Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bigchambo84

bigchambo84

Here is a set of mallets I made for myself.

Attached Files:

Rastus likes this.
  2. Anybody ever made a slip roll? Like 4 foot or so? I was wondering if drive shafts would work for the rollers.....or would they be strong enough?

3. rodl

rodl

Nice work there buddy! If you can work sheet metal as well as you use a wood lathe, you're well ahead of the game:) RodL

4. 97

No they will bend/deflect too easily, used spears from hydraulic rams will work though.
    often they are thrown out because part of the hard chrome is worn away , usually near one end, so get three five foot ones and cut them down. You need some extra length to machine for gears , bearings and an extension for the crank anyway. Use old gears from a diff or a gearbox.

5. On the home made slip roll. The hydraulic ram shafts are very hard. You can machine them but the chips will be very blue and hot and hard on your lathe bits. I made a end for a enerpac ram out of one. It is doable though. Steve

6. salf100

salf100

My contribution so far. Wanted a welding cart that could also hold my tool chest. Not done yet but made some progress today. It's mostly stainless steel repurposed from an industrial milk cart I had, that's used on delivery trucks.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385690023.772262.jpg

From my teletype.

7. Fred D

Fred D
    from Houston

Have been wanting to secure up the base on my grinder. My father built it many years ago. It had a 3/16 plate for a base with 4 holes to mount to the floor. I wanted to use a dually wheel to add weight to the base

My 8 year old AKA rockstar sandblasted the wheel and I used the torch to make the square plate round. Welded the plate to the wheel and rockstar painted it flat black

A nice project to work on together

Attached Files:

ConceptVehicleDesign likes this.
  8. Fab table. 6"x5/8" steel plates.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Need to get some heavy duty drawer slides:
    [​IMG]
    A closeup of the sliding clamp "pucks" as I call them. They are drilled 3/8"-16 on one side, and 1/2"-13 on the other. I got a piece of 2"x1/2" flatbar, drilled and threaded it for a stud, and tacked a toggle clamp on there to see how well it works. Sure would be nice if I could find cheap toggle clamps with a stud mount!
    [​IMG]

9. Not bad for 8 years old. Might be a good time to teach him to use the grinder as well.

10. Keep

Keep

Those all from one bat? Look very nice.

11. Skidder

Skidder

Very Nice Fab table, I can see you getting a lot of use from it.

12. bjinatj

bjinatj

Very nice!

13. Fred D

Fred D
    from Houston

One day we spent the day learning tools

The 4" grinder was one of them. He was really freaked about the sparks. I showed him how you could feel the sparks, but they didn't really hurt his hand

We talked at depth about safety and protective eyewear

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Fred,
    Happy you are teaching 8 year old about safety, He will enjoy the hobby more.

Ago

15. Don't forget the earplugs.

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Huh? :p

17. Here is what I managed to scrape up with some leftover junk from my stash,Oshkosh Firetruck brake drum, Crankshaft that had been a part of a show car display in the fifties, a Reese receiver bung and a Pintle plate to mount my 8" vice. I can unpin and use my bead roller or sand bag on it as well, being so bottom heavy it is very stable..
    [​IMG]

Dieselcatfish and Ulu like this.
  18. slickshoez

slickshoez

HF has vise grip type clamp with one jaw and a stud. They list it as 9" drill press clamp. I've got a couple at work and they're pretty though.

19. chinese knock off, nice use of a de-sta-co clamp ...i use de-sta-co items all over the shop and great for clamping

20. Do you know where I can get them bulk for cheap?

21. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Take a look at Surplus Center in Nebraska , seemed reasonable to me. Also they have a lot of things that are good for us in the shop and car. Jack

22. elba

elba

I saw ear plugs mentioned above. Story about NOISE: I am 66 and my career was an A&P mechanic for a major airline for 30 yrs. Plus noise with race cars, RC airplanes chain saws and radio noise. I know have tinnitus ( ears ring ) and have lost 50% of my hearing ability. Long story short, I only used ear protection about 10% of that time period and now I wear hearing aids.
    WEAR EAR PROTECION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me, too! Part of it is hereditary but I didn't help it any. I now wear hearing protection to protect what little I have left. <sigh> :(

24. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

^^^^^For the young guys listen to us hard hearing old farts. Use hearing protection, mine are ringing soo-loud right now, do to work and play.Let me restate something, well aged (like wine)guys:D

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I got a personal casted earplugs.The ear canals are like fingerprints,everyone has different ones.
    Those plugs have worked pretty well.Sounds like expensive,but mine were freebie.We use them at work,our company ordered new ones for the employees and instead of throwing the old ones to the trashbin i decided to take them home.
    They are good to use when riding a motorcycle too.:)

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What you say?
    I know what you mean mine ring so loud that cant believe that people standing around me cant hear it .

27. Hearing protection??? your lips are moving but are you whispering ???

I use a chainsaw almost daily and don't have any problems with noise.WTF ??

Really though after concerts at the Grandy Ballroom and also at Harpo's in Detroit my hearing was already pretty much gone.

I now use good Stihl protectors when doing wood planning or routing all of the time to save what I have left.

Movin/on

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I made this wrench to change the spark plugs in my chevelle with headers.
    I started with a 1/2 by 9/16 short offset combination wrench and cut down a 5/8 12 point spark plug socket and welded it to the 9/16 end of the wrench.
    This thing turned into 3 wrenches in one and came in handy to put the alternator belt back on countless time when I tried to get that old Saginaw to shift.

Attached Files:

Ulu likes this.
  29. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

It Took me 2 days to get through this entire thread! Totally worth the read. Awesome ideas!! This kind of thread is exactly what the HAMB is all about. From high tech to low tech this thread covers a lot of tools I didn't know I needed. I am going to have to build a belt sander! Thanks for all the inspiration.