Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

If the '56 had been run in a Gas class, it would probably have had the fender openings cut up, a fiberglass front clip, and no front bumper. Lower M/P and Stock classes used a 7" tire that fit nicely in the stock wheel well. The Snyder car would have been the correct class from the nearest geographic proximity. I wonder if that racer was related to Marlin Snyder a Stock and Super Gas racer much later. Lyn Smith might know.

Rick, your question ("shouldn't we consider it a possibility of "Winter Nationals" also?") is valid but for the most part, especially in the early days, anyone from east of the Rockies didn't consider the Winternationals to be a very significant race. Anyone who wanted to be someone went to Indy. The winner of the class at Indy was frequently regarded to be the "national winner."

c

2. Chuck Norton your right about the Winter Nationals, actually the Smokers Gas & Fuel Championship at Bakersfield was a much more important race. I can remember a time when the "Nationals" were the race of the season for all of us class racers and not just a place for the NHRA to make money.

No Hot Rods Allowed
    Bill

3. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

It is not Dick Ogles. I believe his car was a 9 passenger wagon later campaigned by Bruce Wilkerson as the " Stage Coach". It is a shame we did not realize 40 years ago what history we let get away from us by letting these old cars get away from us or deteriorate, like I did my 57 ( Carrot Cart). Makes me sick every time I go out to the shop to work on it.

4. Tom 57 150

Tom 57 150

Dick Ogles's "Stagecoach" has been restored. Owned by someone else, though. At least it is another one that was saved.
    Yom

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That D/MP class winner on the list looks like it could be it. Maybe one of the Indy Hi-Winders or Cluster Busters would know the guy. Got to be a few members on here.

6. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

Seems that I saw a photo of Stagecoach maybe at Bowling Green and Bruce's son had it on the street.

7. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

really good to see a little more life in this thread, lets keep it up.

8. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

That would be sweet Tommyd. I've been trying to remember the guys name with the 56. At one time I had his name and number. I had no idea he would scrap the 56 I know he had some history and pictures of it in it glory days.
    At the time I was chasing a led on a 55, me being a diehard 55 guy. But I do remember having a conversation about the Ridgeways tunnel ram. And the Ridgeway 55. Maybe that's why I was thinking M/P class. It's funny how one thing leads to other things. Ron

Picture of Ridgeways 55 after the 65 nationals
    [​IMG]

Later picture with wheel well and class change

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  9. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Looking thru my collection of NHRA rulebooks I find that the 1974 NHRA rulebook is the first to call it the US Nationals on their national event calendar page. The 1973 NHRA rulebook calls the Indianapolis event the NHRA Nationals.

However that same '74 rulebook shows a color photo of two TF dragsters on the starting line at the 1973 Nationals. The centerboard between the "tree" and the starting line clearly says US Nationals. From that photo I would say the name was first used at the 1973 US Nationals. The name probably was changed sometime mid-year after the 1973 rulebook was printed.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  10. Actually , the second picture is after a complete makeover.

1st pic, The car in it's original black and white configuration.

2nd pic, The car in pearl silver and blue metallic applied by local legend "Gordon"
    Note the new teardrop hood and opened up wheel openings, rather than the split flaps.

11. loudbang

loudbang

Actually Ralph Ridgeway himself has been a member and used to pop in every once in awhile. There is a thread on the ram in here somewhere.

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Spoke to Marlin Snyder tonight and he said the car in question was raced by he and his brother in H/S. It was painted red/white and blue and had the "ESSO' put a tiger in your tank logo painted on the trunk lid. Tom.

13. Wow, cool! Ok, who's gonna save it! Was Marlin surprised to hear about it?

14. 1956 pontiac wagon

1956 pontiac wagon
    from chetopa ks

Does anyone know the date for the 2014 h.a.m.b drags in asberry mo. [ mokan ] ?

15. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Thanks Tom for the follow up. That helps answer some question on the car. The guy that had the car when I seen it must of been one of the Snyders sons. Ron

16. vintagespeed

vintagespeed

This was for sale a few years back @ a swapmeet in NC ..
    Looks like a old Junior Stock car . Anyone know the history on it or have picture of what it looked like ? Looking back I wish I had bought it .

Attached Files:

• 631.jpg
      631.jpg
      File size:
      349.6 KB
      Views:
    • 633.jpg
      633.jpg
      File size:
      489.9 KB
      Views:
    • 632.jpg
      632.jpg
      File size:
      454.4 KB
      Views:
  17. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Every riddle has an answer but many are beyond unraveling now that we're 45+ years farther along the space/time continuum. It's gratifying to see this one laid bare. Thanks to Marlin, "tommyd," and Lyn Smith for digging away at the evidence and for bringing closure to this '56. Now, all that's left is for someone to pick up the ball and restore it to former glory.

c

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I believe this is a Windowed Delivery; note the one piece rear gate. Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Good point. I had a '58 Nomad many years ago and it had a fold-down tailgate with a flip-up window.

c

20. Looks like the name on the door is Blankenship. Hank Blankenship was a NHRA guy for a long time and I remember him running a car early on.

[​IMG]

21. Edsel101

Edsel101

If anybody is interested in saving that 1956 Chevrolet I have the owners name and number. It's pretty rough but if somebody really wanted to put it back on the road it could be done. PM me for his info!

22. SMITH&WELSH

SMITH&WELSH

Do you have a better Pic of the torino?

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That's about all I have. My brother raced it for one more year until it was forced into SS/JA then sold it.

24. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

I agree that his has a one pc back gate which you would think would make it a window delivery. I also see in the pictures what looks like to me an original back seat. I do not believe a window sedan delivery would of had a back seat. I have to wonder if this was a two door wagon and the gate was changed to a delivery gate. Only real way to tell is the cowl tag.
    Hope it was ok to add my two cent. Thanks

25. drag race

drag race
    from delaware

seems like a lot of work to change over to the one piece gate, look at bottom where gate would close . no signs of where hinges would have been for tailgate. have to wonder if 2 door wagon would have places for upper hinges.

26. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

This 58 may have had the rear seat added to make it into a 2 door wagon. Some 55-57 deliveries were done that way especially after the hydro was banned.

27. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

Ok. I guess you guys got me on this one. I was a little on the young side when you guys were all racing these cars. So I missed out on a lot of the tricks. Thanks for point out about the hinges. Never crossed my mind. But when things do it is a awful short trip!!!!!!

28. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

I know everybody that reads this thread can certainly read the calendar. Tomorrow is December 11 . The significance of that is it is exactly seven(7) months to the day until the York Musclecar Madness Junior Stock reunion takes place. There's still time to sign up or plan to be a part of it. As you know if you've been following this thread , there will be a ton of cool cars and people there. It's as close as we will get to the 1960's ever again. Join in.
    Thanks!!

29. There was also a Bobby Blankenship who I remember racing a 427 '66 Biscayne. Saw him win Stock class at the Nationals in '79. Don't know what he might have raced prior to that time.

30. goodwrench 1957

goodwrench 1957

Well it's only 6 months to the hot rod reunion, in Bowling Greeb, wouldn't it be neat to have Wayne Jesels 56 delivery and the Gunning bros 57 record holder, in memory lane?