Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need a second opinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaner's74, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

GOOD!!! call me crazy but i like to adjust my lifters after the engine is hot and while it's running others will say it a waste of time i'm sure (to those:p)

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yes, the valves were adjusted a little too tight so they were not closing fully = no compression in a few cylinders = wouldn't start.

3. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Better to catch it now than after a few miles...exhaust gasses can cut thru stuff just like steam...

Im still not done bustin his balls yet though, just trying to find a way to do it in good taste...:p

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm using Morels(hyd roller) in the 383 I'm building now. They are really nice but they set up a bit different. They come from the factory filled with some type of light oil. I put them all in and tightened the lash up to squeeze out the oil they were shipped with. Then I soaked them in a good 10W30 oil then set lash as directed.

5. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Hmm, light oil.... sounds like my honing tank oil....or grinding fluid...

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D RE: DDCoopman.Just saw the thumbnail that you posted.I just about choked on my iced tea.That is a spittin image of a sweet old kitty that we had about 10 years ago.Right down to the expression.Thanks for the memories.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

aonemarine goes to the head of the class and gets a gold star on his forehead from Miss McGillicuddy....along with Olderchild, tjet, telekenfun and Rusco. (hope I didn't miss anyone) And lots of good input from 31Vicky with a hemi and others. But I think aonemarine was the first to say "pumped up lifters." (pg. 2) Sounds like Vicky's method of pre-pumping the lifters before installation is plenty worth the time and effort.

Glad ya got 'er straightened out, Shaner's74!

Again...I learned (and re-learned) some stuff here.
    Good one, guys. As usual, the Hamb rocks and rolls.

Class dismissed. Next week, we'll study intermittent loss of spark. :D

8. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I've pre-soaked and pre-pumped new lifters in a coffee can forever in the past. Can't remember who taught me that. Good advice, anyhow. DD

9. Shaner's74

Shaner's74

I presoaked and pumped up the lifters on this engine.

10. I still want to know how you are checking the timing without it running ? If you are pointing the rotor at number one and hope you are in the ball park then I can live with that.

11. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

I replaced a countless number of camshafts and lifters in all of the different Chevrolet engines when I worked as a mechanic at two different Chevrolet dealerships. I popped open a can of GM EOS and coated the camshaft and lifters and in the engine they went. When adjusting the lifters I rotated the engine to TDC #1 and static adjusted the lifters on IN 1257 and EX 1348. I rotated each push rod with my thumb and fore finger in order to detect zero lash. The spring in the lifter will prevent rotation. After completing that phase I rotated the engine 1 full turn clockwise and adjusted the remaining lifters using the same technique. After completing the second phase I went down each bank and tightened the adjusting nuts down a half of a turn. I prided myself in building an engine that would start and run as it was assembled. The lifter clatter was barely detectable. That is very common behavior amongst engine builders because an engines first few second can effect the engines overall life expectancy.

12. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

:cool:
    happy holidays

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  13. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Have you ever hooked your battery up ass backwards ? If you had , and tried to crank it over , then you have fried your msd box right awAy , just asking !

14. I really have no idea besides guesses.
    But Something went wrong for you here.

Like I said before is not mysticism, it's methods
    The compression test method you originally chose to use led you and the thread on a different path than it should have. Eventually it found its way but took the long way home. Sometimes the scenery is nice.

15. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

LOL no, I have reverse rotation starters......:D

16. This method is fantastic with the following caveats
    1 You are certain the lifters are quality units
    2 you get paid by the piece to put the egnine together once , and by the hour if there's a problem.

Since the influx of shit for lifters I can't see myself ever doing it this way again.

17. Shaner's74

Shaner's74

Exactly. That is the only way to set initial timing. Once it's up and running you can put the timing light on it.

18. Shaner's74

Shaner's74

Who?

19. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

FWIW, I always use Johnson lifters, but they are not cheap. I think they are the only US made lifter. For my hemi I was quoted 12 ea for hyd flat tappet

http://johnsonlifters.com/Products.aspx

I've also used Crower Camsavers too

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...rower-camsaver-hydraulic-lifters?autoview=SKU

One more thing: I never soak them. Put them in empty & check oil flow thru the pushrods during the pre-lube procedure

Anyway - glad ypu got it running (cheers)

20. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

I could use some johnson lifters too anymore

21. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

It' soooo easy to get lost while adjusting lifters(for me any hoo:eek:), ah lets see i just did #3 intake dah didn't i, ah shit here we go again,back to square one:mad: I'm easily distracted and it a curse

22. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

LOL..... "Paint marker" :D

23. Me too
    the phone rings- the pizza guy shows up, the neighbor stops by to BS, the old lady wants to play grab ass, the dogs gotta go Pee , you gotta Pee, assembly lube tube got clogged, the cut you got yesterday starts bleeding again, and you can't find the damn paint marker.

24. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJsnR-KDbFc

25. Static timing is my guess. HRP

26. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  27. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio