Register now to get rid of these ads!

59 Cadillac 'garage find'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INTMD8, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Coming along nice!

2. boomosby

boomosby

that makesme so excited!!!

3. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

super cool ride ...look forward to seeing it cleaned up

4. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

ya know i don't even care for most caddies, but those are my faves. a 59 vert would be the dream find for me, lucky man.
    goat

5. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Such a cool car...looks like it is cleaning up really well! Keep the updates coming.

6. INTMD8

INTMD8
    from Il.

Thanks guys!!

All the windows worked except for the right rear. I noticed the bottom half of the window frame was broken off and laying in the 1/4 panel. Can't take credit for the idea as I found someone else did something similar online, but made a stainless bracket to hold the 2 pieces together as a temporary fix. All windows working now!

As for the engine, we have all the parts, new pistons/rings/bearings/etc. Block is bored/honed and cyl heads are going back together. Shouldn't be too long, I hope.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. INTMD8

INTMD8
    from Il.

I towed the car down to the shop I work at a few months ago. (It's just been occupying a spot on a lift) And I finally have most of an engine.

Started painting and assembling. Just a standard rebuild. Pistons/rings/bearings. .030 over and block deck was surfaced.

Cylinder heads as mentioned are using LS1 valves, 3 angle valve job with some slight bowl work, lightweight beehive valvesprings/retainers and reground stock cam. New specs are 212/212 @.050 .420 lift. Very mild.

New motor mounts, fuel pump pushrod and lifters.

I'll have to check on my home computer for more pics. May have to get a repair manual as I can't recall how the coolant hose routing goes under the intake or the oil lines to the filter housing. Which by the way, also not sure the specifics of the oiling system on this engine but I imagine only a small portion of the oil is filtered considering the tiny lines in and out of the filter housing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Dyce

Dyce

Very nice. It really gets to be fun when you get close to driving your project car. I've been watching and lovng everything you've done with the car!! It was to nice to tear apart and restore.

9. The oil lines for your filter housing are the port on the top of your block between your oil filler housing and drivers side head should be connected to your filter inlet and the outlet goes to the port on the front of your block.And yes,It's only a partial flow filter system.
    I hope this helps.

10. sololobo

sololobo

Loaded and lovely, that's how I like my cars and my women. Super score brother, thanx for sharing/ ~sololobo~

11. teddyp

teddyp

nothing cooler then a caddy conv. great find

12. robertsregal

robertsregal

Lookin Great, its cleaning up nice!!!!!

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Man this thread makes me happy

14. dehudso

dehudso

It's starting to get nice in Chi-town. How's this coming along?

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tell it! Tell us how it's going!

16. INTMD8

INTMD8
    from Il.

She runs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pk4ncXtFwo

Still working on some odds and ends (most notably the lack of brake pedal) but I took it down the road and it runs nice and smooth.

Once the brakes are sorted I just need to get a back window in it and (hopefully) put as many miles on it as I can this summer :)

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just now found this thread. Way Cool!!!!! Always loved the '59 Cad, and a vert to boot!!!!

18. INTMD8

INTMD8
    from Il.

Well I've been driving the car and it is very nice to cruise around in. I have about 350 miles on the new engine/trans. Running perfect, only pulling down a bit over 13mpg but that's what I expected for this barge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. dehudso

dehudso