Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lacing metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54pathfinder, Dec 1, 2013.

1. See post 48. What were you expecting???

Funny

2. I cant either, but I can think of designs to roll/stamp into dashes and inserts that would look good. Have to think past the post.

3. willymakeit

willymakeit

I don't know that I would ever use it , but I do appreciate the effort. It might be one of those things that later your left wondering where you had seen it. I like out side the box stuff.

4. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I'm old enough that i had the opportunity to watch my grandmother make her own dolly's, one she used to use starch to make them stiff, two anneal, three glue hard rubber to the roller( not too hard) so that the back side of alum will ride and maybe(maybe)the lace will go deeper -- full of shit and idea's:D

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its cool! There are tons of applications ..use a little imagination fer christsake!

6. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Willymakeit, lace can be just outside the box!:rolleyes:

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

54pathfinder.........You think that will work with "O" condition alloys, (2024, 7075, 6061) ?

We have 1000 ton Hydro-Press here at work, for forming aluminum parts........I do know that if you leave a label on your aluminum, on the side away from the pressure, it will imprint quite nicely, the little rectangular label!

It looks kinda' neat, as you are tossing the part in the scrap bin..........

8. Interesting idea but I think its 40 years too late. The 1970s is when everyone was putting lace patterns on their cars.;)

9. Yea, who would want to use old ideas and styles anyway, on the HAMB? :D

10. 54pathfinder

54pathfinder
    from canada

That is exactly how I discovered this! The little stickers! Yes any "O" condition will take a good print. Avoid 7075 but yes t3 and 5052 or 6061 will mush right in.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I'll give it a whirl next time we crank her up!

12. wsdad

wsdad

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  13. 54pathfinder

54pathfinder
    from canada

Yeah! The whole point if this post to begin with was to throw this obscure fact out there that aluminum can imprint with fabric. I know that there are visionary guys who can run with this and create a whole new type of look with this. I believe in this open source thing because together we are way smarter than we are alone you know? There is an optimal approach to this and it should render a large piece of perfectly imprinted aluminum. My neighbour does all our club patches on her 6000$ sewing machine. She can also produce totally custom lace. Think about it for a second. Lace painting the hood with our custom lace and then having the dash tricked out with the same pattern embossed in metal! It'll blow people's minds! That's where I want this to go, so let's all give it a whirl an find the best way.

14. modeleh

modeleh

I'm also not sure where the lacey aluminum would look good on a car. But your concept is pretty cool and definitely thinking outside the box.
    Perhaps you could try some Corduroy, to put a bunch of small pleats in the aluminum, maybe you might get a look sort of like the fluted headlight lenses of the 20s cars, which might suit the style of our old cars better than grandmothers doilies.

15. willymakeit

willymakeit

Naughty

16. 54pathfinder

54pathfinder
    from canada

Yes...... Anyway, to help those who need a visual reminder of why lace would be "ok" ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387058850.474896.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387058859.864192.jpg

So....... It would be I think nice to use the same pattern in metal for an artistic effect on the dash. Not on a muscle car, not on a PT cruiser, not on a AMC, or a 2013 RubberMaid, but a nice fifties chevy or Pontiac or a shoebox.

17. 54pathfinder

54pathfinder
    from canada

PS: or anything else that holds up to this kind of thing

18. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Dashboards are an obvious place, maybe some replacement trim between the tail lights, a shifter console, imprint the lace pattern and then roll it to form new interior window trim... maybe a panel to go between 2 exterior pieces of trim like on the rear fender of a 57 Chevy.... I feel the love...hell, I think I can still smell it on this lace...

19. I've often toyed with the idea of using flat aluminum panels for my truck interior and this may be a way to get away from too much of a competition look. I wouldn't want compete panels covered with the design, just corners, areas around door pulls and handles, things like that.
    If you don't like lace, how about cutting whatever pattern you like (flames skulls, logos, etc.) out of thin card stock and embossing with that? I saw someone that carefully cut flames out of card stock, saving both pieces then taping one piece on the front and the other piece on the back of a panel, then used an english wheel to press the design into the aluminum. I think using a slip roll would be easier.

20. 54pathfinder

54pathfinder
    from canada

Brilliant idea, crown rollers are nice but they will give a shape to your panel. Even if it's very subtle. A slip roller is better as long as the back roller is kept down so it doesn't curve the metal (unless that's desired) keep it coming!

21. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Have you tried any of good ideas yet???

22. 54pathfinder

54pathfinder
    from canada

I will

23. GenuineQualityco

GenuineQualityco
    from buffalo

You can do the same with annealed copper and brass. If you want to know more about metal forming look into jewelry/metalsmith metal forming book. Your head will explode.