Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical putting 1935 flathead 8 into model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by shelby69500, Dec 12, 2013.

1. shelby69500

shelby69500
    from michigan

So what kind of project would it be to put my running 1935 ford flathead eight into a Model A coupe. tell me tell me lol

2. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I don't know, nobody has ever put a Flathead V8 into a Model A Coupe before.

3. shelby69500

shelby69500
    from michigan

well first, come on, im new at street rodding so would like some real advice, and i never mention a v8

4. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

got any pics of your ford flathead 8....that is not a v8 ?

5. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

There is a lot to consider when planning a build like that. Radiator, transmission,crossmember, clutch and brake pedals, throttle pedal,the brakes themselves, etc. that's a pretty broad question, but it can be done with the right parts and some fabrication work. Try the search function and check out what's being built out there to get some idea of what it takes to do it.

6. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

Do a search for 'Roadster Build' by 'Chris' should have all the info you need.

7. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Do a search here...A V8 blown. It is an excellent "how to". This car came out great.

8. maybe try this- click on link--> AV8

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Mike Bishop/Vern Tardel book is also a great reference.

10. adam401

adam401

Car in my avatar is a model a with a 35 v8. If you have all the parts you can do it relatively quickly.
    Things you'll need are a 46 and later insplit wishbone or split a 32 and up wishbone. You'll need to fabricate a k member or other version of crossmember to support the v8 tranny and a pedal assembly (the pedal assembly you have know is mounted to the A transmission. yoyll have to dimple the firewall to clear the fuel pump, and you'll have to change or shorten and relocate the steering column. Mine was 6 inches shortened and 6 inches moved back stock model a. Plus alot more stuff. Just get into it. its not hard

11. The only real info you need is to learn to use the Search menu on the above Black header. There has to be at least 20 different photo doc builds there. All you need to do is look.
    The Wizzard

12. The biggest problem with the search is that people don't post with relevant title- "look what followed me home" and "got me a pick up"

A-V8 in search =zip - zero , narda on first 2 pages:confused:
    Flathead into Model A in search more luck but only one useful - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772500&highlight=flathead+into+model

av8 in search = got some gold;) .

gets even worse if you don't use the same terminology, over here more often than not, we say A Model as apposed to Model A, say av8 and you have to explain.

just saying :eek:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013