Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford 1 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Dec 9, 2013.

1. scotts52

scotts52

Wondering if anyone has converted their 32-34 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck to a pickup using the original frame. I was interested in hopefully using the original frame, wishbones, front axle( with new spindles if they work) later tranny, hydraulic brakes, pickup bed, etc. You get the idea. Use as much of what I have to make like a pickup. Anyone done this?
    I have a 4 cylinder B engine and would like to utilize all I can of what I have.

2. kansasplowboy

kansasplowboy
    from SW Kansas

I have a 34 that is on a truck frame. The p/o put a later model diff in it with parallel springs and cut off the frame behind the box. It was a real butcher job but it's possible if done correctly. I think the running board mounts might set a little different on the heavy truck frame due to its increased height.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. BB frame should be thicker and taller than standard pickup frame. The front axle is also larger. It is all heavy duty truck parts. Can it be done, yes, but you will still have very large heavy pieces that will look out of place for a pickup.

4. It has been done with mixed results,,the frame is considerably heavier and will take some work,,front cross member and center cross member,etc. HRP

5. Here are a few shots of my Model on an AA frame. I'm using it because of the extra size. So far no one has said "what the heck is that?". I say just do it. Using what you have dates back to the very first Rod's. How much more traditional can you get? If your running fenders who's going to know? If someone says something, ask them to show you what they are driving.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

6. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

My '34 in my avatar was a big truck, PO z'ed the frame behind the cab and used a 9 inch out of a sixties ranger. The front axle and bones are '32.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Sure thing, 32-34 BB truck frames though deeper in height and heavier are from the firewall forward the same length etc as the pickup frame as they share the same fenders etc.

On a 32 BB you will not have the frame rail "smile" that the passenger/pickup frames have and, as with 33-34 BB, the frame aft of the cab will be straight rails rather than the taper towards the rear.

8. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

If using an AA frame or big truck frame, should you still box it?

9. jrsiron

jrsiron

Not necessary to box big truck frame. It is 1" taller and a whole lot thicker

10. No need to box the AA frames. I did however install a Chassis Engineering X member.
    The Wizzard

11. Here are a couple pics from the link to the BB/pickup project I'm working on for my dad

Frame rails are deeper and thicker

[​IMG]

In order to fit up a pickup/car front crosssmember the rails need to be pinched

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sectioned the frame in the rear, the rear rails will be boxed on my dads next visit

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  12. stagsview32

stagsview32
    from Nor Cal

Looking good , that's a lot of work on an old BB truck , I am trying to figure out which way to go with mine. It's all stock and rear brakes frozen up ...but cool as hell . cant wait to see more on your dads truck , mine was left to me by my father inlaw who past away he used it on the vineyard and has sentimental value to me.

13. dos zetas

dos zetas

If I inherited that, I'd run it stock. Family heritage and a good example of an American work truck- just my opinion.
    I sure would like a stock BB, just speaking for myself.