Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1937 Packard Chop and build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Double 'G', Feb 2, 2012.

1. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

I plan on having the rear end at or slightly lower than what is in these recent pictures. It might only be about 1/2 or 1 inch lower in the back at the bumper. I am more for a level or slight forward rake, and will not have the tail dragging. I intend to have a big inch, big power motor, so the rear end will need to be set up for abuse. Currently I have a short piece of square tube welded in between the original axle and frame. I will already need to C-notch the frame for clearance. It seems I can get a 9-10 inch tire in the fenders, but time will tell. GG

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. MAN!those artillery wheels are the shit Gary!

3. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

Thanks Kenny. They are off some old 2.5 ton truck or something. A 16x5.5 inch rim with a big 6 lug pattern. The fronts with the turned down adaptors are perfect with the Mustang front end. The rears will need to be widened about three inches but will tune in when the rear springs are on. I will stay in touch. Take care. GG

4. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

Test fit a motor in the Packard the other day. I liked it so ordered the real deal. It will be in the mail from Skip White Performance in the next week or so. I also have the rear spring kit and new 9 inch installed. I am waiting on the real motor for final fit with pan, but it should sit down about 2 more inches. GG

Attached Files:

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That doesn't look like a hemi? ;)

6. Subscribe! I think i'm in love.

7. Wow, i like this. All Packards need to be hot rodded, and this is a fine example.

8. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Wow. That is some excellent metal work on the chop, this is really coming together. Well done.

9. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

Ha. Well you got me. The big inch nostalgic motor is going to a car club FED. I just couldn't justify the HEMI in a hooded car? Also the blower wouldn't fit under the hood, fenders were a little narrow up front etc. etc.. I also sold my 32 sedan with a great HEMI motor and felt like the HEMI's need to be exposed. This BBC motor is no slouch. Scat rotating assembly, compression and roller motor will .612 lift I have a 60's Hilborn 8 stack injector to convert to EFI, should have 650 horse on the dyno. I will build a long wheelbase dragster to run at the drags with HEMI. That is next. Got about three cars left in my eyes and hands. Gg

10. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Chop looks amazing, I really like how the B pillar got layed back. Looks better all around for sure!

11. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

So I was on another page and someone asked if I had a build thread on the Packard...Oh yeah. I forgot about that.

Our club was invited to show up at Autorama here in Houston. So we did. I finally stabbed the motor and tranny in the Packard. I also worked on the rear artillery wheel modification plus tires. This work has only led to me needing to narrow the frame about 6 inches for clearance and I will need to R&R the x-member. I have the motor tied down but the tranny cross member will need to be re worked with the x-member. I had tried to save it this whole time because of the style and look. Interesting enough the car had quite a bit more attention than I expected. I wrote on the bear metal the different modifications on the body and that had people really looking close. It was pushed away with an award in the front seat! Not bad for a work in progress. I also talked with Gene Winfield for a bit about the front radiator grill shell. I think it needs to be nosed a bit. GG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    speedaddict likes this.
  12. 4444Design

4444Design

that's one cool lookin' rig

13. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

So I took the side panels off for some of these pictures. At the show I had one on and one off. What do you all think? With or Without? GG

14. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

I like WITHOUT! Your car looks Great, love the chop, the motor is killer, and the Artilleries are cool. Is that the vin. stamped on the Firewall? If so, I wish they were all like that!! :)

15. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

That number on the firewall is the production number, which is kind of a serial number. I have a title for the car an it appears to use the original engine number as the VIN. The number on the firewall is unique to the car, as my other 37 had a unique number stamped there. GG

16. desotot

desotot

Great thread! When I was in high school my neighbours nephew had a hot rodded 37 packard 110 3w coupe with a 327. I always liked the car. Yours looks great, nice chop, nice mill.

17. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would you please verify that 363853 is the number stamped on the cowl wall. There is a person in the Packard club that is compiling a data base of the these numbers and vehicle numbers on the patent plates. Do you have the patent plate? It was fastened with screws on the cowl wall on the upper LH side. Also, does the Packard have a rumble seat or regular trunk? Appreciate the help.

