Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Sedan, what would you do..... photoshop help please?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BAILEIGH INC, Dec 13, 2013.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I just picked up my first model A! My son Justis and I cant wait till' summer. Looking for some help with a vision or direction to go with this.

Not ready or really interested in chopping it up, it is in near mint condition.

Just looking for some simple things to make it "ours" for our first summer if you know what I mean. Not sure what we want to do.....can you guys help us out?

Chime in and let me know "what would you do?"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. gmcman52

gmcman52

I'd put on 16 inch wire wheels with big and little tires and drive the sh__ out of it

3. The car really looks good! Very clean and straight. If you are content with the driveability, relating to the mechanical brakes and 4 banger then just lower it a little and maybe put some V8 wires of steelies on it until you complete your long term plan. Its really sharp and would be cool enough to cruise around in anyway. Tim

4. Sorry, I like it just as is. Drive it!

5. toml24

toml24

Please never chop that car. Drive and enjoy it.

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Drive it. ;)

If you feel you need to do something, maybe change wheels. I have something similar and I have solid rims with somewhere in the 40's hubcaps and trim rings. I have 7.00 X 16 in back and 4.50/5.00 X 16 in front. If I did it again, maybe not go quite so small in front.

Then I reversed the front spring to drop it alittle, removed some leaves in back. It still is far from low.

Now I just drive it.

Neal

7. gonzo

gonzo

No photo shop needed, just do this! DONE!

[​IMG]

8. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

wheels, tires and a drop axle?

9. Yep, just lower it, 16 inch wires, maybe something to the engine to make it safe in todays traffic and drive.......

10. I agree! Replicate that!

11. Differently don't chop that body up as it is to darn nice. I agree with most here, change the wheels , tyres and sort the ride height a wee bit and then you and your Son enjoy driving it for awhile. I do like the picture of the black Tudor too as it looks like a Hot Rod without trying.

12. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

Oh, yeah, the black one in the picture, although I am all for modern driveline. A modern 4-cyl or V6 with OD trans makes it superior driver if it gets out much or for real drives. (yeah, yeah, someone has survived one maybe, but newer stuff is more reliable) and... Better brakes should be mandatory.
    My first car with brother was a '30 sedan when he was 14, I was 12.
    COOL, man, enjoy!
    hrt

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

In my financial situation, I'd swap it for a hot rod. If I was of wealth and fame, I'd still hot rod it. There's enough stock cars running around, that no one will forget what they look like. I'm also thinking the novelty of driving around at a blistering 45 MPH would wear off quickly.

14. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Ive had it up to 50 :cool:

15. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

lose the fenders, put it on a 32 frame with a 283 in it............or just drive it in parades the way it is:rolleyes:

16. Well, quit riddin' the clutch!

17. southerncad

southerncad

Either drive the wheels off of it, or sell it to me:):):)

18. ssimpala

ssimpala

The pictures make it appear to be a very nice start to a hotrod. Of course, you know the rest...frame, V8, etc. :)

19. I like the car. Wash it, change the oil and drive it. Remember the advice "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Go slow with the changes. A right hand tail light, turn signals and seat belts might be nice. You can coax a few more horsepower with a high compression head and Model B carburetor. A set of bent spoke Kelsey wheels (any color but black) might change the appearance a little.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  20. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

That's what I would do. Congrats on the sedan!!

21. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

^^^ X4 plus brakes. You can enjoy this and take your time on the elusive hot rod coupe.

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If your interested in making a real project out of it (and teach your boy the ins and outs of hot rodding) Buy the book by Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel "How to Build A Traditional Ford Hot Rod" and build yourself a car that will be more fun than the law allows and do it by not ruining the value of the car.

Frank

BTW, when finished it should look a lot like the black one everyone is commenting about, '35 wires w/7.00-7.50X16's in the rear and 5.00-5.50X 16's in the front.:)

23. river1

river1

If memory serves me correctly, Mike Bishop wrote an article for American Rodder where he built an A into a HOT ROD in a no weld easily reversable way

That is the way i'd build it

If I remember i'll find the issue and post it here

later jim

24. all right, here is my input.

I bought a stock A pickup on February 15, 2013. I'll highlight what I did.

[​IMG]

First thing I would do is all the little maintenance stuff. Grease the chassis. Check the gear oil levels. Adjust the brakes. get is working well in stock form.

after doing all that, I would rip all the stock off it. Bumber, horn whatever you think will help clean it up. If it doesn't bother you. skip this step. I also decided to change out my lights. Guide 682c front and 37 ford rear.

Next I would look for a set of v8 wheels. I went with a set of 5.50x16 front and 7.50x17 rear. You can go a little bigger in front if that is the look you prefer. Pretty much any of the normal tire sizes will work and look good. Same thing in the rear.

[​IMG]

While I was changing up the tires I would install reverse eye springs front and rear. Probably would pull a couple leaves in the rear as well.

if you want to get crazy a dropped front axle is great too. This is a dropped axle and reverse eye springs front and rear with only 6 leaves in the rear. This will require some brake mods.

[​IMG]

I am also adding a high compression head, a camshaft, downdraft carb, etc. and a 39 toploader trans for the synchros...

all of this stuff is a bolt on. No major mods to the car. It can all be changed back.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  25. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. If your son has as much pleasure out of the "A" that mine does out of his, it's all cool.:D
    I like your "A" as it is , perhaps smaller wheels etc that has been suggested.
    My son (Dave) wanted to go a little more down the early looking route.

<O:p[​IMG]</O:p>
    <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:pDave's "A" Sedan with my "T" Coupe, ready to play!!:)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789981

You have a real nice car to start with, enjoy.:)

27. [​IMG]

Bingo!,,I'll add to convert it over to juice brakes. HRP

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I like this...

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

47-48 Ford 15" wheels with 41 hubcaps and beauty rings, big and little tires, RH taillamp and stand, turn signals, seat belts.

30. Dirk35

Dirk35

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387071056.631221.jpg

I would do this.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!