Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hamb Friendly car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Dec 14, 2013.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Thinking about building a 63 falcon. The current owner has already installed motor mounts for a ford FE motor, and a mustang 2 front with 2 inch drop spindles, and ford 9 rear... Also opinions on the motor for it?

Also think I should? It will only be a for profit build (raising money for my sons heart surgery in july)

Will be buying the car for 500 if I decide to get it

Attached Files:

• a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
    • a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      41.8 KB
      Views:
    • a3.jpg
      a3.jpg
      File size:
      41.8 KB
      Views:
  2. adam401

adam401

If it's actually for profit I say no. If it's for a project car to tinker with then have fun. There is zero profit potential sitting there. Flip a honda

3. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

I don't know your level of expertise, how much time and money you want to put into it, and what your expectations are for a selling price, but I see a lot of rot in the rear quarters (time consuming), a pretty rough interior, no motor, no mention of a tranny, and I'm pretty sure that you'll need a million small things like most project cars do, and those things tend to suck up money VERY quickly. It would help if you told us what level you wanted to take the car, and what you wanted to sell it for.

Rarely have I ever made money on any of my cars (not that I was trying to), and in this part of the country (Northeast), the same cars keep popping up on Craig's List, so it doesn't appear as if a lot of cars are moving.

Again, without knowing what your exact plans are, it's tough to say, but based on my experience, you effort would probably be better directed elsewhere.

Chris

4. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Ok here is the level of my expertise... In 6 weeks working in my spare time I turned this 64 truck from something ready for the smelter to what you see... Spent 2-2500 on it and made a total of $5500. So I did pretty good on that truck... I just have no idea what a "resto mod" falcon would go for. I would probably put a 360/390 ford in it with a c6 since they are cheap and plentiful here. 14 inch Cragar wheels and tires (already have a set sitting around).

Hmm... Im thinking of this car, a 65 mustang 289 car, and a 67 ranger that runs and drives... All roughly the same price...

Attached Files:

5. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

It's a cool car and I like the FE direction the owner was going in. But I have to agree with the others.

FE motors are not cheap to build either so if you do this your best bet would be to find a donor car with a running FE and transmission you could use. That would probably fall in the $1000 range right there.

Seems like a lot of time, money and effort just to flip it. Kind of a gamble.

What would you envision selling it for after all of your work?

6. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Just read your last post and see you have the skills to pay the bills.

Guess I'd be tempted to do the Mustang project. Parts will be readily available and cheap. Plus they seem to always have people ready to buy them with cash in hand.

7. I like Falcons,but they are not for everyone.

Having said that,there is a market for them and they are a good entry level car that is considered hamb friendly. HRP

8. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Good luck and god bless on your sons surgery, nice work on the gm p.u. Falcons are an "nich" car ,not what everybody has and maybe most want? If you don't see any for sale for a long time in your region maybe it's a gap in the market you could fill.....keep on truckin!

9. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I think if I could sell the car finished at around 8-9k it would make it worth it... Would take the car to spring Tom Mack auction. Either 1 that I built... The mustang is missing its entire interior, little rust, engine is locked up, tranny fluid is black... I figure around 4k in parts to fix it... I think the only way to make monney on that mustang is to do a full custom build, but thats a BIG risk...

10. i'm with Adam on this one flip a newer small make more money and will sell faster it's a fact of life a kid I know does this and paints them with latex paint that peels off when you get tried of it

11. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I WILL NOT FLIP A HONDA.... If i buy one its going to the crusher...

12. crowen57

crowen57

Sounds like a good deal if it already has a 9" and M2 front.
    Looks like you definitely have the ability to pull it off!

13. how much can you make on that Falcon just flipping it as is , it's got to be worth more than $500...or am i wrong? could you part it out for more than that?

14. If I wanted to raise money for my sons heart surgery, I wouldn't be trying to flip cars. I would go for a more sure thing like a 2nd part-time job!

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I also agree that Falcons are not as popular as say a Mustang or Camaro, but to those who really like them they seem to have a loyal following. Early Falcons don't seem to get huge money compared to some later muscle cars, but I don't think your $8k-9k price is out of reach. If the other rear 1/4 is as bad as the driver's side it looks like a fair amount of sheetmetal and work will be involved, but it also looks like you've got the talent to do it.
    I'd probably want to pay more for the car I started with, and not have so much in parts and labor, but my bodywork abilities are lacking.

16. Around here the best way to raise money for a cause would be to have a raffle for the car as is. $5.00 a ticket times 1000 or 1500 people and you've got 5000 to 7500 dollars with no risk. Put up raffle stations at local stores and hit all the car shows. I wouldn't think twice about throwing $ 20.00 for four chances to win a project like that. Talk to Ryan, maybe it could be done here on the HAMB. If I'm out of line with that idea the mods can delete my post. Just a thought.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  17. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Work work work. Its all i do. I work from 8-5 at my shop sunday-friday, than 530-9 at local parts store monday-friday and every other saturday 8-4...
    so a couple grand on some side jobs really helps out....

I wonder if ryan would let me do that... Ill message him, or if your looking at this let me know.

18. Go for it, you have the skills. Thoughts going out for your son.

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'd go for the 67 Ranger. Trucks will sell when cars won't, and the Ranger is not only sought after, they are hard to find, which = $$$. Everybody needs a truck.

20. I think the Mustang will garnish the most profit potential. However, don't discount the potential of the Falcon, either. I'd ditch the FE plans and swap the mounts to pop in a 302. Easier to find, cheaper to buy and/or rebuild, and probably equal in profit potential. Then, maybe paint it up like a pseudo drag car from back in the day. Doesn't have to run 10 seconds, but if it's a good running street car that looks the part of an old gasser or pro stocker, cars like that go for stupid money on ebay.

21. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I have bought sold 50+ falcons over the years. A very limited market. Sedans just don't bring the money. Now I only buy hardtops, converts, 2 dr wagons, and rancheros. My 2 cents....

22. luckystiff

luckystiff

apparently you're in my neck of nc as me and a coupla other people i know have looked at that car also. it's rough but buildable.

with that said if the 67 you know of is fairly decent it's probably a better flip than the falcon. those trucks move pretty easy in this area. trust me i know i was looking for one for a while and every time a good deal on one popped up it was gone pretty quick. the not so good ones and or overpriced ones stick around for a while but thats expected.

the 67 with a quick jag or crown vic front swap and good runner would probably be an easy flip. i'd probably go jag and grab that 460/c6 thats been on c'list in lenoir for a while and throw in it....ken....

23. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Ya Im up in Boone, the ranger already has a 460, I live about a 1/4 mile from that falcon if you want anymore info on it. LOL

24. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Hello from the rainy NW!

I have family near you in Avery County, but most have moved to the Bristol area years ago.

Hope everything works out for your Son and sounds like a great way to raise money!

As far as the Falcon: I like them, but hard to sell in my experience and go for a fraction of Mustang money. My buddy just bought a nice low mileage '61 sedan for just over a Grand. It's a 50 footer, Runs good and it's all there!

I flip cars. Started when I was 14. I buy what sells and do a quick flip from time to time to put money in my "Car Fund".

Sounds like you know what you are doing. Go for what's popular unless you have a ton of Falcon parts.

Mustangs ALWAYS sell. Especially a V-8. They rust like nothing else, but are cheap and easy to work on. I just flipped a '66 recently and was surprised to find out that parts prices have gone DOWN over the years on '65-70 Mustangs! My parts bill was under $500 to fix leaky cowl vent, rebuild the heater, window rollers, mechanical parts and some trim pieces. I did OK on that one (LOL). Sold in a week for more than I wanted. It was a '66 with a newer 302, pony interior and beautiful floors. I never painted it, sold as is. I do have a small stash of Mustang/Falcon/Ford parts from past projects which helps keep costs down.

The Ranger truck is a really good one too. Nothing to those old trucks, easy to get parts and boy do they sell!!!!!!

If you can swing it, buy the Mustang and the Ranger. Fix the easier one up first... then put it up for sale fast while you work on the other one. Finish the other one up with the money and sell it!

Attached Files:

25. servi53

servi53

make it happen, there are many falcon fans

26. Squablow

Squablow

I'm rooting for you, but that seems like a TON of work to make that into a 9K car. If you have to put $3500 and 500 hours into it to get $9K, you made 1/3 of the money you would have made working on someone else's car for $30 an hour.

Flipping cars can make money, but in my experience, you want to buy something you can resell basically as-is, maybe with a good hard weekend or two of "fluff time". Full-on builds are rarely money makers, unless your time is basically free.

27. Veach

Veach

My two cents take a real long look at a 8-11K Falcon then ask yourself can I do that if the answer is Yes. Then ask yourself do I have 5K to put into it if the answer is Yes. Then ask yourself how long is it going to take me take that answer and times it by two. Now remember your only going to make 3K on it and that's on a good day and if you can get it done under 5K.Do yourself and you Son a favor and think this all the way through. I vote a 2nd Job if you can find one because unless you have already made a name for yourself it's hard to make a buck on one car

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2, bit of a WAG without photos, but if you are looking to flip for a profit, the Mustang would be a much better bet, IMO.