Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where is Kong Jackson's nickname from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fpcopo, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Offy 220

Offy 220

Tumbleweed, great story about Kong Jackson. I remember going to his shop in Burbank to purchase the "Miller Dynasty" book written by Mark Dees. He was the only one around who I found was selling them.
    One other occasion was with my dad looking for Winfield carburetor parts for my dad's friend Winfield flathead. I will never forget Wes and Kong discussing [possibly arguing] about 97's on a 4 banger. I really didn't realize at the time the talent that these two individuals had.

Offy 220

alanp561 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Eric,

The Galaxie is North of Denver, it belongs to fella who is on the HAMB. Didn't know if he wanted it known that he has the car, sent him a link to this thread so he can weigh in on the subject if he so chooses.

How's your brother ????

As far as square headlights, I don't remember that detail so I'm guessing no. But it's been a while since I've seen it, work was going on around the engine bay, some things were pulled off the car. They simply might not have been attatched when I was there. Those KONG license plates are forever burned into my memory however.

Johnnie.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. rexrogers

rexrogers

Dave Crouse now owns the Galaxie. the car is in great shape.

<TABLE style="MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; FLOAT: left; HEIGHT: 168px" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; FLOAT: left; HEIGHT: 168px" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; FLOAT: left; HEIGHT: 168px" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 164px; FLOAT: left; HEIGHT: 168px" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hank37, alanp561, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  4. GAMMAKONG

GAMMAKONG
    from California

HELLO TO ALL:

My name is Patricia L. Jackson. Charles D. "KONG" Jackson was my
    Father. Sadly, Dad passed away on September 5, 2000. Many have posted
    questions regarding his "Nickname of KONG."

"KONG" (Dad) got the nickname as a teenager. The motion picture 'KING KONG"
    was playing at the "ALEXANDER" (later known as the ALEX) Theater in Glendale,
    California.

After the film, KONG and his croonies were hanging out in the lavish lobby area.
    KONG stepped in front of the promotional cardboard cut-out of "KING KONG," and
    one of the guys said: Hey Jackson, you sorta look like him (Referring to KING KONG)
    and the nickname stuck.

Dad was slightly buff, slick kakies, and well slicked back Jet Black hair, and didn't take
    crap from anyone! Ha ha....... And that is how my Dad 'KONG" got his nickname!

Thanks for wondering and remembering!

Patricia L. Jackson

jimmy six, bowie, SS327 and 9 others like this.
  5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Wow thanks!!!

6. Yes my dad did get Winfield's car, when he passed away. He donated it to a car museum, but not sure which one.

bowie, Hank37 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Kong was my dad and the 63 Ford Galaxie brought me home from the hospital. Was very sad when it was sold, as I had no control over the sale. I glad to know it is being cared for though. Hopefully it got put back together and is in a museum, as we were told it would be. Hoping to someday be reunited with it, even if to take a picture with it.
    Gwen Jackson

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
    bowie, Hank37, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  8. This thread illustrates some great 'personal' details of hot rodding, and highlights the great connection the HAMB offers....awesome.

Thanks for the detail explanation

Cheers,

Drewfus

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just found this thread for the first time, nice to know that Kong's daughters found it too.

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. RussTee

RussTee

It was 1001 custom@ rod ideas oct 1977 increadable stories on the winfield weekend and the winfield forty both by the late tom senter

11. RussTee

RussTee

oops should have quoted this with the above post

12. ever hear of "meat" in porkys?

13. jpm49c

jpm49c

Kong Jackson at Blakely Stadium ( as in Blakely Gas Stations in Arizona and California) in Phoenix, Arizona at South Mountain Park. He was checking the displacement of the Quarter Midget engines after the race. Also pictured is Dean (won Fuel Class) Lowe's brother Jack and Dad Buzz Lowe. December 1957.
    The track still runs 1/4 midgets to this day but no longer called Blakely Stadium.!

