Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

HAPPY THANKS GIVING to all. :)

2. Apologies if some recent pics I added are re-posts. I forgot to tag them 1st time around. . .:( If not, we're good! :)

[​IMG]

3. pyetime

pyetime
    from CO

My local race hero growing up in Upstate New York, Maynard Troyer.

Attached Files:

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

This is the late Dick Freeman at the old Dayton Speedway.

5. racemad55

racemad55

Is that the one he had his violent crash with? Hell of a mod. builder & driver. Been to his shop back in the day.

6. pyetime

pyetime
    from CO

Yeah, crazy wreck huh? Great guy man! I remember sitting in his modifieds after the races at Spencer Speedway as a kid. Good times!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

And who is that guy talking with Dick?

8. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

[​IMG]

Raceon, this is a great picture. Don't know who took it but they were on the ball when they did. # 70 is completely air born after running over the guys tire who is busy doing flips along the fence. Hope no one was heart when everything settled. Thanks for the great bunch of pictures. I was beginning to think no one was home anymore. :D

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I'm not absolutely sure. Some folks have thought it was me, but it's not, although Dick was a friend of mine. It looks a lot like a guy I knew from New Albany, Ind. whose last name was Cunningham, but I can't be sure.

Had to be an ARCA (or MARC, seeing as that's a '61 or '62 Mercury and the name became ARCA in 1964) race at Dayton. I'm sure I was there.

10. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Merry Christmas to all, :) and Happy New Year!

[​IMG]

11. Falconred

Falconred

I'm a little late getting back as I have been out of town. Hope you had a great Christmas and to all I pray for a great new Year to come.

Keep 'er side open, wide ways.

12. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

In deed Falconred, in deed.

13. Falconred

Falconred

John I have been recently in touch with Eva Taylor, Ms. NDRA an later Ms. All Pro. She is married now and doing well. It was great to hear from someone who was so much a part of racing back in those days.

14. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

That's good to hear Falcon, Glad they're doing okay as life carries on. Lord knows things aren't the way they were when we were growing up. I think our brightest hope is to show the kids out there today there is something more to life then Play Station, Wii and texting.

I got involved with cars when I was 15 or 16. A bit late for a guy my age I know, but it was a good thing then and it taught me something that is still some what useful today. Stock car racing was the icing on the cake for me, and I was glad I got a chance to do it, all-be-it short lived, when I was but a young buck of 25. ;)

15. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Really happy to hear that about Eva. She was a class act whenever she was at the track.

16. jc_1955

jc_1955
    from Wisconsin

17. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

I believe that John posted some photos of Ernie Derr racing in some (way) earlier posts on this thread. Got any more , John?

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Nope. As a matter fact, I'll probably have to go back to check on those. Jim Morrison at Hawkeye Racing News asked for some, saying their files had "walked away." I could only find a couple of the old ones.