Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

that we love sedan deliveries thread says the hinge areas are the same...

2. 57maddman

57maddman

The hinges & the roof support brace is different for a Delivery than it is for a regular wagon. You need to change the roof brace, the hinges, the torsion rods, and supports. You can't just bolt a 1 piece hatch from a delivery on a standard wagon. There were only 92 window deliveries built in 1957 for the US Forestry service...:cool:

3. biscaynes

biscaynes

back in '75, i removed a 2 piece gate on my '57 2dr wagon and bolted on a '56 delivery gate
    57rear.jpg

4. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

biscaynes, did you change out the pan at the bottom of hatch? i do not see indents where bottom hinges would have been.

5. biscaynes

biscaynes

same pan, hinges sat flat on the rear pan, indents on the lower gate for the hinges.

6. 57maddman

57maddman

The sedan delivery inner jamb is smooth. There are no indents for the lower hinges. Because there are no lower hinges on a delivery. Therefore the inner tailgate jamb is DIFFERENT than a regular wagon/nomad.
    Again, the upper hinges are different. Deliveries use heavy duty cast hinges. Wagons/Nomads use stamped steel hinges. They are a totally different design. You cannot just bolt a delivery hatch to wagon upper hinges.
    Check the GM parts book for 55-57 you will see there are three different part numbers for tailgate hinges listed. Wagon, Nomad, Delivery. Also, look at the roof braces you will see 2 different part numbers. One for delivery, and one for wagons/nomads.

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

and just the other argument is used to explain away a handyman wagon with a one piece tailgate---it is obvious he put the gate on that wagon...

8. 409Rcr

409Rcr
    from Bear, DE

George Cureton sometime around 1970.

[​IMG]

9. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

hey 409rcr, you bio states you worked at cecil county, have any photos of a 1958 yellow corvette run by a bill cornelius in your collection? thanks drag race

10. Has to be at least 1972...in Super Stock

11. biscaynes

biscaynes

used the delivery upper hinges, support struts attached in the same holes as the wagon window struts, sheet metal covers off the delivery covered the lower jamb hinge holes.

12. biscaynes

biscaynes

from another thread...

Attached Files:

13. biscaynes

biscaynes

couple '57s...

Attached Files:

14. biscaynes

biscaynes

tommy ronca

Attached Files:

15. 409Rcr

409Rcr
    from Bear, DE

I don't but I've seen pictures of it on the web. Have you seen the "Cecil County Drag-O-Way" page on Facebook? A ton of old stuff there.

16. 409Rcr

409Rcr
    from Bear, DE

Good guess! I sent it to George the other day, he says it was 73.

17. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

With George's permission and the blessing from the current owner of the Tokyo Rose 56 sedan delivery, we're building a tribute to the early rose colored version. Plans are to make it a multi-purpose drag car to resemble the original.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  18. Alaskam5

Alaskam5
    from Alaska

Thought some of you older Island racers might even remember this. I believe it was summer of 1969.
    Scan.jpg

Scan 01.jpg

Scan 02.jpg

19. biscaynes

biscaynes

good to hear! please post up some progress picts. :cool:

20. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Taken by me at NY National Speedway date on back says 1969. I was home on leave in July before going to Vietnam.

Pat

Attached Files:

21. 65deluxe

65deluxe

GCURETON.jpg

Its great to see a recreation of the Tokyo Rose in the works. I assume George has told you how they came about the original paint? May be tough to match. ;)
    Merry Christmas to everyone. May it be safe and full of cheer.
    Doug

22. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Yes, George told me the story of how the "Big Orange" became the Tokyo Rose. The current owner was kind enough to pull a paint chip from the door jamb and is sending it to us.

23. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Well that should help a lot!

24. biscaynes

biscaynes

merry christmas fellow jr stockers!

25. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Attached Files:

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Merry Christmas Gang!

Attached Files:

27. BOBD1950

BOBD1950

RAY ZANG-Clifton-L/SA ..(!)

I KNEW HIM FROM THE 70'S..found about that car in 1979.

Yes,there are some names on that list, are still around, running as grandsons.!

28. Pretty sure that was Ray Zang's Olds tow car in L/SA.

29. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Happy holidays guys. Again , I realize we are months away from The York Junior Stock Reunion meet. Here is some info for the guys bringing cars. If you've been to York before you know that as you show up your car gets placed in the hall with no real rhyme nor reason. You're there, you're in. This year, since the Stocker count keeps climbing we'll have to be a bit more " creative" to make sure we can try to get them all in a row or even 2 rows the way it's going. If you're not worried about where your placed in either hall, then don't concern yourself with this info. If you want to be with the Stocker group we need to be at York on that Thursday between 10 am and 4 PM. The plan is to try to place us together by leaving spaces open to place cars in the row or two designated for the Junior Stockers. This year we will be in the East Hall which is a change from previous years as well. I'm sharing this now so if you're a slow thinker like me, it'll have time to sink in.......and I won't forget it. Thanks guys

30. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

PS . Bill E; you should grab that 56 Chevy you're looking at . Fender wells, ,your 4:88 and your 4 speed and your instant Junior Stocker is born. You do remember " Mighty Mouse " that ran out of Demarchis Brothers in Bristol, yeah?? I'm sure your wife is already "happy" with the other cool stuff that resides at your house, what's one more??????