Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rods & The Greatest Generation, Thanks Guys !!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hot Rodding was in it's infancy, the industrial machine was humming along at full speed recovering from the great depression.... Things were heating up more and more over seas,..... But that was so far away.

Young men that had been burning up the streets and dry lakes with there Hopped up Hot Rods were busy trying to squeak out just a little more horsepower and MPH out of there Jalopies......

Without warning on that Sunday morning, radios across the nation started breaking away from normal programing to deliver the shocking news that would change there lives forever in one way or another. Suddenly that extra horsepower and MPH didn't mean as much as it did just moments ago,....

The Industrial machine shut down normal production to retool for defense production....Some stayed home to keep the machines running, some signed up to go off to war, some never came home to run the dry lakes again, dance with there best girl, tuck there children in to bed at night, or enjoy the freedom they paid for in blood,.... Some came home to promote and advance Hot Rodding, racing, And enjoy the freedom,... even the simple freedom to go flying across the dry lakes full throttle with a new challenge in front of them,... trying to out run the ghosts behind them.

Most of us know somebody that answered the call to duty that was noised abroad 72 years ago today,.... My Dad was one of them, As well as a number of old Hot Rod buddies I have had the honor to meet and call friend over the decades......

On this Pearl Harbor day,.... Lets reflect on that "Great Generation" and what they left us,.... Not only the birth of Hot Rodding,... But also the freedom to enjoy it.

My most heartfelt and humble Thanks....

[​IMG]

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

God Bless them all, and thank you for your service. Bob

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

here, here...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. There are so many reasons these men have the dubious distinction of being referred to as The Greatest Generation but just pointing out one small part of the equation is my dad was one of the members of The Greatest Generation.

He served in the Air Corp and was the left blister gunner on a B-29.

Fate played him a good hand because he was the only member of the crew to survive the plane being hit and crashing.

Thank God for the hundreds of thousands of brave men that served in all the branches of service,,these men are fast slipping away. HRP

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

The picture of Hank Negley above was taken after he cam home from the Merchant Marines,.... Then drove that Deuce from California to Minnesota to propose to his best gal and bring her back to Ca. It was his only transportation until 1963.

My Dad came home to work for Ford Motor Co. as a Test Driver at DPG.

Wally Parks came home to become the Grand Poo-bah of all things Hot Rod

Alex Xydias,.. We all know his history.....

Seriously, you cant go through the names of Hot Rod Pioneers without seeing a very large number of WWII Veterans.......

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Bob, Larry and HRP,.... I knew you guys would "get it" on this Pearl Harbor Day,...... Thanks guys.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The American east cost actually found out in the afternoon, due to the time difference, but yes.... Bless them all for a job well done.

8. Without a doubt the greatest generation....people today would never deal with the sacrifices they did in the name of freedom and country.

9. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

thanks to all that served and are serving now ...God bless

10. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

well said..........thank you for remembering

11. zoomma

zoomma

My dad was one of the many that answered the call to duty.
    Harms Way, Thanks for remembering.
    God bless everyone that served and is serving today.

12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen--there are not many left from that era. My Dad was in the Army Air Corps and flew 17's out of England-gone now and lost an Uncle at Pearl as well. I knew many men growing up who were also in the War but never talked about it much--to those who served then and those who serve now we owe a great deal and our freedom. God Bless them all.

13. What made me shake my head today was when my neighbor across the street ,in her 30's and noticed me dropping the American Flag to Half Staff.

She commented that it was nice of me to do that in memory of Nelson Mandela :eek::eek:

Believe me,she now realizes the error of her misgiving and still thinks I'm a curmudgeon,,but by golly I am a Patriotic Curmudgeon. HRP

14. My dad also was stationed in France best I can remover from family. He never would talk about it much . Next door neighbor is a Vietnam vet. He has told me some bad stuff that he seen. God bless this country and all that has served. Can we get a amen?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. This seems to be the norm rather than the exception,my dad had very little to say also.

