Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A customers 30/31 A roadster on 32 rails

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by titus, Sep 8, 2013.

1. titus

titus

A few weeks ago a hamber i had done a dropped axle for a while back had asked me about doing some work on his 30/31 roadster, basic chassis set up and some body mounting patching etc etc, so here are some pics of some of the things weve done to it.

Specs:
    30/31 roadster
    32 frame
    35-40 x-member
    59ab flathead
    39 trans
    36 rear end
    35 wires.

Attached Files:

2. titus

titus

The above work was accomplished in one hard days work.

the pics below are of another half day we worked, basically working on building a set of subrails for the hacked up body, we got the body perched on the new subrails and tacked down, we got the doors rough fit and now we have to do some wheel well patches and a few other bits.

then its on to the steering, brake pedals, then floor pans.

we also started on some more strengthening of the center of the x-member.

jeff

Attached Files:

3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

A day and half and that's all the farther you got?

As usual, nice stuff Jeff!

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Very nicely done Jeff, but you always do.

5. Thought Id see a video doing burnouts by now...

Great work as usual!

6. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Are you using stock flathead exhaust or headers?

7. titus

titus

Thanks guys. My dad works for me so its both of us working together on stuff now.

Im not sure what he is doing for exhaust yet but im thinking its gonna be stock exhaust manifolds.

JEFF

8. daddio211

daddio211

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

The crossmember in the center of the X is quite a bit less that what Henry used. Are you going to add more? Do you think that is all you need? It looks like it will flex and be worthless

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

see last photo in post #2

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for posting the photos, I plan on using the same setup on mine. Got an X member out of a '37 and flattened the rear crossmember. Plan is to buy som JW Rod Shop rails and have it mocked up next year. I work way slower than you. Bob

12. titus

titus

Yep, did a bottom plate and plan to do a top also, and actually its super rigide the way it is right now too, so it would work the way it is but were gonna still add the top.

The fram is fully boxed inbetween the x membes to so thats strengthens the frame tremendiosly, if it werent boxed there it would flex a ton more.

JEFF

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

14. Grat stuff, Jeff!! You always into the cool.

15. titus

titus

lil more progress.

We cropped the f1 box's mounting flange closed to the side of a stock 32, the frame had already been repaired there so there was only a hole for the pitman shaft, so we installed the box and put it where we liked and drilled the pattern into the frame and shimmed it according, it worked out really nice.

We also got the 40 pedals fit and tweaked and the front corner of the X-frame modified to clear the pedal arm.

JEFF

Attached Files:

16. titus

titus

we got the pedal assmbly and steering box mounted the other day so today was floor day, first we finished up the top of the x-member, then mounted up some rear shocks, then we got onto the floors, got most all done except for the toe board and the rear section, I had the rear section all cut out and shaped but needed to roll some beads in but my bead roller isnt deep enough, so i called up my freind Terry Stolarski (he puts out a pullmax video) and went over and we used his pullmax to put some in, Thanks Terry and Lee! so got home and layed that panel in, i weld it in later tonight. another good progress day!

Attached Files:

17. 30modelacoupe

30modelacoupe

I'm subscribed. Great work Jeff! Pics and info I can use later on my own '30 Roadster build. I really like the floor panels, looks really great.
    By the way, the Roadster doors I got from you fit really well on the mockup I did of all the different parts I've been buying over the years.

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

19. Very nice Jeff, looks great, what is the rear end from, did you have to narrow it? I assume you pinched the frame a bit? Keep going!!

Eric.

20. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Amazing work! I'll be watching this one.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. titus

titus

rear end is a 36 ford, no norrowing needed.

the frame is pinched prob around 3/4 of an inch per side

22. titus

titus

Havent remembered to post on here about this car lately so heres a batch of pics.

We got the front toe boards all done, so the floors are basically all done, we made a steering column for it too the we put some 1x1 tubing in to brace the quarter panels and a hoop with an X in it behind the seat and made a battery box and mounted the gas tank, and mounted a seat on tracks., then we pulled it all apart, finished a bunch of welding on the frame and had that blasted and had all the suspension stuff blasted, we sealed the frame and all the suspension parts the other day, today we put the front suspension on the car and did a trail fit on the chassis and did all the finall adjustments and tightened everything down, then pulled it off and set it up to paint, got it all painted and it dried enought to be able to put the suspension back on the frame tonight, tomorrow well be working on the rear end, getting it ready for pant and hopefully painting it.

JEFF

Attached Files:

23. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Subscribed...for floor craftsmanship alone! All those X's make me jealous, I struggle to bead roll a 10 inch straight line.
    Rename it "X coupe" or "Model X" for the themed floor , nobody will see, but only HAMB'ers will appreciate.:thumbup:

Attached Files:

24. titus

titus

Got the motor back in today and got the front on tires, also got th rear end all done and primed and paint today also, should have it all rolling tomorrow.

Attached Files:

25. titus

titus

the chassis is a roller

Attached Files:

26. servi53

servi53

excellent work keep us posted

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Nicely done. I'm jealous of anyone that has access to a Pullmax when it comes to making those "deep throat" beads.

Frank

28. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

really nice work!

29. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Looking good!

30. I don't know how I have missed this thread but as always I am in awe of the work you do Jeff. HRP