Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Sedan, what would you do..... photoshop help please?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BAILEIGH INC, Dec 13, 2013.

1. adam401

adam401

This is the best hot rod forum in the world and half the responses sound like they should be on fordbarn.com. Knock it off. Cut that roof throw those fenders in the woods, put some 40 ford wheels and black walls on it with a flatty and start breaking shit. Done. Your welcome

2. And why in hell would you throw a set of the prettiest fenders Ford ever built in the woods? I understand building a car without fenders, if you don't have any to start with. A perfect set of Model A fenders is a lot of work and/or a big expense. This fellow obviously spent good money for a Model A sedan that has had a very thorough restoration. If he wants to run later wire or steel wheels and caps, cool. If he wants to upgrade the brakes and power, great. But, for god's sake, if he wants a fenderless, cut up, primered "hot rod", sell this car to someone who appreciates it, and find a rusty swap meet body.

3. That is one beautiful sedan, just needs a blown flattie, chrome wires, and big n littles maybe a little drop to the front. Love it nice car ..........:D:D:D

4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I would leave it stock but say no more than wheels & tires. Juice brakes may be for the future. It is so clean and straight I wouldn't chop it up.

5. If you find you want more than it can give you in it's present state, dig up another "A" frame and build a hot rod chassis on the side. Once the chassis is done, change over the body.

Keep the fenders, sedans are cool with full fenders. The world has enough over-chopped, over-channeled, and over-lowered squashed bug looking sedans as it is.

Minimum of downtime, less chance of it turning into a long term, interest destroying project, and you can usually peddle a good running and driving stock "A" chassis for decent money.

Friend of mine tired of the limitations of his restored '29 sedan in the late '80s, switched it over to a hot rod chassis and has been driving it everywhere ever since.

6. Well said!

7. You got that right! HRP

8. no such thing as "to nice to cut". every rod or custom was mint at one time and thankfully there were people who were brave enough to do something with them besides leave it alone. If you want a chopped and dropped car with a bunch of insane horse power do it , if a slightly modified stocker is what you want do that....or you could put some lawn chairs in it and gripe about people messing up old cars.

9. Squablow

Squablow

Our Great Race Model A speedsters had an overdrive that was part of the driveshaft, kind of expensive but no real cutting and those cars would do 85 on an otherwise stock Model A engine. I would think even that sedan could do 60 or 65 relatively comfortably with overdrive.

There's a pic on the HAMB somewhere of a guy who cut up a second stock A exhaust manifold and welded end caps on to make a set of split manifolds for dual exhaust, I thought that was an awesome idea.

Juice brakes are good, apparently there's a "floater" kit for the mechanical brakes that is supposed to be real good as well, although I've never driven one.

I also like the idea of '35 16" wire wheels. I personally would eliminate the spare in the rear and ditch the bumpers completely, or maybe run some '32 bumpers for a cleaner look.

10. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Here are pictures of my 29. 59AB w/ 37 3spd trans and model A rear with 3.54:1 gears. Juice brakes. Dropped axle and reverse eye spring, split wishbones, 37 ford cross steer. Reverse eye rear spring. Drive the hell out of it.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387148102.367745.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387148122.349683.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. 3spd

3spd

12. olskool34

olskool34

This is my 29 coupe, was a bone stock original car, all I did was a reversed eye front spring, clings adapter for the 39 trans, 35 wires and that's it. I do plan on removing some leaves in the back this spring though.

[​IMG]

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I would build something like this, with out the spare..........................

Attached Files:

14. This is a cool hot rod. And fenders and the stock top don't make it any less so. This is a car you can have fun with!

[​IMG]

15. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

^^^^ thank you, that means a lot ^^^^. Had fun building it, even more fun driving it. It is probably the least expensive car I built , but definitely a favorite.

16. fulltimeforester

fulltimeforester
    from california

I have one, overdrive will make it more drivable. I've seen Borg Warner O D's for sale on
    here. They work well. There is also Mitchel O D, a little pricey for me. I have a Borg Warner T5 in my pickup...I like it. Should do 60 mph with any one of these

17. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

18. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Wow...thanks man! Great Photoshop work.

19. Nice Photoshop job, but, sorry, it's not an improvement.

20. jackalope

jackalope

Shane,

Very nice car you have there...Literally! I'm glad you found a car to work on with your son. I vaguely recall you mentioning this over on the OFN. I haven't been there or any forum for a couple years. I got back into building yours is MINT example compared to mine.

I would struggle cutting that beauty up BUT, depending on what YOU want, you may be able to recoup a considerable amount of money on parts that you could sell to someone who really needs something showroom quality.

Those fenders come to mind but totally your call obviously.

IF you really do decide to go the chop and hot rod route, I would sell everything except the body (sell fenders too). Buy a 32 frame with a 4 link and then start cutting:eek:.... THEN, find yourself a solid powerplant of your choice (Big Block Chevy or Hemi would be cool).

First cut is always the hardest:D After that it is full steam ahead.

Grant

21. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Nobody panic!

I don't plan on molesting this car, no cutting, nothing permanent. Wheels and brakes are my list I think.....just need some ideas.

22. meteor500

meteor500

maybe some 35 wires and wide whites..juice brakes..a t5 trans swap..but its so nice as is,why not trade it for a rodded one..guys want to preserve cars built by customizers,why not preserve an honest to goodness henry ford creation..if people expect others to have respect for the great customizers,we should have respect for great cars as they are.There are still lots of solid a's needing redoing as opposed to few near mint ones..i bet someone with a rodded a would jump at a nice one like that,have fun,mark.

23. Glad to hear that. HRP

24. 05snopro440

05snopro440

That's a great decision. After seeing yours and some of the other photos that were posted to this thread, I'm kicking myself for not buying a running driving 29 roadster pickup this fall. That's a gorgeous car, sort the ride height and tires and it will look awesome. I would convert to juice brakes though.

25. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

'35 wires. '40 brakes, steering box from ez-steer and hop up that banger til it gives you 80hp or more. Drop the front axle (no catalogue axles) and reverse the main leaves front and back.

26. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

32 front axle and brakes, reversed eye springs front and rear. Maybe a couple of rear leaves out of spring. 35 wires with big and littles, F1 steering gear. I'd stay away from the EZ-Steer, they are not what they claim lots of problems. High Compression head touring cam downdraft carb, 12 volt electrical system halogen headlights, LED tail lights with directionals. It's too nice to cut up. Just my Opinion. Good Luck

27. Be sure to read the comments on ez-steer in the archives before you buy one.

Charlie Stephens

28. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Huge thanks to 3SPD!

Gimme some feedback guys! Do you like this look?

[​IMG]

29. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I would do black 16" wheels with 40 deluxe caps and rings with no whitewalls.

30. jackalope

jackalope

I'll roger that! The red and white don't go but a simple change like that would do it right!