Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to flat clear a patina paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalmen, Jul 3, 2013.

1. I hate to be ugly about it, but can you asked the question in "English" please. Thanks

2. khead47

khead47

Penetrol! Wipe on-Wipe off. Easy Peasy.

3. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

well said

4. slappy1eye

slappy1eye

So True!!

5. TennesseeZ

TennesseeZ

Scroll down to post 4 in this one

I've also heard of using Johnson's Paste Wax for furniture

6. Bader 2

Bader 2

Maybe you guys should have instructed him to buy a new truck then he would have new paint!Maybe most of you missed his point altogether.I agree that they are only original once and once you painted it you've lost some character,and that is the reason we drive this old stuff!If everyone like the same girl the world would be pretty boring!

7. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

I'm a fan of car which has nice original patina,worn and sunburnt, but not rusty,and I'd also prefer to buy a car in this cond,knowing it haz'nt been mudded up and given a jam job.I've read in previous threads where they use gun oil to preserve it,and not clear laquer.

8. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

TheHighlander's right on... if you don't like original paint or patina, why are some of you answering or even reading OP. Some opinions are like AHoles, lots of them on the WWW.anonymousInterweb

9. DoubleClutch1

DoubleClutch1

I don't like that word Rat Rod for leaving pantina on a car. Its call derelict cars. Google it and find more information on what im talking about. I Love Pantina!!

10. firingorder1

firingorder1

I've always loved the "its only original once" excuse. Did it come from the factory with "patina".

11. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Just wax it.

I prefer primer.

The world is full of patina posers. There is a way to rise above it.

12. jhaas63

jhaas63

To the OP: Everyone telling you how stupid it is spent a lot of money on paint and want to bash you cause you arent. My 53 has a 30 year old paint with a bunch of lrimer showing. An it gets tons of attention. Fuck these guys and their opinions. Do what you want.

13. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

so you are concerned about your rusty and sun faded truck looking like shit a year from now? just so I'm understanding this, rusty and sun faded looks nice, but rusty, sun faded and peeling looks like shit. got it

14. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Wash and wax before winter storage and once before taking out for the summer. This is my fathers car spent it's life in Texas until 2005. Stored in my barn until 2008 and has seen regular summer use as a daily driver. One day when the funds are available it may get paint. For now we enjoy it and love the patina.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

Attached Files:

15. jhaas63

jhaas63

That looks awesome. Anyone who doesnt like that is mad cause they spent $10k on paint.

Mitch hall likes this.
  16. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

As you give your opinion... :rolleyes:

17. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

I had a 47 Dodge for several years. Didnt want to paint it as it wasnt very bad. Black car with original paint . Thin in places and scratched some. I just waxed and polished a couple times a year. It stayed pretty nice for a long time. You are sort of getting hammered about this, but just try a few of these suggestions and see what works. Just no rat rod stuff. Good luck, Metalman.

18. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Right a proper paint job would probably cost more then he has in the whole car. There's less then 4k in it and that includes a second car he bought just for the engine.:cool:

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

19. christopher 78

christopher 78

these guys drool when one gets pulled out of a barn and it looks like hell.put yours in a barn and pull it back out with picks. then….. it will be cool! solution!!!!

20. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Yup it's called PAINT...Anybody else tired of the Patina thing yet

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was "patina", 22K original miles:
    [​IMG]

This was "preserved" with diligent blending, a lot of polishing, a restripe and a little bit of new chrome and new tires:

[​IMG]

I'd rather share an example of my opinion than just pontificate on one of our member's inquiries. Just sayin...

As an aside, look in the top pic, rear of the roof near the top of the back window there's a bright spot. That's bare metal from a bullet. There was a bullet hole in the interior side panel on the driver's side about 4" below that "outty" in the sheet metal. A special light from a cop friend revealed blood residue on the rear seat cushions. Morbidly kool...

