Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

It is fun to see the place where we used to dine. It is gone now.
    A fellow Glendale Coupe and Roadster Club member introduced us to Yee Me Loos in the early 1960s. It was a place where the family could enjoy real Chinese food for a fair price. Usually there would be Chinese families dining there. Several of the racers would go there often. The old photo shows a fellow looking in the front window. That was a view into the kitchen area where a person on the street could see the cooking operation.
    Good memories Don

2. This thread needs a bump and quite by accident I stumbled across a site with some beautiful LA photos, with at least a couple photos from the early 1900s. These are sample shots from a photo history book of LA from various professional photographers. There's just more photos here than I have time to link to this page but it's worth clicking the link below to see them. If you click on the images most of them will open to a larger size.

http://kittypackard.com/los-angeles-portrait-of-a-city/

And with a few exceptions I don't think I've seen these pics posted here before.

Enjoy! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll say, thanks.

I cannot find the words to describe how cool this one is for those of us who were kids in the 40's and '50s (this is 1948)

[​IMG]

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And one more from that collection, just stunning (Hollywood Palladium Ballroom 1946)

[​IMG]

5. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Been a while since I have posted any L.A. stuff. Don't see that service much anymore.

Attached Files:

6. Fs2034

Fs2034

Do you have pictures of Scott's
    Derf

7. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

Nothing on Scotts, but here is Scottys

[​IMG]
    and Picadilly's

[​IMG]

and Scrivners...yes, I remember Art Laboe, did live shows from there...

[​IMG]

and Carl's...(hope none of these have been posted, I lost track of this site until today!

8. Fs2034

Fs2034

The BHClub.

9. Fs2034

Fs2034

You got that right....

10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

We ofter cruised to Scrivners but this one doesn't look familar. Any idea what street it was on or what city this one was in?

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Sunset Blvd in Hollywood

12. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Thanks.

I think the one we cruised to was on Western near Imperial in Inglewood.

13. OLLIN

OLLIN

Someone told me that clifton's cafeteria downtown is being restored. I just have a slight memory of going there as a kid. I hope its true!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Yes it is. The L.A. Times did a story on Clifton's Cafeteria about a year and a half ago. The present owner is doing a major restoration inside and out. The project was supposed to be completed at the end of 2013 but seems to be running behind schedule. My wife and I were in the area a few weeks ago and work continues, but the exterior is a long way from finished.

Clifton's Cafeteria is one of the downtown Los Angeles landmarks. They always had the philosophy that they would not turn away a hungry person who could not pay.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The drive-in that I remember from that neck of the woods (Slauson & Overhill) was the Wich Stand. Heavy cruising circa 1960.

16. That building is still there, but its a health food store now.

17. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]
    Forbidden Palace restaurant on Gin Ling Way in New Chinatown

[​IMG]

Joy Yuen Low restaurant located on 425 Gin Ling Way in New Chinatown. The sign above the entrance reads "Genuine Chinese Dishes." The Phoenix Bakery is beside it on 409 Gin Ling Way.
    [​IMG]

Chew Yuen Co. gift shop and Man Jen Low restaurant located on Gin Ling Way in New Chinatown.

[​IMG]

Rice Bowl restaurant in New Chinatown. Signs read "Rice Bowl--Famous Chinese Foods--Dancing," and "Dancing--Cocktails--Chinese Foods." Lim's Cafe and Tuey Far Low are also seen. Caption doesn't comment on '38 Ford sedan delivery in front.
    [​IMG]

Tuey Far Low restaurant located on 436 Gin Ling Way in New Chinatown. The sign above reads "Chop Suey --Tuey Far Low -- Real Chinese Food." The Kim Ling Inn restaurant is beside it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photograph caption dated March 31, 1947 reads, "Arrow points to gaping hole in the roof of the Tam O'Shanter Inn. A mysterious explosion reduced this famous restaurant from elegance to ruins." Guess they fixed it because I took a date there around '62 (didn't get carded for alcohol, was only 19)...think it was in Glendale (I sould remember!)

18. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Here are a couple of shots of Clifton's Cafeterias. The restaurant that is being renovated is at 7th St. and Broadway in downtown L.A. The second picture is of a second restaurant that was a few blocks away at 6th St. & Olive St. (closed some years ago). At one time there were 8 Clifton's Cafeterias, most of which were in suburban locations.

Attached Files:

19. metalman

metalman

20. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

Chinatown parade honoring Dr Sun Yat-sen, 1925

[​IMG]

Chinatown, 1937, Union Station under construction in the background

21. That is great info. Thanks for sharing. Any photo of Encell's in the 20s or 30s?

22. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    will not up load my pohtos

23. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

From the good old days of home delivery :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Love these threads that show the history of different cities.Thanks.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

26. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

[​IMG]

Photograph caption dated March 31, 1947 reads, "Arrow points to gaping hole in the roof of the Tam O'Shanter Inn. A mysterious explosion reduced this famous restaurant from elegance to ruins." Guess they fixed it because I took a date there around '62 (didn't get carded for alcohol, was only 19)...think it was in Glendale (I sould remember!)[/QUOTE
    My wife grew up in Glendale and said yes, Tam O'Shanter's was there or at least close (might of been just out of the city limit) and that it was rebuilt.[/QUOTE]

Tam O Shanter is alive and well in Glendale/Atwater in the same location on Los Feliz Blvd. They did fix the hole in the roof but sadly, prices have gone up.

27. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I think the kid facing the camera near the center of the photo did it .....

28. 15ASedan

15ASedan

Tam O Shanter is alive and well in Glendale/Atwater in the same location on Los Feliz Blvd. They did fix the hole in the roof but sadly, prices have gone up.[/QUOTE]

My Aunt & Uncle had their first date at the Tam-O-Shanter on Oct 14, 1950. 50 years later they traveled from their home in Colorado to celebrate their anniversary at this same place.

29. 4woody

4woody

"The abandoned city of Surfridge
    Ever flown out of LAX and saw what appeared to be an abandoned city below? It is. Palisades del Rey (aka Surfridge) was a beachfront city developed in the early 1920's by the famed Dickinson & Gillespie Co. By the mid 1930's, the neighborhood became a beachfront paradise, home to director Cecil B. DeMille and movie stars like Charles Bickford. More than 470 acres of gently rolling hill sides-prime ocean-view land above Dockweiler State Beach was dotted with beautiful homes and a caring community."

http://thechive.com/2012/08/28/right-at-the-heart-of-lax-lies-the-abandoned-city-of-surfridge-15-hq-photos/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Ramblux

Ramblux

Wow, I lived in Westchester for years and always wondered what was up with that area. Thanks for the info!