(o{}o)

18. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

19. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Mine starts with 37,and has the brass plaque screwed to the firewall[cowl]PM me if you need any detail.ok, Gaz!

20. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GG - The stamped number on the cowl was unique for each car Packard built. It is often referred to as a theft proof number since it is stamped into the wall. It was common practice to use the engine number as the vehicle number for registering and licensing these cars. My '37 Six convertible coupe is registered this way. My friend is compiling a data base of numbers to ascertain the number produced using the cowl and patent plate numbers. Thanks for the number data I will pass it on.

(o{}o)

21. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

KILLER Build. Love the chop, wheels, stance....everything. Also agree with Gene Winfield; the Rad.Spt. could use a little sectioning, especially if not running the Hood Sides. That would be the Crown on the Queen.

VR&C.

22. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

OK, so how would you metal workers change the look at the top of the radiator grill shell. I had planned to remove the hood ornament and weld up the two piece hood into a one piece like some of these pictures. I also wanted to make the side panels easy removable and delete the actual hinge that holds the top to the sides. Attached are the only other pictures of similar work, although I am not sure anyone else has tried to soften the sharp edge on the top of the grill shell. Gene said to take an inch out, but to be sure not to round the front down and forward, which I agree. Still want to have the look but it seems to me the front edge kind of turns up at the nose, maybe just a half of an inch. Would you pie cut or section the sides and turn down the top area with the ornament? Or would you just take out a section above the grill insert and below the ornament? Maybe I should 86 the ornament and take a few more pictures. I also like the lowered stanchions on the green car, might need to incorporate some of that... GG

Attached Files:

23. Beautiful car! I do have to say the top of the grill shell is the one thing I've never liked on these cars. At least not on a custom. I'd take a good look at the bottom of the shell, and see if you couldn't come closer to that shape and peak on the top.

24. spiders web

spiders web

Watching this one!

25. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

JWL115C GG - The stamped number on the cowl was unique for each car Packard built. It is often referred to as a theft proof number since it is stamped into the wall. It was common practice to use the engine number as the vehicle number for registering and licensing these cars. My '37 Six convertible coupe is registered this way. My friend is compiling a data base of numbers to ascertain the number produced using the cowl and patent plate numbers. Thanks for the number data I will pass it on.

Hello JWL115C, Hope you don't mind me bringing this Packard back to life as a different kind of youngster. I hate to see them dying under someone's barn roof like the other 115C I had. I have sold that car to a guy in North Texas if you would like to track that number down just send me an email. I see you have a few Packards, how about posting a picture? GG

26. richard lechner

richard lechner
    from Ct

Wow, until now I thought my car did not need a chop. RL

Attached Files:

• car.PNG
      car.PNG
      File size:
      96.7 KB
      Views:
  27. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

How about sending me some better pictures to my email? I have a stash of pictures to look at and compare. Thanks. GG

QUOTE=richard lechner;9561623]Wow, until now I thought my car did not need a chop. RL[/QUOTE]

28. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

Nice work and looking real clean I agree with Tinbender the top of the grill looks to square....will you run skirts ? I kinda like a hood ornament on it if it flows right would have to see a few on it to make up my mind .....but your on the right track

29. RussTee

RussTee

love these packards

30. Double 'G'

Double 'G'
    from Houston

Well how about some updates on this Packard? I am glad to report progress. Progress of the good kind. I have been able to bolt the car together for the first time in a long time. I actually have never seen it completely together with all holes filled with bolts and tightened up. It appears the fenders, running boards and body mate up well. How about I go back a few months and I will start with some progress pictures....it starts with pull the body, media blast and remove the x-member. GG

IMG_20140612_104757_953.jpg IMG_20140613_110909_000.jpg IMG_20140630_085608_578.jpg IMG_20140923_072334_864.jpg

Attached Files: