Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc valve adjust the easy way?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carpunk, Dec 17, 2013.

1. carpunk

carpunk

is it true u can adjust the rockers by simply tightening them up untill snugg then 1/2 a turn and fine adjust by ear after when running?
    you dont need to rotate the engine to any particular place as the ,,rub,, all the time
    kind of makes sense but every body says to rotate to this then this do this order ect ect

had a few garage guys tell me dont waste your time just do as above its much quicker

anybody?

2. stakebed

stakebed
    from White, SD

Only if your cam is completly flat on every lobe!

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The cam has to be on the base circle of that particular cylinder..if the cam is on the lobe..and you just tighten it like you said..the valve will barely open if at all..

4. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The correct way is turn the engine till you have compression on #1 cylinder. Once you have it on TDC, you adjust the following valves #1,3,4,8, exhaust & #1,2,5,7, inlet. Then you turn the motor over once back to the timing mark, you are now firing on #6. You adjust #2,5,6,7, exhaust & #3,4,6,8, intake. For hydraulic lifters you back the rocker of till you have ply, then you take out all the slack between the push rod & rocker, then you tighten the rocker nut half a turn. This will place the hydraulic lifter plunger half way through it's travel. The same applies for solid lifters using a feeler gauge & adjusting to the desired valve gap. A bit complicated but works very well for me. Cheers. :)

5. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Hi Punk;
    (Cool name!) Do like Dago sayes. More cams have been ruined by trying to save time than just about anything else. I use a length of heater hose about 3' long as a stethescope. Follow Dago's directions to the "T" and then warm it up. Pull one valve cover and adjust it running. I used to go 1/4 turn, but ended up with some clatter. Went to 1/2 turn and works better. You will make a mess, but cutting the top out of an old valve cover and screwing it down will save a lot of oil on the exhaust. I tried to load a pic of my valve cover for adjusting but can't get a pic to load. Sorry.
    Steve

6. 41hemi

41hemi

Dago's way is the proper way. This is done while the engine is NOT RUNNING! I used to do it running with the cut open valve cover but it's just senseless to make the unnecessary mess:)

7. txturbo

txturbo

Thats how you adjust them if you have hydraulic lifters. Adjustment with solid lifters needs to be done the other way.

8. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Dago has it covered but i'm one of them that don't trust the lifters that are coming in from China(over 90%)and will adjust them running

9. I've been doing it the way Dago posted for 40 years and I rarely ever have to touch the adjustment again for the life of the engine. You can easily "feel" when you have all the slop out by spinning the pushrod back & forth with your fingers. Go another half turn & call it good. Repeat..

10. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

That is not how you do it with hydraulic lifter's!!!!!!!!!!