Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Early 60's Fuel Tanks....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RoadFarmer, Nov 4, 2013.

1. I know most drag cars ran a Moon or Eelco style tank....but what if someone wanted to carry more fuel that 10 gallons? Were fuel cells around by the early 60's? thanks for the ideas!

2. One last try....morning crew?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. funny....someone gives this thread 1 star....but they didn't bother giving an answer

4. i don't know what was used elsewhere but around here they used the stock tank or one from vw beetle i had a fuel cell with a rubber bladder it was way toooo big took up all the trunk but was race car and unique for he most part the gas tank was an after thought

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

What ever we could find in the slavage yard that we could make fit !! As I recall early 30s Chevys had a squarish rectanglar tank that we used a lot.

6. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

Fuel tanks we used old tractor tanks. They could be found in many sizes. But I am an old farm boy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 1939oldsgasser

1939oldsgasser
    from Redding CA

In my car they used a old saddle tank off a semi truck I believe

8. marcshall

marcshall

i'm using a triumph TR3 gas tank in the trunk of my 29 ford

9. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen v-dub, mustang and early c-j jeep. I had one in a drag car out of a Cushman truckster. was only 4 or 5 gals. if I remember right.

10. 296ardun

296ardun

I once used an oxygen tank from war surplus, had been on a bomber, or so they told me...think it was around 10 gallons, but don't remember...filled the existing hose holes and bored holes for the gas line and the return line, and welded a screw cap on it (well, had them welded, couldn't heiliarc)....to answer your question, don't remember fuel cells in the early '60s...