Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Dadburgess

Dadburgess

Kind of looks like a possible repair, after a rear end collision!

2. gearguy

gearguy

Photo looks like Joliet Stadium based on the curb on inside and the turf infield. When did UARA mandate cages?

3. DWX9929

DWX9929

Actually, all of the construction of the car is riveted (and lots of them!).

4. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Finished product, see video #10 Willow Springs USA
    http://foresterlive.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XguU7Vh01lw&feature=player_embedded

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  5. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Neat clip...Thanks. I'd rather drive the midget though (grin). Denny Z.

6. TommyA19

TommyA19

I found this over on Facebook on the Hinchliffe Stadium Racing History page:

Ronny Dennis
    I regret to inform everyone that Bill Nash passed away peacefully in his sleep this past Sunday morning. Bill was a big part of this page and everything we do at Hinchliffe Stadium. He wasn't just our historian but he was a dear friend and will be greatly missed. The family will receive family and friends on Fri. Nov. 29, 2013 from 2pm-4pm and 7pm-9pm at Vander Plaat-Vermeulen Memorial Home 530 High Mountain Road, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey. Funeral Service will be Sat. Nov. 30, 2013 at 10am at the funeral home. Interment at Fair Lawn Memorial Cemetery.

7. the shadow

the shadow

just wanted to post a few progress pics for the end of the year. I set a goal of getting it on the ground & rolling by the end of this year. I got the frame repaired,blasted, primed & painted, rear & suspension all blasted- rebuilt,painted and bolted on. belly tank made & installed (but not painted yet) . New old slicks mounted on the mag rims. And finally finish machining & polishing my cast hub cobers for the 5 lug set up. I have to finish the metal work on the nose & hood (sanding ,fitting,painting) the body is already done & in epoxy primer.
    It was a learning experiance especially since I was not even born when this thing was in it's hey day. I was able to get this far by the help of alot of you guys + some good pictures on the net + in books. Oh and going to the latimore vally museum helped alot too!
    thanks guys for the advice & help! time to take a break from the build & look for an intake for the engine & plan next years goals?
    Paul

Attached Files:

• 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      129.8 KB
      Views:
    • 028.JPG
      028.JPG
      File size:
      137.5 KB
      Views:
    • 030.JPG
      030.JPG
      File size:
      74.3 KB
      Views:
    • 032.JPG
      032.JPG
      File size:
      142.3 KB
      Views:
  8. the shadow

the shadow

hey any of you guys recognioze this bolt cicrle pattern ? I got this 12" wheel/tire with my midget when I bought it. If I could ID it maybe I could sell it to someone else that needs it? kindof a 4 bolt pattern?

Paul

Attached Files:

• 029.jpg
      029.jpg
      File size:
      113.1 KB
      Views:
  9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

10. Surfref32

Surfref32

11. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

12. Racer12

Racer12

Looking for pictures of the old goggle/leather mask combo that racers used prior to full face helmets. Doesn't matter if it's open wheel, stock car or motorcycle. If it doesn't fit the thread requirements please PM me. Thanks!

Bob

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

I used the leather mask for many years. Had it on at The mazon Speedway the night a guide wire flew across the track striking me in the face. Lucky for me I had that mask on it is now in Bill Smith Speed Museum in Lincoln Neb. .Along with Max Reichenbach Midget.BK

14. Racer12

Racer12

BK, do you have a picture of it?

Bob

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Racer12; Yes I found some pics.with the mask not sure how to send them on this web BK

16. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hello All, My friend Ray Miller is going to spend the holidays in Las Vegas and he would like to visit the Mike Caruso Midget Racing Museum. What are the hours of operation and are "walk ins" permitted? Also he would like to visit the shop Mike's son has, and are "walk in's permitted there and what is the address, probably not the same as the museum?
    A little history on Ray Miller...Ray grew up around Midget Racing, his Dad owned Midgets that raced during the same time period and along side Mike Caruso's Midgets.
    When Ray was old enough he started driving modified stock cars himself and has an impressive resume of wins and accomplishments. He is now 72 years old (I think) and has a stable of Midgets one of which he drives himself. Matter of fact he has won a main event in each of the last two years.

Appreciate any and all info you can get me and if you would prefer you can PM me.

Thanks, Denny Z

17. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The museum and the shop are one and the same. They are open normal business hours and walk ins are fine, but if you contact Brian Caruso at the shop and let him know the situation, he will advise Biff Caruso who loves to come in and meet and tour the midget people.

http://www.carusomidgetracing.com/

18. lostmind

lostmind

19. Here's one i built a V8-60 for. The old guy on the left built it in 1939, he's in his 90s now.

[​IMG]

20. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

That was quick....Thanks 28dreyer

21. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Denny, I thik Biff has passed away. Brian has always treated visiters who were friends of mine very well. Caruso`s are fine people.

22. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

This is a post war Hillegass built railframe midget. When I was in L.A. at the Gilmore reunion i found Little Joes restaurant and it was the same colored building as the car. They sponserd the car I have a letter from Roger Ward claiming he drove the car and ate at the club. Ron Resuto was the regular driver. It had the optional high tail, the same as on the railframed sprint.
    Same car driven by Ron Resuto only with later body. I also have the original Hillegass body with original color and lettering. The last pic is on a shelf in my barn.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  23. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Stan, I think you are correct, I meant to have said Mike Jr.

I'll have to defer to you young guys.

24. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Looks like the later body came with an OHV six cylinder engine.

25. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Racer 12 The mask I used my racing is in Bill Smith Museum of Speed in Lincoln NE. BK

26. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Cars must go ASAP.
    Have just made major price reductions (virtual GIVE-AWAY prices, at this point)on the beautiful Elto outboard midget (AND the historic Granite State sprinter). see the photos and info in the HAMB classifieds.
    Anyone interested in one (or a package deal) contact me

27. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

Just a couple of 8x10 pics that I have had forever. Apparently the pics are from Heidelburg. The photographer listed on the back is Smith's Racing Photos in Columbus, OH. Pic with the cars is dated Aug 25, 1948 and also says Columbus Sunday Star...may have ran in that paper. Pic with the drivers is by same photog, and is dated Sept. 19, 1948. No driver names listed.

Just thought I would share.

Attached Files:

28. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Just heard that Danny Kladis son George passed away a few weeks ago. I have no further info.

29. tractorguy

tractorguy

Just found the obituary stating that he died in late Aug 2013. Last time I saw him was in 2008 when I went back to his father Danny's place to pick up some stuff that I had bought at the Danny Kladis estate sale.
    Still remember George was wearing an oxygen pack on his belt with the plastic tubes in his nose.......and puffing on a cigarillo !!! May he rest in peace.

30. the shadow

the shadow

My New years surprise 2 weeks late. I took some time off of my midget restoration after thanksgiving to re-coup some cash & because it just gets to damm cold in the garage in winter. the last major project I did in november was to get the car on the wheels rolling with some new (used) slicks & I accomplished that much.
    So I go into the garage last friday night to get some tools for a road trip & I notice mouse in a trap by my tool box next to a plastic container that is supposed to be on my work bench, not unusual to get a mouse, what was odd was the container on the floor? thinking the mouse knocked the container off the work bench I decided to check to make sure no mice had climbed into my dragster and made a nest out of my seat upholstry or the car cover on the dragster. As I lift the cover a grey cresent shaped ring falls from under the cover and makes a muffled metallic ding sound when it hits the floor?
    I pick it up and can't figure out what it is or why it's half under my dragster cover, finally it dawns on me that it is magenesium & is from a 12" wheel! I have one spare wheel that I have been moving around alot (always in the way) & I assume I dropped it & broke it, after finding the wheel it's intact? I get a sinking feeling & go over to the midget in the other bay. Both the rear wheels are flat (and they weren't 2 days earlier when I was in there because I rolled the car a few feet forward) and the side wheels facing the dragster are fine? I got to the other side & find the rear left wheel had exploded & sent the cresent shaped "bead" of the rim flying into the side wall where it ricocheted off my welder to the back wall hitting the plastic container then bounced into the back of my dragster!
    I'm pissed because the 5 lug halibrands are really scarce,it took me 2 years to track one down before & I paid over $200 for it to boot. I don't know why it blew up or why both tires went flat at the same time? I did have that tire put onto that rim after an old dirt tire was removed & came to 2 conclusions. One - the rim may be too narrow for the slick which is a 5.0 X 12 and the wheel couldn't hold it so it blew at the bead area (FYI- I know it's on the wrong side - I put 2- 5.0/12 slicks on the rear for now, my spare race wheel & slick is a 4.5/12 for the rear left)?
    Or when the guy flipped the tires for me he cracked the rim during mounting or dismounting & it just took time to finish cracking?
    In either case why didn't it blow when when it was mounted or soon after...why a month & a half later? we did have a problem with the bead not seating on that wheel- it popped but was'nt right (maybe it was already cracked?
    I guess I will never know the real cause, just needed to vent & I'm glad I still have one spare halibrand with the 4.5 slick on it!
    Paul

Attached Files: