Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

a buddy of mine makes the spring bushings and sway bar bushings in urethane, if you want I can see if he has a set.

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

No. Well... I think that one end of the spring is the same front and rear, and the other end is different.

Here are fronts and rears (top).

[​IMG]

Here's the fixed end

[​IMG]

and the shackle end

[​IMG]

The eye is a bit mangled, but you can see teh difference in bushing sizes here for the fixed end.

[​IMG]

Notice how the fixed end has a greater diameter. This is the rear. If I remember correctly, the front has a smaller diameter fixed end and the rear has a much larger diameter fixed end, but the shackle eye is the same for front/rear springs. I had a problem with this because I accidentally put the front springs on the rear, and when I went to switch them I realized that the front bushings didn't fit. That's when I ordered the correct ones from McVeigh.

3. hershambob

hershambob

thanks im getting a kit from mcveighs

4. hershambob

hershambob

[​IMG]
    got this one out of socal,on its way to England!!1975 250/c4

droppedstepside likes this.
  5. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Mines for sale in classifieds. want something else....

6. 67econoline gasser

67econoline gasser
    from Florida

What springs are you using to get that lift ...and where did you get them looking to lift my Eco- pick up

7. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

My E100 Christmas tree truck....

[​IMG]

droppedstepside likes this.
  8. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Looks great!! So fugly, so cool !! Now no one has a line on a '67 Econoline master cylinder do they?

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

The '67 MC is very rare and you can't get a rebuild kit for it... but there are a few kits out there that will retrofit a dual MC into any Econoline.

10. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I thought you can get a kit. I have seen some retro fit kits and thought they were too much money.I thought someone had plans for building a bracket to adapt another MC but can't seem to find one. Not interested in buying a $250 bracket :)

11. butch27

butch27

There is a company that resleves the bore with stainless . Saw them at Hershey.

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

Here's everything you need for $300
    http://www.themodernform.com/econoline/econoline_master.html

FWIW, the last time I saw a '67 MC it went for about $300.

I used one of Fred Carello's brackets and a '77 Maverick MC to go with my disk brakes. The bracket and MC was less than $100. I'm not sure if Fred is still making his brackets, but he sent me the plans.

13. tubular

tubular
    from MI

I've been looking for another econoline van or pickup. Should not have sold mine. Anybody have a line on one? Thanks

14. econolineherb

econolineherb

Hi . Check with the Econoline groups for the parts you want . There are Econolines there for sale too.

15. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Cool tailgate, lmao!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. 1968pickup

1968pickup
    from ND

Has anyone ever put or seen a yblock in a old econoline?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

They're heavy engines, right? I'm sure it could be done, but you'd probably have to make more modifications. Compare the mounts and oil pan to a 289/302 and compare dimensions. That will tell you a lot about how difficult it would be.

18. The Mickster

The Mickster

Mine's not finished by any means but it does run and drive. It's a 66 model, originally from the U.S. Navy. I put a 454 Chevy with Turbo 400 in the original
    dog house, after modifying it a little. I used Corbeau seats because they were the only small seats that would fit. Comp Cams Thumpr cam, Hooker Headers and Holley carb on Airgap manifold. The rear is original 9" 31 spline. Drilled the front axle with 1" holes. Using 4" blocks up front, but it's just temporary until I get the new springs built. Was original Navy issue gray inside and out. Will be 06 Hummer yellow when done. I wish now I had left the gray faded paint. Fun to play with, but not married to it by any means.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    droppedstepside and YocumBros. like this.
  19. dirttoo

dirttoo

WOW, I really like that. I just opened a small sign/vehicle lettering/wraps shop and I need one of these for my shop truck. Awesome!

20. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

I've never even thought of that one. things that make you go hmmmm.

21. I'm new to these vans and don't know Fred Carello. Do you still have the plans for that master cylinder bracket? I would assume that the brake pedal mounts in the bracket somehow - similar to the one on the Modern Forums site?

I'd like to upgrade my brakes sooner than later.

Seems like there would/should be an economical front disc swap possible too. Does anyone know of a way to swap to front discs using salvage yard or over the counter "parts store" parts?

Thanks, Jim

22. Hellfish

Hellfish

Send me you email address and I'll email the plans. It's actually pretty simple to build, but you'll need to cut a new filler access panel into the floor (or add a remote filler).

There are plans out there for a junkyard conversion using AMC parts... but good luck finding one in a junkyard. All of the D&D parts are common parts, so all you really need is the bracket.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. mclothier3

mclothier3

New guy checking in, just bought a 65 5 window pickup in rough shape, looks like its been sitting several years and will need pretty much everything gone thru. Besides the mechanical's needing attention, looks like its gonna need every patch panel they make and then some, since rust never sleeps.

Its got the 170 with the three speed on the tree, carb is missing, seller cant find the keys, etc, etc.

I think I had blinders on when I bought it, now Ive got buyers remorse, cant decide if I wanna spend the time and money to go thru it and get it back on the road or just punt.

Ill try to find some pics...

25. tubular

tubular
    from MI

Nice van!but that's not a econoline.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can call a pig a duck, but it ain't gonna quack.

27. slychamp

slychamp
    from Qc ca

i delete my last post was at the wrong place for it :eek:

same thing happen with my grumman people call it a stepvan !!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  28. mclothier3

mclothier3

Ive read thru 75% of all 120+ pages of this thread and didn't see if anyone has done a three on the tree to floor shift conversion?

The linkage on mine is pretty jankety, seems like a floor shift would work. Maybe not?

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have worked on some chevy vans that had factory floor shifters not very common but there may be some out there.

30. Get creative with the cable shifter from a front wheel drive.