22. I had a '64 Ford F100 several years ago. It was about 90% factory blue, and had the thin paint/factory primer in the other 10%. I took a ScothBrite green pad and Ajax powder to get rid of the very minor surface rust where it was starting up. After that, a thorough wash, top to bottom. After that, I shot just a very light coating of Krylon flat clear on those areas I hit with the ScotchBrite pad. Once that dried, I used a clay bar on the paint, which did amazing things to the overall look of the truck! Then, I used a cleaner/polish by Meguiar's, followed by their wax. It took a full day to get the truck looking good, but for less than $75.00 in materials and a day worth of labor, I took a truck that looked rough and made it shine very nicely, preserving what TRUE patina is, and that is original paint that needs a "waking-up".

Remember, "patina" is NOT "let's keep the rusty, clapped out look and call it "cool""!!!

23. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

I have used Gibbs Protectant on this type of paint before with success.
    Spray on rag, wipe on, leave it. Plus you can use that stuff all over the house!

24. TheBartBarton

TheBartBarton
    from Venice

25. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

That`s exactly what we did with my wifes `50 green truck.
    Scotchbrite it with lots of soap and water then let it dry.
    We don`t put it in the winter salt but otherwise it gets driven everywhere. The paint just looks aged, not rusty.
    She was tired of worrying about a shiny truck so now she is happy.

The red `48 was sold because she didn`t drive it any more.

Attached Files:

26. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I enjoy seeing a worn looking paint job if done right. I think it`s from years of seeing $50,000 streetrods in lipstick or pastel colors parked together for acres & acres at big shows. I`m guilty too.
    Change is good, trends are always coming and going and it gets down to choices made by the OWNER.We don`t have a say in it.

The OP asked a simple question and like so many times in the past, he was forced to read the banter of others on his choice of finish.
    At least some of us got it and heped him with his original question.
    It`s not that hard to help rather than critique. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board with many decades of experience to tap into.
    So let`s use it to a positive.

Can`t we just all get along?

27. LIKE

Thanks, aerocolor.

Ben

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not to continue the debate about patina, I'm wondering about the stance of that Packard. That is stock, correct? That thing is PERFECT. It looks like the body is draped over the wheels, perfect. For me, seeing the wheels of the car accentuated by the body work, and the choice of color in the after photo, is what cars are all about. We call our rides our "wheels" for a reason, and that's it, right there.

Thanks for posting those photos, I wish more guys here paid attention to the good stuff, this is what makes the site worth reading.

Brian

29. hot water and CLR will kill the rust, lightly scotch brite the rough areas, then spray the clear.

30. Wow, the OP posts up a question and then gets bombarded with everyone's opinion.

I have had nearly every finish you can put on a car, from $15,000 paint jobs, to faded and worn original lacquer, to bare metal, to primer in every color and type. Here's what I have learned:

1): All of my painted cars became pampered garage queens that never went out in the rain, wind, or snow. I never let them out of my sight, and when they got rock chipped or door dinged, I was ready to kill someone because I had hundreds of hours in prep work and thousands of dollars in materials. I could never relax when I was driving them.

2): The bare metal stuff was cool, but it required a little bit of upkeep, and I got tired of the look pretty quickly.

3): I like primered cars, but I got sick and tired of everyone asking me, "When are you going to paint it?

And that leaves the original faded and worn paint jobs. I love 'em, because they're like an old pair of your favorite jeans or a perfectly broke-in baseball glove. A little worn around the edges, but something that you want to drive everyday. If you're out driving it and the weather changes, you're not freaking out. If it gets a rock chip, it's not the end of the world.

So, why are some people so down on trying to preserve the original finish with a wax job or a coat of clear? Try it, you might like it. I came to the conclusion years ago that I would rather be driving something that's not cosmetically perfect than to wait years and years to finish something that ultimately winds up being too nice to drive.

Don't get me wrong, I love and appreciate the look of a nice paint job. With the rising cost of materials today, it's starting to become out of reach of the average builder.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013