Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Short and Sweet

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 10, 2013.

1. dmc3113

dmc3113

Roth didn't build "Tweedy Pie" he bought it.

2. TERPU

TERPU

Damn straight! That's the first thing I thought of. Sorry J but it's a Clown machine.

All the best,

Tim

3. Kinky6

Kinky6

Since the article mentions a 87" wheelbase, I'm curious, is yours somewhere around 96" - 102"?, Yours still looks short, without being crowded.

Kinky6 :cool:

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yeah, I know. What I meant was that I thought Tweedy Pie had started out as the roadster at the beginning of this post.

5. If the rear of the cab was narrower, and the rear end proportionately narrower, it wouldn't look so odd. It still looks weird in profile (the rear 3-4" further back would fix it), but once you see it in 3/4 view, it just multiplies.

Not every experiment is a success, and we benefit from 60 years of hindsight.

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

I don't think that I've ever measured it.

I just spent a lot of time mocking it up where I thought it looked best.

Rich

7. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

i love cars like this. when i first started my roadster it was going to be a shorty.

8. Funny thing about that truck is that if I pulled up to a large gathering of H.A.M.B. experts in that exact truck today there would be a LARGE group of goof balls that would say that is not traditional. I have had this happen with stuff built originally in the early 60's and people want to argue that they didn't do it like that back then. In fact I even had it happen one time with a car that had been done in the 50's. Judge all you want but I would drive the wheels off of that thing.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah but weather it was done here and there is not the same as weather it is in the tradition of the era.

thats like finding one guy in the early 50's wearing a mohawk haircut and then 60 years later trying to say its a traditional 50's hair cut.

its not looking at what the individual did, its not looking at the whole scope of what was done. its looking at what the herd did. what was predominately done and set the style.

I don't understand why that's always so hard for people to grasp.

I also don't understand how some don't grasp that ugly is ugly weather its a surviving car or a new one.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Hot rodding and customizing have always been about creativity and individual expression.

"What the herd did" leads to belly-button red deuce roadsters and chopped Mercs. Those were interesting when they were fresh and novel; now they're just school uniforms.

Shorty roadsters, or modifieds, were as much a part of the early hot rod scene as Grabowski's and Ivo's Ts were. Now that style, the T Bucket, is another cliche that has been done to death.

I'll take well-done different over well-done herd any time.

11. some more-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  12. Who in the hell wants to be part of the "herd"? It's the guys that stepped out of the box that are legends not the people copying what everyone else was or is doing just because it's traditional. I have had the "traditionalist" tell me the front end of my A is out to far to be traditional but yet I had that conversation with Gene Winfield when he was at my garage looking at my car and he said he was doing suicide front ends that far out in the late 40's. I know who's judgement I think more of. If your a lemming you are just going to go over the cliff with the rest. Don't get me wrong I love looking at a true period correct car because I think they are beautiful but there are a bunch of kool cars out there that are not cookie cutters.

13. I think the first one in my post above looks ok siting there, but when you add the human factor... it does look off scale??

I like the concept and a mixture of all of them would get the right recipe for me I'm not that big at -5'8"

I mean no disrespect for any cars I have posted, just using them for example.

this is another example of good looking, great detail, but ad the human-??( I love this thing and would endure any amount of pain to go for a dive in it) :cool::cool::cool: but in my reality 20 minutes would have me with no sleep that night:(

I am buiding a Model A RPU but hope to get more room by using a 4 door front seat panel and rpu rear quarters.

Attached Files:

14. :) found one that's right on the money (for me at least)-

Attached Files:

15. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I thought the proportions worked on this one... A little goofy, but I don't know, seeing the rearend hanging way out back on alot of modifieds looks worse to me.

At least he dared to be different!

16. yes he did, and he got people thinking and my point is that we can take bits and pieces - styling ques if you like, and incorporate that part that the builder likes and thinks that he my want to have as part of his build.

I do have some pix of cars that have missed the mark (to my eye) but in most cases I can find a good idea that I can think about using in my build.

seeing some that have "missed the mark" helps a lot in avoiding a end result that may be disappointing to the builder.

if it's what you want, go for it that's hotrodding, but remember not all of them will be seen in a good light by every body.;)

here's one that brakes all the rules, omg red paint!! sbc!!! :rolleyes: it's the end of hot rodding as we know it :eek:

Attached Files:

17. Kinky6

Kinky6

I don't have a good picture to post as an example, but there were some early modifieds that looked like the rear body section of a touring had just been dumped off, which left the rear end hanging well out past the remaining body. It made me think that, in this case, weight reduction and ease of fabrication was more important than looks. :rolleyes: As someone around here has pointed out, we've had a long time to consider what looks "right" on these cars, versus how it was sometimes actually done.

Interestingly, the green modified from a few posts back, looks really bitchin', until you see a driver in it! I'd hate to have to drive anything with my knees cramped up in there like that. But, it ain't my car, and as long as the driver's having fun with it, that's what really counts.

Reckon I could get a stretch version of that thing?

Later, :cool:

18. I would throw the keys to it to my skinny ass 18 old Son, and let him cut a lap at an event that we have both attended, and when the shiteatingrin left his face....he may have an interest in hot rods.

Tell him perhaps it might be his one day if......

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

True, most car styles follow a proven, pre set formula, but that's because it works and is also pleasing to the eye. I also think that a lot of people screw up and can convince themselves that something looks okay. Maybe because it cost too much to fix or they're too lazy to fix it. It's like the guy with the plaid coat and the polka dot pants. Yea, he's not a lemming, but he sure looks like an idiot.

Just an observation and IMO, I've never seen a group of hot rods and thought they were cookie cutter. What the hell does that even mean? That they have 4 wheels, a body and an engine? Then, yes. Other than that, it doesn't apply to anything homebuilt. But from an artistic/form point of view, I've seen a lot of cars that looked wrong.

20. Beau

Beau

Some more shorties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013