Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1932 Desoto 2 door sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by USA Tires Sign Joe, Nov 28, 2013.

1. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

A local guy is selling a '32 Desoto 2 door sedan traditional hot rod project car with a 331 Hemi. The current owner is not sure of how many of these cars were made in 1932 or how many are left in existence. I think another member has the car posted F/S here on the HAMB with no pics. Just curious, trying to get some factual history. Trying to help a fellow HAMBer out....

Thanks!

*Just found these pics of the car F/S on CL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  2. That would be great to put in service,love the early Mopar bodies.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is a great looking project, hope someone with talent takes it over. Bob

4. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

With a little math, I pulled the following numbers from the serial numbers made that year from this website. Its only broken down by series and not individual model type, but I still hope this helps. Can't be many of these around regardless.

Custom 6

Detroit-Built: 7,578
    Windsor-Built: 800
    Standard 6
    Detroit-built: 15,720
    Windsor-built: 998

5. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Why can't something like this ever turn up in my neck of the woods? Like Texas Webb said above, "love the early Mopar bodies", and a hemi just completes the perfect package.

6. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Amen, you just don't see them around anymore. I wonder if they were like the GM's of that era with a lot of wood that didn't hold up? Fewer made for sure, but they're just scarce today.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Very Cool find! According to The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 3,730 were made.

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool sedan.. Will make a great hot rod...

9. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I'd buy that in a heartbeat

10. Somebody

Somebody

All it needs is a straight axle under it and some decent wheels and it's killer.

Mustang II = puke.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 that looks like a real nice solid body to build with.

I can never understand why guys looking at cars that are hot rods get caught up on how many were made to begin with unless it is an issue with hunting parts.

It will never be a belly button car though as you might go to a 3000 car event and have the only one there.

12. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

IMO it is a curiosity thing like any old object. People like to know what they have. I agree it is not a common sight. The "belly button" reference is a good way to put it.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  13. 35desoto

35desoto

They had some wooden roof bows but the great thing over a Mopar is that it had steel frames - so not like a Chev of the same era

14. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

I like the fact this car can been seen for what it is and it retains most of the original body components. The suicide doors are very unique.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There was for many years a light blue DeSoto sedan like that one in either Daisetta or Liberty TX, believe it had a 50s Caddy V8 and Hydro. Fine looking car, love that grille.
    Do NOT let this one get away. It will be a keeper.

16. Paul B

Paul B

I know of one in Hartford might be for sale. Hasn't been outside for 30 years or more.

17. jlracing2

jlracing2
    from new jersey

new price 18,000 she has to go

18. ezdusit

ezdusit

True for this car, but not all 1932 Mopars. In 1932, Chrysler had farmed out all closed car production to the Briggs Body Co., which had transitioned to all-steel construction. The open cars, such as the roadsters, were being built in the old Maxwell Body Works, which still built bodies in the tradition of the carriage builders. If the wood-reinforced cars were ever exposed to the elements for very long, they disintegrated. I know. I'm rodding a '32 Plymouth PB roadster. Lotsa wood.

[​IMG]

19. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Speaking of Caddy motors. There is a local guy selling a complete Caddy 1930's V8 in good shape. I think it may be on ebay right now for around $1K.

Damn ezdusit! That is one heck of a lot of wood! Nice looking work.

20. 35desoto

35desoto

Now that's interesting and I have learned something new today - trust Ma Mopar to go and stuff up my line of thought and understanding. Well at least I was right regarding the normal standard production cars. Thanks for the history lesson!:)

21. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

the desotos seem to be the lesser produced,,maybe pricing?? but there grills and trim stand out in the crowd,

22. 35desoto

35desoto

The Desoto was introduced by Walter P Chrysler in 1928 to coincide with the release of the all new Plymouth. There is speculation that he did this to influence his purchase of Dodge Bros. The Desoto was initially a step up from a Plymouth and a step down from a Chrysler. When he bought Dodge the Desoto was aligned below a Dodge and above a Plymouth but in the late 30's this was reversed with the pecking order being Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler. This stayed in place until Desoto was fazed out in late 1960

23. a bit of trivia...In 1928 DeSoto set a record for the most cars produced in the first year of production, they held that record until the Ford Falcon came out in 1960.
    Desoto quit production with 1961 as the last year.

24. MoparBruce

MoparBruce

The reason the Dodge Brothers cars all came out steel to start with, was by the time Dodge got into the game, all the hardwood was under contract already. They HAD to use steel..... Thank God!

25. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

interesting information,,and they say you cant teach an old dog any thing new,,,,keep the trivia rollling,,,

26. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

This car is still for sale. I can not not believe it....

27. 73RR

73RR

As cool as it is, 18 large is a pile-o-money for most folks...

28. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car is the spitting image of the French '32 Ford, the one with suicide doors. With an early Hemi is it, that car spells HELL YES. I've often wondered about their fate. Down in Texas, it seems the people drove Fords or Chevies in the '20s, '30s, ''40s, and '50s. I have a '56 DeSoto 330 sitting on an engine stand that would surely look good between those rails. Hope he builds and drives the steelies ? off of it.

29. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really wish Chrysler Corp. would have produced a small block Hemi, a big block Hemi, and left it at that, instead of so many slightly larger-than-the-previous-year versions. The design is far superior to any other engine built, and could still be here today. Ford and Chevy used that logic almost exclusively for decades starting in '58 ? with great success. Early Hemis are very sought after.

30. Is it listed in the classifieds? HRP