Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do these motor mounts look?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Dec 13, 2013.

1. evintho

evintho

This is my first try at building motor mounts and am looking for advice. Will this work? 2" square tube welded directly to the inner rail. I feel like I need some sort of gussets but really nowhere to put them. The car is set at ride height and the motor is in position. I was thinking something coming off of the top and side of the rail but that would look completely funky!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey . they look ok . lets see em welded , maybe a gusset or two would work as well....

3. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

You can do better than that...break out the card board and start making templates...

4. Hope the square plate is just mockup. Past that, that will be fine. A good weld around the tube and a gusset wont be needed. The tubing is its own gussets.

5. Dave 39

Dave 39

They will be fine. I know you're going to do something to tidy up that piece of 1/4'' plate' but other than that your good. Dave

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that square plate needs some trimming to look good.

That setup should function better than just running the tube straight out from the frame rail like we see all the time.

7. Those will be fine, I did something similar on my t-bucket and lots of abuse later no problems. The only difference is that have part of my tubing on the top of the frame rail as well as on the sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  8. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Ok Ive had a few beers now so im letting it out....That form follows functiion shit, yea they function... but you can take the measurements from them and sculpt out something that doesnt look like a stick welded to the frame. I guess it depends on what you want. if looks arent that important then go for it. But the little things and time well spent make winners...

9. cbillelder

cbillelder

The only thing I might suggest if your frame rails are tall enough is to turn the mount tubing 90 degrees so the wide dimension is vertical instead of horizontal. All your weight
    and forces are in the vertical direction so you would want the widest section going up and down.
    Good luck.

Ooops, sorry, I see now that your are using square tubing. Your first picture kind of threw me off. I thought you were using rectangular tubing. Never mind.

10. evintho

evintho

Well, sounds like they'll work! Thanks for all the input! I'll either trim the plate round and flush with the rubber biscuit or trim it 1/4" wider than the biscuit. Nothing fancy. It's a basic hot rod.

11. My thoughts exactly! Drill some 2" holes in the tube tho

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think they'll work fine. I probably would have used rectangle tube instead of square, so the tube could be notched at 90 degrees and have part of it sitting on top of the frame for extra strength, but I tend to get carried away with mounts.
    I'd also think some "lightening holes" would make it look neat, but a nice clean, smooth mount isn't ugly.

13. evintho

evintho

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?