Register now to get rid of these ads!

splitting bones w/o using bungs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judgeyoung, Feb 19, 2013.

1. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

So you think im ok then?

Also,those bones you posted look real nice.You think i should add that cone bung thingy like on you're bones?did you make those?

2. I used the tie rod from a 74 Power Wagon, cut 6" from each end and welded them into the bones and used the tie rod ends. The rod was the perfect diameter to press into bone and plug welded it in 4 spots.
    Lee

3. Beau

Beau

They are not mine. I have wishbones front and rear.

If I were going to split it, I would use the stock Model A style ends. They are rebuildable. I know one of the guys in the club uses them on all of his builds.

4. I agree with frank here. Remember when the older fellas starting doing this you couldn't drop a check to speedy bill for a bung.

5. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

ImageUploadedByTJJ1361417507.442926.jpg

Heres the way I've been doing them...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. alchemy

alchemy

I think the concept of this mod may be okay with proper materials, but those original Ford tie rods are thin walled. See the plug in the end? You really need a solid threaded stub to weld into that split wishbone.

7. chop32

chop32

This is how I did mine. I drilled out the threads of a Speedway bung and slipped the end section of an aftermarket (solid) Model A tie rod thru it and welded at both sides of the bung.