Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Studebaker, stepside or styleside?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChampRod, Dec 12, 2013.

1. ChampRod

ChampRod
    from Tucson, AZ

Ok guys, I had a question for all of you. I'm currently in the process of rodding out a '62 Champ pickup. Its got a Ford 300ci and an 8.8 rear end, with a Jaguar XJ6 IFS. The question is, what should I do for the bed? I have a box, but it's that ugly as sin dodge box that Studebaker started using. Should I pony up the time and money to find a step side bed for it? Or should I narrow the bed and tailgate so that it is flush of the cab, or maybe even inside the lines of the bed?

2. studeynut

studeynut

The original stylesides are ugly. I think I'd look at some of the newer pickup stepside beds, something with similar styling.

3. 327Eric

327Eric

A stepside bed looks awesome on that truck. that said, the original styleside bed narrowed to fit would be interesting to see. Definately worth some photoshop work to see the concept at the minimum.

4. 49stude2r6

49stude2r6

Lark Wagon Quater panels made into a styleside bed. I have also seen one with a Ranger (splash?) step side on it. The lines are a little closer to the champ than the original step side IMHO.

5. ChampRod

ChampRod
    from Tucson, AZ

6. 327Eric

327Eric

After looking at the link, I'd say go with the Stude Stepside. Even narrowed the fleetside box is ugly.

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Stepside for sure.

I want a Champ so bad I can taste it and I would do the fleetside but would narrow the bed, section the sides so that the were the same height as the cab and recurve them to match the doors. I'd also like to change the front sheetmetal out for a 64 nose.

Yeah I'm kinda stupid and glutton for punishment. I wouldn't put anyone else thru that though.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  8. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

do a 53 nose! if you are going thru all the trouble anyway. if the dodge bed narrowed and body lines modded, it would be sweet looking. :eek:

9. I saw one with a later Dakota bed on it. Looked pretty decent...

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

In my opinion the Studebaker style side just can't be made to look good. It was a real mismatch when new, and even narrowed it just doesn't flow with the cab lines. The step side would be my first choice, or some step side from a donor truck that looked good.
    I love the idea of using a wagon side on the style side bed, but not sure how common a wagon donor is to find! Length of the wagon 1/4 might also be a big issue, as it's shorter.

11. jroberts

jroberts

I prefer the "step side" bed. I have seen a Ranger "step side" bed on a short wheelbase Champ and it looked very nice.

12. aircap

aircap

In the Stude Club I have seen narrowed beds that looked great, and the Ranger stepside bed looks like it belongs... Both are good choices.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would be looking for a late model box that complements the Champ body. For size it would probably be from a smaller truck like a Ranger or Dakota. You would have to use your own judgement as to what looks best.