Register now to get rid of these ads!

'36 3 Window Back Seat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RobC, Dec 10, 2013.

1. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

I'm looking at two coupes at the moment, both '36 Fords. One is a 3 and the other a 5 window.

Has anyone seen or tried to put a back seat into a 3 window? or got photos of one??

I REALLY want to buy the 3 window but with a tall 9 year old I'm going to need another seat. :rolleyes:

I've seen them in 5 windows and although tight they seem to work but I've not even sat in a 3 window to date. I assume there's much less room "back there"?

Any and all info appreciated.

Cheers,
    Rob

2. uncle buck

uncle buck

Unfortunatly the only back seat you will fit in a 35-36 3 window is a rumble seat. To get one in a five window that isn't totally useless even for a young kid you will have to do some custom work on a thinner front seat back.

3. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

Thanks Uncle Buck,

I'd figured but hoped it may have been possible.

I've seen several back seats in 5 windows here but I wouldn't volunteer to sit in one for a long trip. They don't look comfy and your head must be awfully close to the rear of the roof.

Cheers,
    Rob

4. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

If you are going to keep your car and kid for a while, buy a sedan... seriously. My cars are mostly two passenger cars and I leave the kids at home :)

As much as I like a 36, I would look at a 39/40 coupe if you really want a coupe and haul a person short distances.

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have a three window and I don't see any room for a rear seat. Mine does have the rumble seat but am not too excited about putting young kids back there.

As said before, get a sedan. I have a Model A tudor that works great for the family. The 35 or 36 slantback are well styled.

Neal

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I agree, a tudor is the way to go. Around where I am, the Tudor bodies tend to be a little cheaper and sometimes in better condition than other bodies on the market (though sometimes much worse with trees growing through them). Good luck!

7. yep , no room in mine for a rear seat

if you are going sedan look for a slantback..they look cool

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

not sure on the 3 window--dad's isn't far enough along to have looked at seat spacing, but in a 5 widnw and roadstr you can run extended cab truck jump seats back there--like from a ranger. dad's got those in his roadster now--any 2 of my kids can ride along in those around town, but I wouldn't want to be there for the long haul.

FWIW, I spend my childhood rolling around the back floorboard of a 5 window coupe--no only were seatbelts optional, but apparently seats were too. it did make it easy to sleep in the back floor on the trip from NC to Daytona every year, though.

with kids a sedan is a huge improvment--they've go acres of space--I'm partial to humback's but I know I'm in the minority.

9. Brandi

Brandi

Yeah, I'm not sure about that backseat in a 5W either. There's an impressive amount of space behind the seat in those, but the days would be numbered with that kid outgrowing any custom backseat that you could put in there, I'd think.

10. uncle buck

uncle buck

I'd like to see some pics of this roadster and its seat setup, can you show us?

11. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'll see if my dad can post up or send me some pics. stay tuned

12. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I have a 36 5W - not possible.Get a 37 club coupe.There is more room.

13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I should clarify the jump seats are run laterally, just like the extended cab ranger, not front to back. the 2 passengers would face each other. sent dad a message to post up pics.

14. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

Thanks Guys,

A 5 window rear seat is definitely doable but I wouldn't want to be an adult on a long trip. At the Temora rod run this year there was both a '35 and a '36 5 window with them.

I hear you guys RE a sedan but they aren't plentiful nor cheap down here. I can't stomach a hump and that narrows the choices further. 5 window coupes are much easier to find here and it would seem a 3 window is out of the question based on seating capacity.

Cheers,
    Rob

15. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Get a 5 window coupe, never have seen any 3 windows with a back seat. Oh did I mention that my 41 Ford Custom is For Sale on the Hamb Classifieds?

16. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A '40 Ford opera coupe had jump seats that folded forward out of the rear of the cab, had no package tray, and offers some room. You could also use a '39 Deluxe Ford coupe (same body) and make it work for a while. A '37 Ford club coupe would really be the neatest, but they are HARD to find.

17. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I installed a bronco back seat in a 40 coupe that worked ok too, but the OP is looking specifically at s 35/6 3 or 5 window.

18. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

Yep, definitely a '36. I like 'em and so does she, that latter being rather important.

I found this pic on Ebay that tells the story. If I'd found it before this post I'd not have had to make it.

Three in the front would be fine for shorter trips but I doubt it for a long run.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Rob