Attached Files:

• elmo.jpg
      elmo.jpg
      File size:
      497.2 KB
      Views:
  14. Kong Jackson ( given name was Charles) was my dad. Yes he did inherate Winfield's Ford Coupe. He didn't keep it though. He donated it to car museum. Not sure which one though.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ha ha ha drink motor oil. Reminds me of a gag an old friend (born 1910) used to pull. He took a screw cap 2 stroke oil can, washed it out nice, and filled it with pancake syrup.

When we went for a motorcycle ride he would bring the bottle into the restaurant or coffee shop and we would pour "motor oil" in our coffee to gross out the squares.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha funny joke.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  16. Just wanted to say it's nice to see that his daughters were able to post up the real details about the man.

kidcampbell71, alanp561 and Hnstray like this.
  17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Now that IS funny!

18. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

One of our club members has a '36 Ford built by her late husband. I thought this was interesting. I have only ever seen a few of these heads.

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      406.3 KB
      Views:
  19. <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Here is a good pic taken in 1976 in front of Ed winfields house in Las Vegas. That was Winfield weekend 76. Pic is from L to R: Kong Jackson (flat head and ignition guy), Ed Winfield (no expanation required) and me Tim Avery checking out my 29 rdst pickup with Cook 4 port. See the 4 cylindar GM dist cap atop a prototype Kong ignition.

[​IMG]

Tim
    <!-- / message -->

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Great photo, Tim. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

21. autobilly

autobilly

x2. Great how this thread has developed.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. NDRTANGMAN1932

NDRTANGMAN1932

does anyone have a picture or one of the kong dist. window stickers? i would like to see it as i own one of his distributors.

23. Here is a crappy pic of the one off 4 banger dist he built for my B motor and Cook head. He used a GM four banger dist cap. But a good pic of him, Winfield and me. That was the day he bought Winfields 40 ford. I will not tell you what he paid. I do remember that it had less than 45,000 mile on it, had factory leather, had not run in years and it started right up
    [​IMG]

Tim

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I met Kong at the Forever4 meet in 1976. Very extending fellow, we were listening to a 4 banger digger resonating 'pulses' at high RPM down at the end....Kong asked, "What's that sound like to you?"
    I said, "Excessive advance...Too much Kong..." He thought that was classic.
    Kong invited my girlfriend and me to the Throttlers' picnic... I think mainly he was 'doubly charmed' with Carolyn's '4 elbows'.
    Pat Ganahl was running his Grandpa's old '46 Chevy, and Julian Alvarez was also there with the ex-Bud Bryan R&C Highboy.

25. rexrogers

rexrogers

I know this an old thread but the Kong Galaxie is getting closer to being back out on the road again. DSC06333.JPG DSC06334.JPG DSC06335.JPG

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've got a '63-1/2 Galaxie too. Mine's white...This motivates me.

27. Way back in the early '70's, I hung out with Tom and Robert Jackson....Kong's sons. We were all in our late teens and created as much mayhem as possible. I remember the Galaxie....I knew it when the right rear quarter panel was off of it. Tom had a blue '63 Galaxie, started out with a 352. He then got a '66 7 Litre...a gorgeous car! Robert set up a '67/8(can't remember which) fastback Mustang with a 406 and tri-power. I was the lone Mopar nut......had a '69 Road Runner and later, a '68 GTX. If any of you here remember Kong running around in a white '63 4 door Comet....he bought the Comet from me so I could get the Road Runner. Kong, via Tom, got me into being a machinist. A vocation I still use on occasion. I'm sorry to hear of Kong passing away. It's a shame our heros can't live forever.....

28. GAMMAKONG

GAMMAKONG
    from California

Glad to know people still remember Dad and his legacy continues!

29. GAMMAKONG

GAMMAKONG
    from California

Well Hello you Old Fart~ I remember your Road Runner(s) Brown, and you had another car, Blue with a white hard top I think~ Take Care~............Patty

30. GAMMAKONG

GAMMAKONG
    from California

Was your Galaxie White/white or White/red? Did you run at any of the local tracks? "Kong" (Dad) also had a white standard 63 Galaxie with red interior, convertable before he picked up his "Special Order 427 - Galaxie 500 xl"............