Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 ford sway bars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sweetdick2, Dec 13, 2013.

1. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

looking for sway bars for my 55 ford wagon, the stock one is like a strand of spaghetti, anybody?

2. I know somebody was making aftermarket front sway bars. Also I believe the the 56 wagon if I'm not mistaken has the bigger diameter sway bar.

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Look up Southwest Thunderbirds in Texas.... they may have the kit you need.

4. I don't know about the '55 Fords but the '54 Wagon's sway bar measures 15/16". HRP

5. Mark T

Mark T

Fuzzy Knight here on the Hamb posted this a few years ago;

"On my 53 I used a big Ford station wagon one in the front, had to make brackets, and used a 80s T bird one in the back"

I sent him a private message and asked him for more information and this is what he had to say;

Mark it was soooooooooooo easy. I took the brackets that mounted the bar to the rear axel from the donar car. The bar itself had rubber eyes with a sleeve that went sideways not up and down. After mounting it in the car I looked for a spot to mount the uplinks and lo and behold there was a factory hole in the frame right above the end of the bar. I tapped the hole With 5/16 fine thread, I think, and went and got me a 2 5/16 male Heim joints and 2 Female Heim joints. And just as lucky would have it they were the proper length when screwed together. Put a bolt through the top and bottom with a lock nut on the bottom bolt that goes through the sway bar and I was done!!!

Should also work on the '55 and '56 Fords.

You can also buy them new from a few different suppliers.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Some have adapted later model T-Bird sway bars,get your butt out to your local Pick-A-Part armed with a tape measure and "Git 'Er Done"!

7. You want to be careful about axle-mounted rear sway bars. I installed a Addco rear bar years ago on a Montego with a 9" rear and the bar would bend the axle housing under hard cornering, killing the axle bearings. Had the housing straightened twice by Art Morrison, took quite a while to figure this one out...

It's best to mount the bar to the frame, then drop the links to the axle, as close to spring/suspension points as you can.

8. I have been wanting sway bars but I'm not sure how this would work with my car laying frame on air ride.

9. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

THanks guys this gives me something to work with

10. Check out a 56 Ford wagon sway bar- forgot the exact dimensions but was bigger then the stock one on my 56 Victoria

11. Exactly!

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I thought the wagons had larger sway bars then the sedans,the 50s Olds had front and rear sway bars so I am going to grab a rear sway bar from one and see if I can make it work on my 55 convertible.

13. I was told the 56 wagon had the larger sway bar.

14. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

FWIW

Addco makes 'em front & rear. It may involve kits they make for '55-'57 T Birds. Give 'em a call.

Putting poly bushings (frame mounts and end links) is about like going to larger sway bars. No rubber to compress before the bars come into action. I use poly on shock studs too.

Addco says you get 70% of your control from the rear. A rear bar makes a dramatic improvement in handling. All cop cars have sway bars on both ends.

15. Mark T

Mark T

I thought that the '55 and '56 wagons both had the heavier front sway bar.

16. Well from what I was told (by an old ford guy) that only one of those years had the bigger sway bar.

17. thunderplex

thunderplex

Bttt

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!