One thing in particular,he said getting out of B-17's and getting in B-29's was like going from the outhouse to a big house. HRP

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  16. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

My uncle Sammy was a B17 man, out of England. Did any job needed to keep his planes flying, from arming too loading bombs, to cleaning. Didnt matter as long as those planes flew. Still alive at 96 years.

17. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

Thanks for posting that,... Dad always wanted to go to the Arizona Memorial, as he would put it "To see what started it all" ,.... He never made it. For many years he never talked about his time in the Pacific Theater,... But later in my life, when we had more in common, He would share little things here and there, And I could truly appreciate the things he never told anybody before.
    (Dad,... Your secrets are safe with me).

One night when we were loosing him to cancer, And it was only him and I there,... Knowing the understanding I had from my own experience,... He poured out his heart to me of things he never told anybody...... I was glad to be there for him,.... because the things you carry with you in life, can feel like the weight of the world.....

As for TAPS,.... There was a time in my life I had to stand emotionless and stone faced as the music filled the air,..... But with age,... I find the first three notes are enough to choke me up,... I have herd it far to many times.

My unending gratitude goes to all that have served,.... But there will always be a special place in my heart for those I knew,.... as well as didn't know. That paid the price for the freedom I enjoy,....... And I will never forget them.

19. PRICELESS !!!!!! Nuff said

20. Indeed,

Lest We Forget

21. Thanks to my Dad and Uncle and all the others that served. Great Thread!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well said damn do I miss my dad (one of the battered bastard of Bastogne)

23. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

The greatest generation, enough said. The reality of that conflict is horrible, but the idea of good rising to triumph over evil, an entire country joining to focus on one common goal, the brotherhood of WWII is amazing. I am enamored with it. I sure wish more people my age gave a damn where they came from and what got us here... These people must be remembered. Their lives and actions stand for more than anything ever could today.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Respectfully disagree. When the shit hits the fan, Americans have always risen to the occasion, and will do so again, if and when required. Remember, it is their blood running in our children's veins.

Yea, that ^^^, that is the call that they answered.

My dad was Army Air Corps also. They all did what they thought they had to do at the time, and if the need arises again, our progeny will answer the call. Of that, I am certain.

This is sounding borderline political, and for that I apologize, but I cannot keep quiet when I read comments like this. It is not necessary to drag one generation down in order to praise another. What that greatest generation did (and they are the greatest) stands on its own merits. :)

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well said, BrerHair.

26. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Having served this GREAT COUNTRY! I couldn't and never will be able to carry their M1s! Those young men and women knew the meaning of AMERICAN! What it took to defend AMERICA and were MORE than WILLING to protect her at all cost! NEVER and I repeat NEVER will another generation carry the torch as they did! AMERICA has gotten soft and careless there is no PATRIOTISM as America knew and showed then! That generation gave it's all. We are all indebted to their sacrifices! Yes my flag was at half staff for those men and women because without them we wouldn't be here doing what we love to do! EVERYDAY should be PEARL HARBOR DAY!

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

As much as I echo a lot of views on this thread,..... And appreciate the passion,... I would like to see this particular thread stand as a tribute to the American and Allies Forces that fought for our freedoms as well as those that kept the war effort humming along on the home front, All working hard and pulling together for the common good.

Affording us the freedom to pursue Hot Rodding,... Another thing they pioneered and handed down to us for our safe keeping.

Thanks Guys,.....

28. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to add my utmost respect to them ALL... Of the greatest generation : My Dads team designed the Blue Angels planes. My Father-in -law was boots on the ground from Germany thru Russia to France. He took a couple purple heart hits and kept on. My Uncle served in Germany and experianced alot of horrors. None of them would ever say mutch about it... they had just done their duty.

29. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Thanks for starting this thread and thank you to all that have served.

30. My Great Uncle was as D-Day supply guy. We visited the D-Day Memorial when it opened. As a circle track hot rod racer, Uncle Don displayed a humility and service expected of his generation. I sure miss having him on this earth.

I do find myself reflecting how fortunate we all are to enjoy the freedom we call hot rodding. I refer to my roadster as my "Freedom Machine" I hope and think the hot rodders of the Greatest Generation approve.

Respectfully,