky Flight Standards District Office. The Federal Government is a great employer. Pay scales above industry, great retirement and medical coverage (with no Obama Care necessary). Unless involved with aircraft accidents, no nights, holidays or heavy lifting. I would highly recommend a career with the Federal Government to anybody. Its provided a great life for me and my family. Its also allowed me to play with my toys. An Air Traffic Controller is another path to a high paying career.

8. fedjeffy

fedjeffy
    from socal

Luckily for me I work in the engineering department in R&D. So I spend more than half my time in meetings developing the next best ideas. I have a job where I get to sit around half the time using nothing but my mind yet the other half the time I get to design and build state of the art parts for aerospace markets. My back still hurts every day but the pain is what reminds me to never forget the past and never settle. I do give thanks to my father who cares greatly about me but I wouldn't be where I am without the sheer determination and will to follow my dreams. Oh and I had a great girl standing right next to me so I wouldn't get lost in all my crazy ideas.

I am truely blessed and am very thankful for all I have been afforded. I may have been a punk kid when I was first introduced to this site and took for granted what my father did for me. However I am very thankful now for the hot rodding family I have. I cannot believe the interest in my little story and how many of you took the time to give a little of your time to help me in some way or another.

I have attached two more pictures one of which is my beautiful fiancé and myself the day I asked her to spend the rest of my life with me. And the other is the house attached to wonderful garage I bought.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  9. fedjeffy

fedjeffy
    from socal

My phone won't let me upload two images for some reason.

Attached Files:

10. Roadsir

Roadsir

Good for you! Thanks for taking the time to give everbody an update. We can see your Dad is proud.

11. williebill

williebill

Went back and reread the whole thread, and as usual, read a ton of good advice given by HAMBers to the kid.
    Made me reflect on 35+ years of self employment in a retail/service business.
    At 61 years old, while my friends are retiring, I'm wondering if I can pay myself next week.
    I've made 85K a year, and I've made 18K, too. Raised 2 kids who both make many times what I make, in spite of my parenting. They work hard for their paycheck, but are both very successful in their fields.

I wish somebody had sat me down 40 years ago, and told me what the HAMB told this kid.
    Glad it's turned out so well for you.

12. Great advice Storm King

13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi fedjeffy.Outstanding.The best to you and the young Lady.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. Great story. Keep up the good progress.