Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Steering Help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by riseabove_xxx, Dec 11, 2013.

1. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

Im working on my 1950 Chevy and I need some help with the steering. Ive heard some people call it the third arm or center link. Im not to sure but I need whatever is circled in the picture. I have the steering arm that goes there but nothing to connect to the cross member. I know it might be confusing and im sorry for that. Any help or pictures would be great. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Try Chevy of the 40s. Good source for parts.

3. gwarren007

gwarren007

4. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The crossmember is tapped on top for a special hardened bolt. The bolt is very often missing or damaged, and most have been loose for years. Now is a good time to do the front engine mounts while you rebush the pivot & repair crossmember. Do the drag link, too.

6. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

7. RDR

RDR

one more source may be EGGES in LA

8. wood470

wood470

I had that fall off in the center lane of the 5 Fwy around LAX about 55 mph one evening. Luckily there was so much grease around the nut it didn't fall off and I was able to screw it back n by hand to limp it home.

9. R Pope

R Pope

Note that there are shims to be used when installing the third arm.

10. Early Corvettes used a variation of this with a slightly different arm to quicken the steering, I think. I used the corvette stuff on my 50 Chevy sedan delivery race car.

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

the thread in mine bolt were messed up, made for some sloppy steering. we when with a bolt all the way thru the crossember with a nut on the bottom side. (it got me home from California to Seattle and for part of the summer until I replaced the front susp. (sorry its went to the scrap yard.

there is a guy in Lynwood Wa (north of seattle) with a whole front crossmember forsale in craigslist.