Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Larry T

Larry T

Wouldn't a diagonal link turn your box into 2 triangles? I don't think I'd run one on the street, but I'm pretty sure they work on racecars.

A Watts Link would be pretty bullit proof on the street, if you have the room.

2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yes it would there would be no side to side movement. They work fine on the street just need to add a brace to the ladder bar brackets for the extra load. I don't think they look right on an old school gasser but like a lot of other things they are the best way to go.

3. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Quain, do you see any problems with a quarter eliptic set up like this? I'm assuming a panhard or watts link would still be needed.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014
    www.meltdowndrags.com

Attached Files:

4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

No problem at all. As you know most of the high end gasser of the mid 60s had that set up. It will act like a coil spring or a leaf spring with a floater, no housing bind. My next car will have them because they scream old school.

5. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

Mazmanian ran a watts link with quarter eliptics ...

6. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Most ran the springs on the same side of the axle as the ladder bars. Thats why I was wondering if making the front half of the spring a ladder bar would be any worse or better than this style

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014
    www.meltdowndrags.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you run them in front with a shackle mount as shown they'll work fine also. The shackle front or rear is needed with 1/4 eliptics. Your drawing with shackles in the rear looks as good a design as in front with shackles.

8. abone1930

abone1930

What year did rod ends start on ladder bars? When did floaters come into play? Thought about useing some on my leaf springs to keep any bind down.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Rear discs ???

10. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

Sure, why not? Lots of cars ran em. From my 1964 Midwest Auto Specialties Catalog

Attached Files:

11. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

Speaking of rear discs, anybody got a set of brackets and rotors to mount these Hurst Airhearts to a 57 Pontiac rear? :D

Attached Files:

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've not seen any, but they're pretty easy to build. I've cut them out of 3/8" or 1/2" steel plate, and just drill them to match the spacing on the axle flange. O get Speedway weld on brackets and weld them to the tube, then drill to match the Aireheart mounting pattern.
    Rotors will usually be thin for an Airheart, so depending on your bolt pattern for your axles you can find donor rotors from modern cars to fit your pattern. Last ones I did on a Ford pattern used Crown Vic rotors that are about 1/2" thick. If you have small GM pattern, then look at various GM rotors with your bolt pattern.

13. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

Good info 1971BB427. Yeah it's the hats with the 5 on 5" bolt pattern and the correct depth that I really need to find. They show up for sale every so often, but are usually quite pricey. I have been told that the Wilwood setup for 57-64 Olds/Pontiac can be modified to work with my calipers, but I have not looked into it.

sent from my old computer on an old desk that now has brake fluid on it

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Can you still buy pads for those calipers? If so, then you may want to find out how much clearance you have once the pads are installed, so you know rotor thickness. Once you have rotor thickness determined, then you can start narrowing down the 5 on 5" rotors that are the correct thickness to use. Many modern cars like large Chevy, or GM trucks '67-'72 used 5x5" pattern. Corvettes too. Something will work to fit your pattern.
    The Speedway weld on brackets are about $20 a pair, and I've welded them on, or drilled them to bolt to the axle flange or spindle pattern. Then it's just getting the spacing for the bracket and welding, or cutting spacers from thick wall pipe to set the caliper location if you bolt them on.

15. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

Thanks for the info! Speedway has pads that work, but I hear the life of them is not too good. I've also got the complete vintage Airheart single piston front setup already so I may as well be completely antiquated, lol.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think pad life on a hotrod that doesn't get a ton of miles wouldn't be a huge concern for me. And sometimes pads that wear a little quicker are easier on rotors, and brake better, so that's a plus.
    A vintage looking rotor for Airheart would be a nicer look, if they can be seen in the rear. Might just have to keep up the search if it's something you'd really prefer.

17. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Just curious do those take a solid or vented rotor and what size ?

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you click on Steve's post #2170 you can see the ad for the rotors. They were solid back then.

19. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

Yes, solid rotor .350" thick

20. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks I saw the add just not good enough on my wife's iPod, darn kids are on the computer. I take it you've searched for something close to work . What diameter?

21. I am considering these to keep my leafs with ladders.

Attached Files:

22. Steve, Looks like you're missing a bottle opener:D

23. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is another option to think about. I have used this type semi floater many times and they work fine. They are quiet, and your able to adjust the ride height of your car 2-3 inches.
    [​IMG]

24. abone1930

abone1930

Who makes those? Not building my Willys to be a period correct car, but I want it to look it to the average car guy. Just don want anything getting into a bind.

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeg's sells them. Jegster 40603 Housing Floater Kit. $110.00

[​IMG]

26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

You can make a slide / floater system real easy that we use and it works good. Just drop a bracket down on each side of the spring with a hole above the spring and another below the spring with about an 1/8" clearance. Sort of like the 2 side brackets in the pic in post 2183. Make a piece of tubing for a crush sleeve between the bracket on each bolt. Now the spring is captured with the bracket on the sides and a bolt on top and bottom it will rotate and slide, works just like it has coil overs. I'll try to get pics if anyone is interest. Oh make sure you get about 1" ahead or behind the spring bolt because it will move about that much and the bolt will interfere.

27. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something like this ?
    [​IMG]

28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Exactly, Thanks Baron you saved me from crawling under my car and making a pic.

29. abone1930

abone1930

Thanks , what I was looking for, now when did people start useing floaters?

30. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

Kip, the "Tobasco" 55 Chevy c/gas car built at Blairs had a similar setup, but the leaf was anchored at the rear horn of the frame and the shackle was at the axle tube (more inherent lateral stability?)