Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sending unit for exposed bed mount aluminum or stainless tank?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tlmartin84, Dec 15, 2013.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I plan to place my tank in the bed of my truck behind the cab.

Either aluminum, stainless, or possibly painted steel with bungs welded in the sides to attach the bedsides to. Essentially being the front bed panel. I want to use a pop up filler for a nice clean look but I am not sure what to do for a sending unit.

Any ideas? Is there anything on the market that can be hidden in the tank? Or has a really clean install???

2. squirrel

squirrel

My guess is the tank will be so big that you won't need to worry much about fuel level very often? Should be easy to peek in to see how it's doing every now and then.

3. metal man

metal man

Use a sending unit from the same manufacturer as your guages. It seems unlikely, but sometimes if you mix them up, for example use Classic Instruments guages with a Stewart Warner sending unit, The guage can read incorrectly.

If you're worried about the appearance, why not just make a simple cover for it?

4. You can use the old fashion gas gauge,:D HRP

[​IMG]

5. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

A cover will work but only as a last resort. I was hoping to find some type of a universal side mount unit or something similar that could be mounted between the cab and bed and out of site.

6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Now that's cool!

7. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Mooneyes makes the bungs and has the senders for their larger tanks
    take a look at their website: mooneyesusa.com

8. go oldschool, put a bung at the top and bottom on one end with a piece of clear tube between them and make a visual gauge.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That clear tube "gauge" would be a serious safety violation on most anyone's car.

10. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Just a suggestion. Here's how I mounted my Tanks Inc unit in my RPU. Completely below the deck with a traditional side filler . I will have a flat wood deck with no holes at all.

Attached Files:

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I have used these float level switches before and just a dash light. When the dash light flickers, start thinking about gas, When light stays on, look for gas.

[​IMG]

12. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

not sure if it helps mine is sending unit out of a harley davidson bike to SW gage

Attached Files:

13. I like this idea, placed down on the side of the tank, it would be unnoticeable. I can remember running out of gas with a VW beetle, reaching over with your toe, flipping the lever and having the engine come back to life. It would only do that once though, second time you ran out, you walked! LOL
    I had a pick-up that I drove for years without a working gas gauge, I used the trip odometer and filled at 200 miles, never ran out once in all the time I had it.

14. metal man

metal man

I drove my '40 for 15 years without a fuel gauge (or a speedometer ). It's had one now for about the last ten years, but I think it may be the only vehicle I have had that I never ran out of gas in.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. adam401

adam401

yardstick. don't overthink it